Just a random idea...

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Just a random idea...

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

What if every, or almost every level 1 loyalist unit could alternatively upgrade to Lieutenant? That would give an interesting aspect to the Loyalist faction, and give them leadership a much greater amount of the time. (As they should? humans do seem like the ones most inclined to leadership...)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Wow... now that would be cool.

Heavy Inf should perhaps be excluded.
Elvish_Pillager

Circon wrote:Heavy Inf should perhaps be excluded.
Why them? If anyone it would probably be the Horsemen...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Circon wrote:Heavy Inf should perhaps be excluded.
Why them? If anyone it would probably be the Horsemen...
Let's say everybody, you were prolly right the first time. I was thinking that HI are too much of a "slow, heavy fire-power tank" to change their way of life much...
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

It would be kind of cool.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

The bowman and spearman could perhaps level into it, as they are part of the same line thanks to the peasant :)
Elvish_Pillager

Neoriceisgood wrote:The bowman and spearman could perhaps level into it, as they are part of the same line thanks to the peasant :)
Do you mean you don't think Fencers, Heavy Infantry, or Cavalrymen should be able to?

(I think that Horsemen and Mages should not because (A) that is a MAJOR skill change and (B) I don't want this to apply to HttT.)
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Calvarymen- would lose their horses wich is a way to big change.

heavy infantry- would completely change aswell, except for armor type and race.

skirmisher- would only be the same in race and attack type.

as it currently is, only the bowmen could level into one without actualy changing any stats whilst the ranged melee loses 1 strenght,
the idea has massive flaws with certain units just changing way to much.
Elvish_Pillager

Neoriceisgood wrote:as it currently is, only the bowmen could level into one without actualy changing any stats whilst the ranged melee loses 1 strenght,
the idea has massive flaws with certain units just changing way to much.
All loyalist units are fairly simple humans; The idea is you, the leader, promote them to Lieutenants and give them new equipment. Also the 'big change' argument is much less important when it's optional.

(Not that I hadn't expected that response. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't the first.)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I agree with neoriceisgood. It doesn't make any sense IMHO for a fencer to level, even optionally, into a leautenant, or even for a HI or spearman to do it. Plus, i think leader branches should not be obtainable outside of, well, leaders. (in any case we should be consistent. Why can the Dark Adept, Dwarvish Fighter and Orcish Grunt be recruited, but the Sergeant and some mythical 1st level Elf Lord can't?)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Bobtheripper

Post by Bobtheripper »

turin wrote:I agree with neoriceisgood. It doesn't make any sense IMHO for a fencer to level, even optionally, into a leautenant, or even for a HI or spearman to do it. Plus, i think leader branches should not be obtainable outside of, well, leaders. (in any case we should be consistent. Why can the Dark Adept, Dwarvish Fighter and Orcish Grunt be recruited, but the Sergeant and some mythical 1st level Elf Lord can't?)

I can definately see where you are commin from turin but i personally like the idea...i mean if a person changes armor...so what....it happened all the time when a soldier got promoted to a higher spot no matter if that soldier was a common foot soldier or a bowman or cavalry.
sig under construction
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

I like it! it would give the loyalists some unique feel in to them..
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Elder Crimson

Post by Elder Crimson »

I like some of the ideas being tossed around in here. One of the things I have wondered about is when a unit levels up...wouldn't their marksmanship do so as well (5-10%)? If they level up I would believe that that means they also became more profficient at their weapon, which will make taking on skilled units with unskilled more demanding.

Just a thought

Elder Crimson
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Bobtheripper wrote:i personally like the idea...i mean if a person changes armor...so what....
Don't forget that all this happens in the midst of battle! :roll:

I think that giving a "faction" (however tenous that concept is) the ability to change their units into completely differently themed units that would be a strength to be reckoned with. Say you recruited your HI, and your opponent is tough to hit and would take much more damage from blade. Why, then you just conveniently level your unit into a very different type.

Maybe create a "shapeshifter" faction where every level 1 unit can level to any level 2? :wink:

Rhuvaen
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

if the armor thing is such a big problem, why not giving it just to heavy infatry and spearman? and if someone would make a riding commander, we could have it on horseman and cavalry too!
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?