Recruiting units from villages

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Post Reply
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1272
Joined: August 27th, 2004, 8:05 am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Recruiting units from villages

Post by Rhuvaen » August 27th, 2004, 12:05 pm

I just wondered... in some scenarios the leader is just confined to the keep to ensure reinforcements. In other situations you might be forced to flee from your keep to outrun the advancing army.

What if it were possible to do some limited recruitment from villages?

Some limits I'd suggest for that:
- leader must stand next to village with all his move points (i.e. at the beginning of the turn)
- can only recruit units costing 14 gold or less
- cannot recruit in a village if you've recruited there the turn before (but if you had two villages in close proximity, you could alternate)
- cannot recall
- make it optional per scenario or map (switched on or off)

I don't know, maybe these limitations make recruitment too complicated and this idea unattractive for inclusion. I'd just find it interesting to have a rural alternative to the castle, or some possibility for a rebel/barbarian scenario where some sides start without a castle!

User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin » August 27th, 2004, 12:27 pm

I think its too complicated... if you're going to have those restrictions, why have it at all? and it detracts, IMHO, from the importance of the castle as both your starting place and potentially final place for your leader.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1272
Joined: August 27th, 2004, 8:05 am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Post by Rhuvaen » August 27th, 2004, 12:54 pm

turin wrote:I think its too complicated... if you're going to have those restrictions, why have it at all?
Because without those restrictions (while it would be possible to implement), I think it would detract from the castle. With those restrictions, it's just a possibility if you've had to evacuate but need some support from the rural population or if the scenario represents some kind of uprising. It's not really an alternative to the castle under normal circumstances.
turin wrote:and it detracts, IMHO, from the importance of the castle as both your starting place and potentially final place for your leader.
But that wouldn't be appropriate for all types of scenarios, surely? Many scenarios just have you finding an abandoned castle during your journey to allow you to recruit some units, which in some cases is really implausible. It's not really bad, but I think the proposal with the village does offer some alternative.

Rhuvaen

Dacyn
Posts: 1855
Joined: May 1st, 2004, 9:34 am
Location: Texas

Post by Dacyn » August 27th, 2004, 1:05 pm

Rhuvaen wrote:
turin wrote:I think its too complicated... if you're going to have those restrictions, why have it at all?
Because without those restrictions (while it would be possible to implement), I think it would detract from the castle.
turin wrote:why have it at all?
Rhuvaen wrote:Many scenarios just have you finding an abandoned castle during your journey to allow you to recruit some units, which in some cases is really implausible.
Actually they have you setting up an encampment, which functions the same as a castle.

I don't think villages were intended to be able to recruit units, and setting it on a per-scenario basis makes no sense- this is a major rule.If you want a scenario where you don't have to stay on your keep to recruit units, just put some unnocupied castles on the map.

Post Reply