About WML deprecation warnings

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Tux2B

About WML deprecation warnings

Post by Tux2B »

Sorry if this issue has already been debated. If it has, feel free to lock this thread.

The issue I wanted to post about is about WML deprecation warnings popping up in middle of multiplayer games : they are quite annoying and even though you can use ":clear", they can take up to half of your screen.

Here are two proposals to solve the issue :
1. have messages only be shown once by issue (don't show twice the same error message)
2. have an option in preferences to turn it off (I couldn't find one)

(I am using 1.3.8)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I agree that this is annoying. When using 1.3.7+ (SVN) before the release of 1.3.8, I was one of the first to be annoyed by it. I actually approached a campaign developer about the errors of his campaign on IRC and he didn't even do anything - proving how it just serves to annoy people - both playing and making campaigns.

Perhaps only have it when debug mode is on? Unless it's my campaign or era, I'd hardly care about the message and tend to just :clear and if I don't care enough about the upkeep of my campaign/era, let it go into disrepair. I also think it slows the time to load the map to do the repetitive scan every single time I play a campaign or play multiplayer even though I've ignored it 100 times before and rarely add anything.

It might not make me stop playing the game, but little annoying things like this add up to make someone frustrated at the game and so I think a less annoying default option should be used by 1.4.0.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Aethaeryn wrote:I think a less annoying default option should be used by 1.4.0.
I guess this is being used now to make all content behave properly by 1.4, or identify content that is going to be removed by then.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

What Rhuvaen said. 1.3.7 is the Wesnoth Development branch and we want it throwing up flags if something is wrong so 1.4.0 can be made as pristine as possible.

And IMO Campaign creators not maintaining their campaign is a separate issue that should be pursued through avenues other than engine features.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

But a nice way to disable these warnings would still be nice AFTER we are aware of problems - then again, if its a lot of work I guess its not that important ;-)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

The point of these messages is to annoy you a little bit so that you will be motivated to tell the UMC maintainer to *fix it*!

To clear the messages, just use the :clear command.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Agree with most devs here....

1) if a feature is deprecated in 1.3.x, it will be removed in 1.3.(x+2) so the timeframe to fix is rather short...
2) when an UMC is fixed, a new version is uploaded to campaign server right away => whenever it's fixed you can upgrade right away. The best way to have the warnings removed is to have the content author update his stuff, there is no inertia on that side....
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Well, as long as those messages are going to disappear as soon as 1.4 is out, and that there won't be too many versions between both, it doesn't really bother me. (I perfectly well understand the reasons behind it)

I understand that 1.3.x is a development version, but still a lot of people use it to play games on it. Maybe in the 1.5.x development series, those deprecation warnings could become an option, or at least would not repeat themselves.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

What about mainline like mage of light or galleon, who I also get errors for, and not just at the beginning of the map?
pauxlo

"XRPG Steppe Spearhead" on Rebels vs. Rebels

Post by pauxlo »

Hmm, i just observed a game of rebels against rebels (Default Era) on a mainline map (Blitz?), and got Deprecation-messages for "XRPG Steppe Spearhead".

This unit belongs to another era (extended era Steppe Orcs, showed a search on my hard disk), and there is no cause this should give any messages on such a game, IMHO.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

All multiplayers eras belong to the same cache namespace, thus having such warnings is normal...
Btw for the EE, i already fixed all the steppe orcs, but still have a lot of others units to update (at least Aragwaith, Sidhe, Windsong, Fairies, Wyrms...)
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

Well its the development server after all. Lllokign forward for the updated extended era as I think many of the units there are especially cute. Tux to have these messages go away you should simply deinstall extended era for the moment . If not somehow the "messages" even pop up during a "normal" game
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Actually such complains show that the deprecation messages do their job at least to 50%. They annoy people. Next step is to direct the complainst against authors not updating their stuff.
BTW you should notice that wmllint will probably make 95% of all required changes automatically so there's rather little work involved in updating lots of stuff.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Noyga wrote:All multiplayers eras belong to the same cache namespace, thus having such warnings is normal...
Btw for the EE, i already fixed all the steppe orcs, but still have a lot of others units to update (at least Aragwaith, Sidhe, Windsong, Fairies, Wyrms...)
Good news for me.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Aethaeryn wrote:What about mainline like mage of light or galleon, who I also get errors for, and not just at the beginning of the map?
there shouldn't be any warning from mainline units... what depre message do you get ?

are you sure you upgraded wesnoth properly ?

no UMC that overrides mainline units ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim