[mainline] Wolf Unit Advancements

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Wolf Unit Advancements

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hulavuta wrote:It's a unit from The Dark Hordes, the best IMO Undead campaign ever.
The Dark Hordes is an awesome campaign I have to admit.
But why isn't the campaign complete yet?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

It was probably abandoned. I don't know if anyone is working on it currently. Maybe I should?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

IIRC, AI is the maintainer of sorts, so perhaps talk to him ^__^
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Hulavuta wrote:Maybe I should?
A word of advice though: unless you're an extremely gifted multi-tasker (by which I mean to say the polar opposite of myself), than don't try to work on two campaigns at once... it will be detrimental to both projects.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Bad word drop. I intended "comes from removing demilich from mainline"
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Okay, but I still don't see how it is relevant to what I said.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

Well, this sounds like a good idea, and isn't an old-enough topic to be forgotten. For that matter, does anyone else feel that a lot of factions could use some additions? I don't expect this to get done anytime soon (or even attempted in some cases), but the Nagas, wolves, goblins, ogres, and especially woses seem terribly small to be a faction. In some cases, a fix already exists. Several campaigns have a Wose shaman unit, it just hasn't been included in the mainline unit lists. For other units, is it possible to create different branches of them? For instance, Naga's only have a fighter type of unit. I can't see any good reason (other than lack of sprites) for not including a hunter and spellcaster type unit.

Just thoughts, don't take this too seriously. I'm just getting into Wesnoth so I certainly am not at the level of doing any of this but maybe in a year or so.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

well wolves are normally pack animals so i would expect there to be a leadership trait in their advancement line. however those wolves who become ridden should have lower movement and attack stats due to the extra weight and suppressed instinctive reactions, while those with riders should gain different kinds of attacks (e.g. poison was mentioned) such as ranged.
if you are trying to fill out a faction how about a fear/harassment attack (require more than one wolf unit?), which might lower victims dexterity (number or accuracy of attacks, or defensive ability).
when undead or magic is involved there could be a lycanthropic AMLA :twisted:
Last edited by tr0ll on November 21st, 2010, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
NuclearWorm

Post by NuclearWorm »

It is a good idea for one of the wolf advancements to get leadership power.
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

Arawn wrote:Well, this sounds like a good idea, and isn't an old-enough topic to be forgotten. For that matter, does anyone else feel that a lot of factions could use some additions? I don't expect this to get done anytime soon (or even attempted in some cases), but the Nagas, wolves, goblins, ogres, and especially woses seem terribly small to be a faction. In some cases, a fix already exists. Several campaigns have a Wose shaman unit, it just hasn't been included in the mainline unit lists. For other units, is it possible to create different branches of them? For instance, Naga's only have a fighter type of unit. I can't see any good reason (other than lack of sprites) for not including a hunter and spellcaster type unit.

Just thoughts, don't take this too seriously. I'm just getting into Wesnoth so I certainly am not at the level of doing any of this but maybe in a year or so.
The Extended Era fleshes out some of the races a bit, if you're interested in that. It include a Wose shaman and some extra varieties of naga, for instance.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Arawn wrote:Nagas, wolves, goblins, ogres, and especially woses seem terribly small to be a faction.
They aren't factions. They're small parts of factions designed to balance stuff out (for example, an ogre is a hard hitter, nagas move in water, and goblins are extra spam fodder for orcs).
Arawn wrote:For other units, is it possible to create different branches of them? For instance, Naga's only have a fighter type of unit. I can't see any good reason (other than lack of sprites) for not including a hunter and spellcaster type unit.
Okay. So you're basically saying, make Nagas virtual clones of Mermen? [heh]
Arawn wrote:Just thoughts, don't take this too seriously. I'm just getting into Wesnoth so I certainly am not at the level of doing any of this but maybe in a year or so.
It would probably take months for anyone to add units to Wesnoth multiplayer (SP fine, but multiplayer is where you see them all). Balance = key unit addition problem. Then again, if the powers that be want this doing, I'd be happy to oblige.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: [mainline] Wolf Unit Advancements

Post by Gambit »

The original idea was already accepted, and the art is in mainline for the following:

Code: Select all

Wolf -> Great Wolf -> Dire Wolf
     -> Great Wolf Red
Though I cannot find unit CFGs, I imagine it is only a matter of time. This thread did not need bumped, and all additions to the idea are merely hijacking the OP at this point. Thread locked.