Restricted Terrain in the Map Editor

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Araja

Re: Restricted Terrain in the Map Editor

Post by Araja »

Aethaeryn wrote:Being afraid of the text editor really limits your scenario-building power.
Well, be honest, it's possible to make your map unplayable or even destroy your game with 1 typo.

But yes, being able to make the final boss invisible for example can be great fun.
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

I'm for hiding the restricted terrains for now, but perhaps making some of them unrestricted further down the road when the map editor is expanded. I like the Dwarven Doors, mine shaft, and bird nest tiles from various official campaigns and wish they were part of the normal set. I could see them used as decoration on MP maps.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

mabeenot wrote:I like the Dwarven Doors, mine shaft, and bird nest tiles from various official campaigns and wish they were part of the normal set
Those are not map tiles at all, they are scenery that is placed on the terrain with WML.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

Turuk wrote: Those are not map tiles at all, they are scenery that is placed on the terrain with WML.
Oh, I see that now. Could they be enabled in the map editor at some point? I know the rubble scenery is already included in the map editor.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

mabeenot wrote:Oh, I see that now. Could they be enabled in the map editor at some point? I know the rubble scenery is already included in the map editor.
Read this topic and this post in particular.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Personally I didn't realize that they were restricted until after I tried a map with them, then realized they made it broken.

But who's fault is that? Me for not knowing better? (Which I did just from experience, not WML knowledge) Or the program being at fault?

I just had to say something after reading the first few posts.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Ryorin wrote:Personally I didn't realize that they were restricted until after I tried a map with them, then realized they made it broken.

But who's fault is that? Me for not knowing better? (Which I did just from experience, not WML knowledge) Or the program being at fault?

I just had to say something after reading the first few posts.
1.7 turns the terrain's names into red when you mouse over it, and gives a warning under the terrain name.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]