Campaign "checklist"

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
MightyMelvin

Campaign "checklist"

Post by MightyMelvin »

Hi all,

I just got this idea and I think its something worth to consider. The picture I made says enough, I think.

When you get to the "Play a campaign" screen, the game shows you which campaigns you have finished. It checks off the difficulty levels you have completed succesfully.
I think it would stimulate players to try to finish (harder) campaigns. Also it's kinda nice that you don't have to write down which campaigns you did and didn't finish, on which difficulty level.
I don't think it would be hard (difficult to program) to implement this.

Lemme know what you think! Oh yeah please note that this picture is just to illustrate the idea.
I am dutch, which explains both the mistakes in this post and the fact that there's kinda strange language to you in the picture.
Search function was disabled or something, so I checked the few last pages of ideas. Sorry for a duplicate, if thats the case.

Looking forward to replies!

MightyMelvin
StDrake

Re: Campaign "checklist"

Post by StDrake »

in 1.7 it checks off the whole campaign when finished..as for checking also diff levs?..iuno i'm sceptical about that, personally i play camps to get a nice story and some fun maps, so once i go through once it doesn matter if it has other difficulties to try out
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I second this very cool idea.

Maybe they'll have to add global variables for this
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

StDrake wrote:in 1.7 it checks off the whole campaign when finished..as for checking also diff levs?..iuno i'm sceptical about that, personally i play camps to get a nice story and some fun maps, so once i go through once it doesn matter if it has other difficulties to try out
Except... in 1.7, DiD never gets ticked off... because it never really ends.
MightyMelvin

Post by MightyMelvin »

Oh so it's implemented now? Didn't know that, had the idea since I haven't played for some time and I lost track of which campaigns I did and didn't.

Well difficulties don't have to be checked off seperately, I just wanted to give more options and a more thought-trough idea.
But still, I don't think it would hurt to make a check-off-thingy for difficulties too!

MightyMelvin
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

Skrim wrote:
StDrake wrote:in 1.7 it checks off the whole campaign when finished..as for checking also diff levs?..iuno i'm sceptical about that, personally i play camps to get a nice story and some fun maps, so once i go through once it doesn matter if it has other difficulties to try out
Except... in 1.7, DiD never gets ticked off... because it never really ends.
That's not true. I have the wreath for DiD. You have to beat the last scenario once and then die in it some other time. I think.

Also, maybe this could be done with different colored wreaths: bronze for easy, silver for medium, gold for difficult.
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

I find it an interesting idea.
If this will be made real (which, of course, is yet to be decided), might it not be an idea to only get the boixes once you have actually started playing that difficult (as in, you only get to see the High-lord once you start playing the most difficult level) I don't know about you guys but I'd find it rather annoying to see one of the three ticked of and the other two watching looking at me with their large puppy-eyes wanting to be ticked of too (even though I know I will not be able to tick of the third for a looong time).
but that is just my suggestion.
ps, you Dutch? Didn't know there was a dutch translation out there, might try downloading that one for ym lit'le sister, though it seems the translation is not yet finished (aToTB)
Hoping for luck means your strategy could not keep up with reality
Hoping for bad luck means the reality could not keep up with your strategy
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

MightyMelvin wrote:Oh so it's implemented now? Didn't know that, had the idea since I haven't played for some time and I lost track of which campaigns I did and didn't.
You might have missed it if you're playing only the stable versions, 1.7 line is in development stage still and the markings are only there so far

hmm..marking this with different coloured wreaths? yeah i'd agree with that, and that would kindof solve the problem of teasing unticked boxes, especially lower difficulty ones if someone started with hard
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Orin

Post by Orin »

As a collectomaniac, I can say this would probably motivate me to finish every campaign on hard.
I can probably think of numerous people who are the same way.
My motto: "Never trust anything on 70% defense"
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Orin wrote:As a collectomaniac, I can say this would probably motivate me to finish every campaign on hard.
I can probably think of numerous people who are the same way.
Of course, beating it on hard should "collect" the completion for all of the previous difficulties if this system were implemented. If I beat Northern Rebirth on Nightmare, I'm not going to want to play it through 3 other times on the lower difficulties just to get a check mark.

Not necessary since a similar system of measuring completion was implemented in 1.7, but a difficulty thing like this on top of the existing system could be interesting.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
SiriusGrey

Post by SiriusGrey »

I'd second the differntly colored wreaths - that way you don't have to select the campaign to see your achievements.

cheers,
Sirius
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I wonder, would it be possible to make multiple wreaths show for each campaign, or would it just be the highest ranking one (as in, say you beat it on Easy and Hard, would it show that, or just show the Hard wreath)? I'm still on 1.5 (the ancient dev-branch 1.5, no less) so I have no idea how that would affect the layout...
Orin wrote:I can probably think of numerous people who are the same way.
Like myself ;)
Wait...Orin..? Sounds familiar...
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Skizzaltix wrote:I wonder, would it be possible to make multiple wreaths show for each campaign, or would it just be the highest ranking one (as in, say you beat it on Easy and Hard, would it show that, or just show the Hard wreath)? I'm still on 1.5 (the ancient dev-branch 1.5, no less) so I have no idea how that would affect the layout...
Orin wrote:I can probably think of numerous people who are the same way.
Like myself ;)
Wait...Orin..? Sounds familiar...
I'd prefer to have it just show the highest difficulty level you completed it on. If you play HttT on Hard, you shouldn't have to go back and play it on Easy later on to get full completion.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Good point--I can see that getting a little silly. In something like a Bond shooter where playing a level you've beaten on hard through again on easy is no big, but in Wesnoth, it's an entire campaign, and takes time no matter what the difficulty is...