Ability - Pillage

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
godt

Ability - Pillage

Post by godt »

Hi again - my english still didn't get better - so if anything is not clear - please ask!

The Idea behind the Skill "Pillage" is, every beginning of a round a unit with this ability standing on a village, the owner of this unit gets a +1 to gold.

I think this would give the the Goblin Pillager a bit more... ehrm... "pillage".. whatev...

Please post your opinion!
Urs
Art Contributor

Re: Ability - Pillage

Post by Urs »

:| Wait, what?

How is this any different than what already happens when you grab a village?
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

I think the concept was when a unit with the Pillage ability grabs an enemy village the controller of said unit gets +1 income along with the extra income the claimed village supplies.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Okay, that makes much more sense.

I don't have much to say on the actual idea though. Doesn't sound too bad, but I don't know about mainline. Maybe UMC, and make it more gold... 1 is a bit low.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

If the unit is standing in a village, it will add en extra gold to your income for the village. That would be useful in campaigns, when you send units one way, and your main force the other way, and won't have time to rejoin.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It would be really silly if it became economically a good idea to recall pillagers just to have them sit in villages and get you extra gold.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

turin wrote:It would be really silly if it became economically a good idea to recall pillagers just to have them sit in villages and get you extra gold.
Well, if the "event" only activates when they steal a village from other player, rather than by staying on the village to net you +1 gold each turn could make more sense.

Aka, you don't steal money from your own villages, but with the pillage you would gain immediately +1 gold for entering in a enemy village rather than waiting a full turn. (good news, even if they kill and recover the village, you already got 1 gold income from that village)

It isn't really unbalanced that way and you will get a nice flavor. (and in case you are short of 1 gold, you could get a village and buy the unit a turn sooner)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

The trouble is, when you capture an enemy village, it becomes your village, and starts yielding income, so it makes little sense to get extra income each turn as you "pillage" it merely because it used to be an enemy village.

I like Verdanna's version:
When a unit with "pillage" captures a village, you instantly gain X gold. No steady stream, just a one-off boost. The value of X can of course be discussed - something between 4 and 8 gold would probably do the trick.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Sangel wrote:I like Verdanna's version:
When a unit with "pillage" captures a village, you instantly gain X gold. No steady stream, just a one-off boost. The value of X can of course be discussed - something between 4 and 8 gold would probably do the trick.
You'd want to make sure it's either only one time or you don't gain that benefit if you're capturing from an ally. Otherwise you go pillage back and forth with a friend, getting mega gold.

However, I think messing with income like this is sketchy.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Are we revisiting that idea from 2004? (maybe 2005)? With the Goblin Pillager getting extra gold by standing on a village? I remember some one performed necromancy on that thread not too long ago. Maybe he saw this coming, but it was in vain.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Ken Oh wrote:You'd want to make sure it's either only one time or you don't gain that benefit if you're capturing from an ally. Otherwise you go pillage back and forth with a friend, getting mega gold.

However, I think messing with income like this is sketchy.
That seems like a necessary restriction, yes.

And yes, it is a very old idea. So old I've completely forgotten how the for and against arguments ran.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

I think every unit in this game already has a pillage ability, that's why the poor townspeople pay gold in the first place. After all, would you rather defy a lich or lvl3 troll rather than a goblin if it asks for your money ?!??