Quimera

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Fosprey

Quimera

Post by Fosprey »

I always found quimeras to be one of my favorite myth units, and i find strange that in different eras and campaiigns, i was able to find lots of mythological units but no quimera.
It can be a unit that have multiple type of attacks, like poison, fire, and blade.
I think it's a pretty intersting unit since you can do it do a lot of things.
I always loved quimeras based con lion figures, but quimeras in general are cool creatures.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Re: Quimera

Post by Neoskel »

I believe you mean Chimera. I'm not sure where your spelling comes from.

There is a Chimera sprite floating around here somewhere, but it's not the classical mix of lion, goat and serpent/dragon.

I'm gonna go find it.

Edit: I found it, theres one instance of it in Invasion from the Unknown. It's a reptile-rooster-scorpion mix. Attaching it.

Well, look at it this way: There ain't any Manticores, Cyclopes, Hippogryphs, Cerberi, Sirens, Harpies, Centaurs, Gnomes and many other mythological units in any UMCs either.
Attachments
chimera.png
chimera.png (2.75 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

in the minotaur faction by quietus, there are centaurs; and battlestars demon faction/campaign had cerberi.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Also, the mermaid siren is mainline. ;)
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Syntax_Error wrote:in the minotaur faction by quietus, there are centaurs; and battlestars demon faction/campaign had cerberi.
Hmm its not really a centaur, more of a centaur/minotaur fusion.

I was actually considering making sprites completely based on greek mythology. They wouldnt make a faction but would be avaliable from UMC for whoever wanted them... though time has not been on my side lately and the countless number of ideas i want to make reality have all been put on hold :?
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Syntax_Error wrote:in the minotaur faction by quietus, there are centaurs; and battlestars demon faction/campaign had cerberi.
Well those mino-centaurs don't count. And that faction isn't on the campaign server is it?
AI wrote:Also, the mermaid siren is mainline. ;)
Sirens are bird-women, not mermaids. The confusion arises from words similar to siren being used in other languages to mean mermaid. Plus she ain't supposed to be an actual siren anyways.

There also aren't any Phoenixes, Satyrs, Fauns, Gorgons (Medusae), Brownies, Gremlins, Kelpies, Selkies (which i think should replace seal units), Leprechauns, Sphinxes, Kobolds, Lindorms, Hippocampi and tons of others from less well known mythologies.

Heres a wiki page for some perspective: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo ... d_Folklore

Funnily enough, the list goes on through modern fictional monsters too.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

A chimera (I think "qimera" is a transliteration thing, and not necessarily wrong) would be a very interesting modification, if it incorporated three different (very different) attacks.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Neoskel wrote:Sirens are bird-women, not mermaids. The confusion arises from words similar to siren being used in other languages to mean mermaid.
I think you meant "Sirens were historically bird-women, not mermaids". As fictitious creatures, we're free to define them as we like, and there's a lot of precedent for the mermaid version...
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

irrevenant wrote:
Neoskel wrote:Sirens are bird-women, not mermaids. The confusion arises from words similar to siren being used in other languages to mean mermaid.
I think you meant "Sirens were historically bird-women, not mermaids". As fictitious creatures, we're free to define them as we like, and there's a lot of precedent for the mermaid version...
Well a rose is a rose by any other name. And anyone used to calling them roses will stick with it even if everyone starts calling them blearghs.

Personally i'd prefer it if sirens were kept as bird ladies, unless they aren't an actual unique thing. I.e. i'm ok with the as a 'class' or mermaid, especially since theres a precedent with classes of elves being called sylphs and shydes. But if they were fish-people as a species called siren, unique from merfolk then i have issues.

But i don't really have much say in what the world does, but i would love it if people stuck with the original meaning of most words.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Neoskel wrote:Well a rose is a rose by any other name. And anyone used to calling them roses will stick with it even if everyone starts calling them blearghs.
My point exactly: most people familiar with the term will think of mermaids - that's the term popularised by (modern translations of) the Odyssey. That's what I meant by "there's a lot of precedent for the mermaid version" - regardless of the original origin, the mermaid version is more popular these days.