Dwarf traits

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Burnsaber

Dwarf traits

Post by Burnsaber »

How about having unique set of traits for dwarves? They would be based on from what clan the unit comes, something like this

Hammerhead: +5%hp, +2 hammer damage
Longbeards: -25%exp reguiment
Bloodaxe: +2 melee damge
fastones?: +1 move and +1 melee

Those are not even near final just something i came up with like in 2 minutes....
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Shade

Per Race Traits

Post by Shade »

Per race traits were discussed before. If I recall correctly they were given the 'KISS of Death' :)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Per Race Traits

Post by Dave »

Shade wrote:Per race traits were discussed before. If I recall correctly they were given the 'KISS of Death' :)
I don't think they were exactly...it's just that all these traits are essentially the same as existing traits, with different names....
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I wouldn't mind seeing one "race specific" trait per race. Elves could have the much-discussed "accurate" trait, Orcs could the briefly discussed "Frightening" trait, etc etc. Dwarves could get another "bonus HP" trait, making them more likely to have more HP than usual, and raising the possibility of "extra-tough 'uns".
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Le Gnome

Post by Le Gnome »

In fact, it seems that those demands are already set in the units lines to show difference between races.

Par example, the accuracy for the elfes is defined as the sharpshooter unit that elvish bowman can advance to.

(sorry for my bad grammar in the last sentence, stuck with it without any clear solution appearing easily).
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

Maybe just specific combination of traits could be just named differently for units. but then the only use of this would be increased flavor...

Like:

strong,resilient = Strongbeard
quick,Strong = bloodaxe
etc....
Last edited by Burnsaber on September 9th, 2004, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
bill_murray

Post by bill_murray »

I think factions need more unique traits and abilities. I know it means more code, but 1.0 is not for tomorrow.
scott

Post by scott »

Uniqueness for factions is not implemented through traits, it's through stats and some abilities that are geared towards certain factions but are not stictly race-specific: stalwart, ambush, nightstalk, etc.

If you want faction/race specific names for identical traits... I understand that it's a cool idea that would improve the atmosphere, but I think you'll get the following responses:

Miyo: submit a feature request
Dave: submit a patch
Turin: no
EP: maybe, but [reasons it shouldn't be implemented]

If the only benefit of race-specific trait names is improve the game atmosphere, the atmosphere can better be improved by finishing the graphics and improving those that need it.

If we're talking about race-unique traits, you add to the complexity and learning curve with dubious benefit besides atmosphere. You would have to really prove a gameplay benefit.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:Miyo: submit a feature request
Well, you guessed one right. :)

No!

But i think Dave Himself (tm) has said that this is a bad idea, so i feel justified in saying no. Unlike many times when i have said no and he has said yes. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Miyo: submit a feature request
So true XD ..so true.

Anyway; this time I -did- read the topic and figured that the only thing left to do is see if certain traits could have further effect on the levels it's not usefull; my bet would be that only "intelligent" gets useless when a unit reaches it's final level and therefore it could get some extra perk (if the +extra hp after reaching final level) was implented it could fix something to that; like only needing 90 exp instead of 100.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

I forgot to put this idea through my KISS filter... I have been thinking of banshees, new traits(tactical, anyone?), and almost every other bad idea that there is. I have to be more carefull from now on

P.S: i even thought about dwarwen battlemaster a unit that would carry as many weapons as possible. impact,blade,pierce melee and ranged(yeah 6 attacks! right....)