New aquatic village terrain type

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

New aquatic village terrain type

Post by Alarantalara »

In this thread, Eleazar was complaining about the inability to put villages on multiple types of terrain. I posted a new terrain.cfg file there that allows most of the villages to be placed on any terrain. The merfolk villages were impossible to do this with however, without seeming very strange.

Currently, they, and only they, use the terrain of the ground they're on instead of the best of base terrain and village. This appears to be for balance reasons so that villages in the water are not good locations for land units. If I had set them to use only the base to match this, then they would have very strange behaviour in mountains, etc., yet without doing so, I can't make them reasonably placed on reef, ford, shallow, deep, and swamp without defining 5 different versions of that terrain.

So, I propose a new terrain type: aquatic village. It would have suitably bad movement and defense for all land units and suitably good values for aquatic units. It would allow two of the terrains in terrain.cfg to be collapsed into one, and allow for villages in deep water, reefs and fords where they can't currently go.

Edit: If this is accepted I can and will change all of the movement types to include it - I won't be able to submit it as a diff patch on gna though, since I don't have a fast enough connection to reasonably get a working copy of trunk through svn.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: New aquatic village terrain type

Post by Eleazar »

Alarantalara wrote:f I had set them to use only the base to match this, then they would have very strange behaviour in mountains, etc., yet without doing so, I can't make them reasonably placed on reef, ford, shallow, deep, and swamp without defining 5 different versions of that terrain.
I think we don't have to worry if absurd-looking combinations of terrain lead to weird move/defense values. After all you've been able to put lava or chasm under a forest overlay for quite some time now. You can plant forests on water or in a castle. I don't know if anyone has. If they do, they are purposefully doing something unusual. Nobody should be too shocked that we haven't implemented intuitive (if such things exist) move/def values for a mountain merman village or a lava forest.

Certainly we want to avoid circumstances where map-makers could accidentally do something they could reasonably expect to work, but is glitchy-- but i don't think this falls in a different category.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Actually, I played on a max recently where someone had used some overlays for artistic effect, and it looked very nice, but it was very confusing to play on. There were things overlayed onto hills, but the hex was not hill terrain; forests on deep water that could be walked on, castles that weren't... So yes, people have done it before :)
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

In that case, the only reason I can see is to allow merfolk villages on coastal reefs with movement 1 for them but not land units and deep water villages with 60% defense. Otherwise, making it report the base terrain is perfectly fine.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I could see use of forest on elven castle.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hmmm... I think there should be a village where everybody haves a def like of 40%, not high but not low. To do the map creation more interesting.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server.
Try My winning Orocia Guide