Option to turn off Auto-movement at start of turn

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
halifix

Option to turn off Auto-movement at start of turn

Post by halifix »

I am one of those people that clicks around the board a lot. And this causes problems, because Wesnoth thinks everytime I click I want it to do something. One of those things is clicking empty hexes. The game likes to assume I want the unit to move there next turn... and this is annoying, because I never use this feature, and often I can't undo my move, or I don't notice and do some action with another unit... and now my merman is on grassland.

Can there be an option in preferences to turn off auto-movement?
CarpeGuitarrem

Re: Option to turn off Auto-movement at start of turn

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

You mean multi-turn movement? I know, that happens to me too. Honestly, it just works better for me to train myself to be more careful with my clicks.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Oh man! This issue has been around forever. I remember posting on this subject several years ago.

The general consensus was: don't use multi-turn movement. Fine - why have a feature that shouldn't be used?

I think some people said that it'd be nice to have a button or hotkey for a "complete multi-turn movement" command but then the topic was completely forgotten. That way you could decide for yourself when your units should move.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

If you have accidentally set a multi-turn movement for a unit, you can cancel the path by double-clicking on the unit. You may not be able to undo your misclick, but at least this way you'll only have one turn of woe.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

I wouldn't mind it being made clearer to show how to cancel multi-turn movement. I've just been clicking all over the place until it goes away.

However, if you do get unwanted movement at the start of the turn, you can normally undo it. "u" is your friend.
halifix

Post by halifix »

I know how to cancel multi-turn movement... it's just that when I don't notice it, it screws me up. And being me, this happens once or twice a game. Perhaps a small icon to show a unit has a move planned for it next turn could be added? It could be just a different colored orb, say green. Or just allow you to turn off the feature (it seems like turning off a feature is a lot simpler than making the feature in the first place).
Can someone link to this previous multi-turn movement thread? I've searched, but can't find it.
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Here you go:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10326

It's funny that you have mentioned the orb - exactly my idea in the old thread. :-D
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It would be really nice to have it so that clicking outside a unit's movement range didn't get the unit moving in that direction but then stopping before it gets there and completing its move the next turn. I almost never use that feature, and often it just causes problems - my most common mis-click (which is un-undoable with FoW on!) is trying to attack an enemy unit, using the mouse-over thing, and accidentally clicking so it thinks I want to come from the top, where my unit can't get to... then my unit goes all the way around the enemy, doesn't end up next to him ('cause he's avoiding ZoC, right?) and can't attack at all. Really irritating. [/rant]

It would be better, IMO, if multi-turn movement was something you had to activate with a hotkey or something each time you used it - so, shift-clicking outside your movement area would move the unit there on a multi-turn path, otherwise, it would do nothing.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm