Slight animation/graphical niggle - walking on water

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Slight animation/graphical niggle - walking on water

Post by thespaceinvader »

Firstly, let me mention: i'm new to the game and forum, so sorry if this is in the wrong place or anything of that nature (if it is, please move it to the appropriate place, thanks =)). I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that seemed to match this, so also sorry if it's been posted before...

It concerns those flying units (the only ones i've noticed so far are Drakes and Gryphons) which land at the end of their movement (as opposed to bats etc which don't). When they land on water, they appear to walk/stand/float on the surface, which looks decidedly odd to me.

It seems to me that two possible solutions to this problem exist - one would be to have the units use their flying animation/frame when stopped over water - as i understand it, this ought to be possible for (most of) the drakes, as i think they fit into the hex when they're moving, but not for gryphons, which do not. The second would be to have them use the same half-submerged look as the other units when they land in water.

Can anybody shed some light on whether this is possible for me? Thanks.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Animations can be filtered by terrain so it should be possible I'd guess. Just some special casing to have them use an alternate frame for standing while over water. Of course, the required art needs to be present as well.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

torangan wrote:Animations can be filtered by terrain so it should be possible I'd guess. Just some special casing to have them use an alternate frame for standing while over water. Of course, the required art needs to be present as well.
Actually, it'd be really ackward to do it in WML.

I'm not quite sure how this one could be solved. It doesn't indeed make any sense for a drake or gryphon to stand on the water, as they're not flying in their base frames (unlike bats and ghosts for example). Movement animations for these units would still need to be "floated", but the standing animations/frames not.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

IIRC Drakes don't fly, they kind of glide and jump along the ground, and when they're in water they kind of swim along the top... so the drakes-on-water could actually show them submerged. I really don't know what I'm talking about though.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'm just sorry that I can't currently help to do something about it, but WML is well beyond me at present.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

it can't be done right now... (the is_flying flag is the one deciding if a unit can be submerged in water)

there are all sort of special cases in the animation code, and flying is one of them... it would be great to get rid of it, but it's not trivial.

I plan to do it when the rest of the anim engine is ready to have it, but the time has not yet come...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

I think gryphons standing on water looks ok, they look like they still were flying, but drakes don't, they don't even if they move, except you consider them some sort of DBZ guys.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

O_o a landed gryphon looks like it's flying to you? The don't have their wings out...

But meh, it can't be done right now, and it's not exactly something I can't live with =)
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

what could be done is to use a flying anim as the standing anim when on water/swamp

the unit would be flapping its wigns permanantly, but it would work...
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

That was one of the workarounds i thought of myself (particularly for the Gryphons, which it strikes me, would be unlikely to be able to swim/be submerged and then actually take off again...) but i was under the impression that a basic standing (or in this case, flying) still frame had to fit inside the hex, which the gryphons' flying animations (and some of the Drakes' too i think) do not. Or am i wrong about that?
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

thespaceinvader wrote:O_o a landed gryphon looks like it's flying to you? The don't have their wings out...
Ahhh, I was thinking of the 1.1 gryphon. Yep, with the new icon it looks weird.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Ah, no worries =)
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

turin wrote:IIRC Drakes don't fly, they kind of glide and jump along the ground, and when they're in water they kind of swim along the top... so the drakes-on-water could actually show them submerged. I really don't know what I'm talking about though.
Try stopping one on top of chasm.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Dagnabit i knew i'd forgotten to mention something >.<
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

thespaceinvader wrote:That was one of the workarounds i thought of myself (particularly for the Gryphons, which it strikes me, would be unlikely to be able to swim/be submerged and then actually take off again...) but i was under the impression that a basic standing (or in this case, flying) still frame had to fit inside the hex, which the gryphons' flying animations (and some of the Drakes' too i think) do not. Or am i wrong about that?
true...

my way of diong won't work either...

well, you'll have to wait, then, I'm afraid..