The Hall of Heroes

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
kyi_the_bard

The Hall of Heroes

Post by kyi_the_bard »

Just a nice little extra feature that came to mind.

It allows you to record *an amount* of troops that you had recruited, and allows for a brief message. It would be used to remember all those random troops that you really grew to love.

The format would be something like...

*The unit's name*
*The unit's ending class*
*When it was recruited-When it died/or other such stuff*
*Memoir*

Example:

Del
Elvish Sorceress
Recruited In The Heir to the Throne *The first scenario*-Served until she was no longer needed. (Won the Game)

"I wanted to record Del here because I didn't want to forget her. She was the first troop I had recruited, and she survived the entire game. Not only that but there was one battle in which I had her lead a small group straight to an Orcish leader. There was a very fierce battle, (All the orcish grunts were slain along side her small band) leaving only her and the leader alive. He had 5 hp and she had 7, so in a daring assault I had her march up to him and hit him with her staff. She hit and did 4 damage, he missed, and even though she had 40% accuracy she hit him again and leveled up. From then on she was my personal favorite unit."

It's just a rough idea, but it would really be nice to be able to preserve all those good memories.

*To bad I have a sinking feeling about this, I really like it even though it could use refining*
Meow
JW

Re: The Hall of Heroes

Post by JW »

kyi_the_bard wrote:Just a nice little extra feature that came to mind.

It allows you to record *an amount* of troops that you had recruited, and allows for a brief message. It would be used to remember all those random troops that you really grew to love.
It's called a pen and paper. :wink:

Wesnoth will never do this for you.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Actually I hate to contradict anyone, but I always thought this was a pretty good idea. It'd add to the RPGish feel and the attachment one to have one's troops. It might even act as some kind of 'consolation' when a beloved unit dies to have a record of their accomplishments.

I never got around to implementing it, though...
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
kyi_the_bard

Post by kyi_the_bard »

Yeah, I really liked Del, it would be nice to remember troops better.

And I don't know where Turuk's post went, but I didn't mean to imply you do it for every troop, just pick and choose, so you don't even have to make one for any of your troops, if you didn't want to.

I would try to make a "mod" for Wesnoth that did this, but I have no knowledge of the WML.
Meow
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

kyi_the_bard wrote:I would try to make a "mod" for Wesnoth that did this, but I have no knowledge of the WML.
It's never to late to get started but much early to contemplate before that.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

kyi_the_bard wrote:And I don't know where Turuk's post went, but I didn't mean to imply you do it for every troop, just pick and choose, so you don't even have to make one for any of your troops, if you didn't want to.
Removed as I did not realize this was a back-burner idea, and I figured posting something a bit more constructive as it was brought up for consideration might help.

Personally, I can see keeping a record of the accomplishments if it was done for you by the game, but the implementation of actually giving the player a window in which to write a record of how a particular unit did in this or that battle seems unnecessary.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Turuk wrote: Personally, I can see keeping a record of the accomplishments if it was done for you by the game, but the implementation of actually giving the player a window in which to write a record of how a particular unit did in this or that battle seems unnecessary.
Yeah, I don't think the player should be able to write notes. Hardly anyone would do that.

My idea was for Wesnoth to intelligently generate a description of a unit's career:
Career of Deln wrote: Deln was first recruited as an Elvish Fighter in The Elves Besieged. He fought seven times in his debut, and killed two Orcish Grunts.
Deln served again in The Isle of Anduin. He barely avoided death at the hands of an Orcish Warrior. He killed a Goblin Wolfrider and an Orcish Warrior and became an Elvish Hero.
Deln was slain in The Siege of Elensefar, falling at the hands of a Goblin Knight. He killed a total of eight foes in his career, and had risen to the rank of Elvish Hero.
...don't know how interesting this could be really made, though.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
kyi_the_bard

Post by kyi_the_bard »

If it auto recorded you'd get a lot of units that just happened to be promoted once.

Loads of elves named Cel (I get a Cel EVERYTIME I play as elves) That killed a few orcs might get irritating, and you'd lose track of that one Cel you really liked.

Notes could be written later on from the Character's page.
Meow
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

The idea is cool, but you need some way to carry all the statistic of all the units from one scenario to other. It seems a bit tricky.

PS- If you only get record of units you select, how to select a dead unit? Should the game stop after every kill to ask you?
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
kyi_the_bard

Post by kyi_the_bard »

After every battle you'd be able to select units that died. If a unit made it to the very end, they would be included in the last list.
Meow
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

I would settle for just being able to flag any unit as 'special' in some way. Give them a bronze crown, or a badge or something. And not that I've investigated but I suspect that can already be done in WML.

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Simons Mith wrote:I would settle for just being able to flag any unit as 'special' in some way. Give them a bronze crown, or a badge or something. And not that I've investigated but I suspect that can already be done in WML.
/me hands Simons Mith a cookie.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Turuk wrote:
Simons Mith wrote:I would settle for just being able to flag any unit as 'special' in some way. Give them a bronze crown, or a badge or something. And not that I've investigated but I suspect that can already be done in WML.
/me hands Simons Mith a cookie.
CABD and all that, but it would be nice to have this as a mainline feature that can be done in any campaign, or even in MP. Just saying. :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

Meanwhile, it CABD in debug mode. :P
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I think this would be good.

My rating.

Persuasion - 9/10
Originality - 10/10
Clearness - 9/10
Idea itself - 8/10