Suggestion for Wesnoth to be better.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Divine Crusader

Suggestion for Wesnoth to be better.

Post by Divine Crusader »

I think Wesnoth need some upgrade.Let's start with this one.

Maybe,we can turn Blood bat to Dread bat.
Lich to Ancient Lich
Undead squire to Death knight.

The truth is this system aka Advancement system suppose to be more creative.More advancement from one unit is very interesting and creative.I think Wesnoth is lack of units for certain faction.Also,why not bringing some units which were removed from Wesnoth as it advances to a better stage.A rework on the unit and it will be consider an unit to be play in Wesnoth.Making a few new units will be fine and not just only it will attract people to play since a few units are made and it is available in Wesnoth,it also show Wesnoth is special and creative.

Furthermore,Wesnoth is lack of races.
Gnomes,Fairies,Nyphmy,Dark elves and some other races can be added to Wesnoth.
I know that everybody is going to say that is why faction and era contribution section is open to everyone.
No.What i want to say is Wesnoth should have more of its idea.

Campaigns.I wonder they will make their own campaign again ?
Last saw was UTBS which is still is not complete based on what i think.
Also,not need to say why Scenario and campaign development section is for.
I know but i want to see Wesnoth contribute its own idea.

Add in a few extra features will do like the option to see resistance and status immediately.
Some of the ideas suggested by fans are really reasonable and can be used for the game.

That is all.I hope everyone understand.
Lord_Aether

Re: Suggestion for Wesnoth to be better.

Post by Lord_Aether »

How about no.
mrmoose

Post by mrmoose »

umm have u heard of the extended era? it has pretty much everything u just suggested of what should be put into wesnoth already made for u :) . download it from the add ons server
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Okay, well, this addresses it all at once. As mrmoose mentioned, most of what you already said exists in the addon eras and other assorted downloads from the addon server.

You have noted that you know this, and are much more interested in seeing that content make it into mainline Wesnoth. Fair enough.

However, Wesnoth has spent the past number of years struggling and striving to reach a balance. While you can argue one way or the other on how well that has been achieved, I am merely putting out the amount of time and effort that went into getting the game as it is to the point that it is at currently.

Moving on, each faction has a unit tree that has been tailored, trimmed, added or cut from in an effort to achieve that balance. Every unit was drawn and animated (and yes, I know it still is not complete), and even now, the people of the game are in the process of updating the art. If you wander over into the art forums, plenty of people donate their free time and effort in order to give something back to the game.

In regards to number of races, ask any old old player how many races were in the earlier versions. I know, I was there. :) The choices now are nice.

As to campaigns, you are right, in some ways it seems as if the same campaigns have been around in Mainline for ages, with one added here or there. Seems like slow progress for such a long time, but think of what it takes to make a suitable campaign for mainline. It must fit into the history of Wesnoth, either by building off of already established events or time periods or building it's own little niche. It must be balanced on all of the difficulty levels so that players of the other mainline campaigns have an idea of what they're getting into when they pick Easy, Normal or Hard. It must be well-written, interesting, and complete.

On the same note, if you honestly feel that a UMC has been developed to that point, I direct you to where in the past campaigns have been pushed to be included into mainline. While this is dated, this will give you some idea of the thought process that goes behind including campaigns. Well, before it devolves into a discussion on criticism.

Yes, some of the suggestions put forward by fans may seem reasonable, and it seems as if they should included in the game. But often times they detract from the direction in which the developers are taking Wesnoth, or the idea is not polished enough to warrant taking the time to try to expand on it. Not to mention, many of the ideas sound great, but with the workload having to be on the developers, they don't have the time to spare on it given that they are each working on their own projects. That is why whether it's a campaign, faction, or other idea, you're most likely to see it given due consideration if it is complete, well-outlined, and prepared. You would not show up to a presentation at a company with half your slide show missing or incomplete would you?

Well, that's enough doddering along out of me, I hope I provided some resolution.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Divine Crusader

Post by Divine Crusader »

I see.Thanks for the explanation.Although,you are mostly right about 95%.
5% says Wesnoth needs their own idea.I just worried that Wesnoth is out of idea.
I just want to say about that.
You will never escape from justice if you committed a sin that many won't forgive.
Hide all you want but you can't escape from me.
~Divine Crusader~
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It's a game, it can't be 'out of ideas'. However I assure you that the people who are working on wesnoth arn't out of ideas.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
defunct

Post by defunct »

You have some interesting ideas but also some ideas which I think would not make Wesnoth more popular with mere players.
Divine Crusader wrote: (...) I think Wesnoth is lack of units for certain faction.Also,why not bringing some units which were removed from Wesnoth as it advances to a better stage.A rework on the unit and it will be consider an unit to be play in Wesnoth.Making a few new units will be fine (...)
I don't think so. Wesnoth has over 150 units (i've eventually stopped counting but they are all on http://www.wesnoth.org/units/1.5.5/C/mainline.html ). That's more than many other TBS games have. There should be a motivation for each unit that exists. When two units are too similar there will be always one that will get used and the other one will only be used by inexperienced or curious players. I think it's a problem of many free games that content does not get better but just more and more.
Divine Crusader wrote:Furthermore,Wesnoth is lack of races.
Gnomes,Fairies,Nyphmy,Dark elves and some other races can be added to Wesnoth.
I know that everybody is going to say that is why faction and era contribution section is open to everyone.
No.What i want to say is Wesnoth should have more of its idea.
Again, I disagree with the idea of more races. Wesnoth has 5-6 full-fledged races: Elves, Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, (Mermen), Undead and a few supporting races. I agree that Wesnoth should more of its idea. But in my opinion development should concentrate on the existing races. Where do they live? What about their culture? Their religion? Most fantasy books do not have more than a few races but the reader gets much more background information. It's this depth I would like to see in Wesnoth. I think the world of BfW is too shallow. On the other hand the player should not be forced to look at this background information if he or she does not want to see it. You don't need to know about Orcish culture if you just want to play MP games, do you?
Divine Crusader wrote: Campaigns.I wonder they will make their own campaign again ?
Last saw was UTBS which is still is not complete based on what i think.
Also,not need to say why Scenario and campaign development section is for.
I know but i want to see Wesnoth contribute its own idea.
I would really like to see a "standard" campaign which is sort of a game of its own set in the Wesnoth universe. If the power of the community focused on one story this story could be told in a much more fascinating and enthralling way. I'm aware that this is not easy to achieve. Current campaigns also don't provide enough motivation for me to try and beat the next scenario. I mean, I must cross this ford and find the sceptre of fire because I need to get king. But I do not need to cross that ford because there is an old friend of mine on the other side who is nearly getting slaughtered by these orcs and who is also an awesome fighter which would come in handy in later scenarios. In my opinion some more role playing principles would be fine.