Siege Engines added to game

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
WHY

Siege Engines added to game

Post by WHY »

I know that way to many people think we should have as many units as will fit in a hard drive but I think hat any game set in this technological era should have siege engines.
Just why man?
catwhowalksbyhimself

Re: Siege Engines added to game

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

In this game, castles are just terrain beneficial to everyone, and in some cases not even as good as other terrain. Siege engines make no sense at all in that context.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Welcome to the forums, WHY.

As to the inclusion of siege engines, you are free to make your own units/eras/factions, so feel free to make your own! (In fact other User Made eras *do* have siege engines) However, for inclusion in mainline, I don't think it will happen...

First of all, adding a new unit would cause the need to rebalance the mainline multiplayer, were it added there. Also, as castles are not special, besides granting good defense/allowing recruiting, siege engines wouldn't really act in the role they should play. If you read the stickied Frequently Proposed Ideas thread, you'll see why both adding new units and making changes to the castle tile are not likely to happen.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
WHY

Post by WHY »

Alright thanks guys
Just why man?
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Yeah. To elaborate, the purpose of a siege engine, for example in a game like Battle for Middle-earth, the point of siege weapons are to demolish castle parts and destroy buildings. Well, with the non-existence of buildings in Wesnoth, that only leaves castles. The problem is that castles don't really do anything if there's no unit on it. And destroying it is a BAD idea...
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Actually, there is attilery used for field battles.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
em3

Post by em3 »

Drakefriend wrote:Actually, there is attilery used for field battles.
The OP called for siege engines. Those are used to siege stuff. Also, artillery units would look silly with standard wesnothian one hex attack range.

EDIT: OK, I didn't do my research. Siege engines apparently can be used vs. infantry.
ride on shooting star
WHY

Post by WHY »

I was thinking something like the roman ballista would be more apropriate, which in fact was completely useless against buildings
Just why man?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

em3 wrote: EDIT: OK, I didn't do my research. Siege engines apparently can be used vs. infantry.
And not just for breaking things either. In Return of the King the orcs kill all the soldiers at this one outpost and then launch the disembodied heads at the city to really flip out the citizens. I'm sure there was at least one really twisted person in history that tried that.

They could even launch giant medieval stinkbombs (a precursor to swat teargassing a building before storming it).

But no matter how you make it, it'll still be UMC.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

In [url=http://www2.ucsc.edu/mesa/advisors/treb/The%20trebuchet.pdf]here[/url] it was wrote:It is customary to mention that trebuchets were sometimes used to hurl Greek fire, dead animals, severed heads, and live POWs; but the usual missile was simply a big round rock.
But yes, I don't think this will enter mainline. There were some siege engines created by Neilarmus a while back in the art workshop, but I'm too lazy to look up the thread just now. Search for 'trebuchet' or 'catapult', and it should come up.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

It would be a nice idea to introduce Siege Engines, but I doubt that they will ever be introduced. As someone previously stated in this thread the Roman ballista could be used as it only launches a large ass arrow... But then to be realistic it would need to at least have an attack range of two hex which would require more effort to implement effectively in all terrain and situations than you might think.

Welcome to the forums though, WHY.
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

IIRC, there was a unit with an attack of 4 or 5 hexes in 0.8... a wall guard (that could only move on top of caves), I believe. I miss that multiple-hex range. I'm not sure how hard a multi-hex range would be to implement, but I for one would like to see it back again. If not necessarily for use in mainline, but just to have the ability to use it for UMC and such.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

It is a good feature, and like you I would like to see it implemented, but I doubt it ever will be in mainline. I think there is a post in a topic about it somewhere, I don't remember though.
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

In the user-made campaign "Fate of a Princess", during several scenarios you can use a canon which has a multi-hex attack.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

multi-hex attacks CABD. We choose not to use this in mainline because it goes against the dev's idea of the game.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well