Campaign finished "tick"

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
borsook

Campaign finished "tick"

Post by borsook »

A request for a tiny feature - I'd find some sort of indication of which campaigns have been finished quite useful (in whatever form, maybe a small "tick" sign under the description).

As for, a very personal, justification - I tend to start each campaign at the highest difficulty level, which often results in my failing after x map, usually I try to come back to that campaign after some time, which due to RL can mean a lot of time, and often just do not remember which ones I finished...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Even better would be for it to tell you on which difficulty levels you had beaten it.

But I'm not sure if even what you requested is possible... how would it know you've beaten the campaign, after all?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
borsook

Post by borsook »

turin wrote:Even better would be for it to tell you on which difficulty levels you had beaten it.

But I'm not sure if even what you requested is possible... how would it know you've beaten the campaign, after all?
Not knowing anything about the code, still it would seem adding something to the description upon completing the campaign (e.g. triggered together with displaying credits) should be doable...
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Yes, that's probably the most doable. Perhaps change the color of the campaign's name in the campaign list and then changing the description to say it's completed and at what level. So it looks something like:
  • This is a campaign about killing lots of Undead and Orcs.

(Easy campaign; 8 scenarios.)

CAMPAIGN COMPLETED [CHALLENGING]
A text file could record if you beat it or not and on what level, and then the game reads the text file and applies changes accordingly. Yes, you could cheat the system by modifying that file, but you'd only be cheating yourself.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
scott

Post by scott »

Allow campaigns to define badges similar to those you find on wikipedia. This is a basic example, because the variations are endless.

There is a set of simple parameters you use to define these nifty little boxes, mainly text, text color, background color, and image. "This player has completed the campaign ______ at the _____ difficulty. optional witty quote!" You could specify any image in the campaign's external images directory (still have those?) but they should be scaled to a standard size.

When the game encounters badge WML, it saves the badge somewhere in the player's .wesnoth directory. On wikipedia, badges are described through simple html, but as was mentioned you would only need to make WML keys for a small set of parameters. For example:
[badge]
text="This user has completed Heir to the Throne on #normal# difficulty"
text_color=ffffff
alt_color=00ff00
bkg_color=000000
image=whatever
[/badge]
Inside the text key, maybe modifiers like # could make text bolded or an alt color. To make it fancier, you could modify the border colors too.

When the [badge] tag appears in a WML event, it's awarded to the player. The campaign writer would need to remember to award completion badges in the final scenario, divided by difficulty IFDEFs.

Allow players to display their badges with a button on the main menu. Players should be able to delete malformed, outdated, or beta-version badges.

The best part is that campaign writers could award a badge for anything: "This player saved the gryphon eggs for Konrad." "This player defeated all clan leaders." "This player recovered the ancient artifact ____." Anything. But, the primary purpose would be to mark completion of a campaign at a given difficulty level.

There were 80+ something pages of unread posts for me, so forgive me for not keeping or catching up on whether or not this has been proposed in the past. I know how ideas fare around here. How ironic that I am now (as in the beginning) on the opposite end of the idea exchange.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

scott wrote:Allow campaigns to define badges similar to those you find on wikipedia.
Sounds like an excellent general and flexible idea to solve this.
scott wrote:There were 80+ something pages of unread posts for me, so forgive me for not keeping or catching up on whether or not this has been proposed in the past. I know how ideas fare around here. How ironic that I am now (as in the beginning) on the opposite end of the idea exchange.
Welcome back? :)
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
db0

Post by db0 »

Actually that sounds like a great idea and I'd like to expand Scott's post some more.

Perhaps it could be implemented in the the game to either have a tracking system in a server.

The way I think of it is that you could click on a tab (button?) next to each campaign in your list and the game would query the special server and see who finished which campaign in which difficulty as well as the awards received. You could then have a kind of "high score" for each campaign.
If there was also some way to make this integrate with an html page somehow, players could be able to link from their signature for the cred factor :)

Once you finish a campaign, the game would ask you if you wish to upload your results to the server. You could then either keep your results local or put them up for everyone to see.

No certain how this could work with different versions of campaigns but I am guessing that it should also report the version a campaign was finished.
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

This idea even has more farther-reaching applications: sequel or integrated campaigns. Using this, you can track how you advanced your leader, what loyal units you managed to preserve, what choices you made, etc., which could be read and interpreted by the next scenario.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Holy crap, it's scott.