New support-ability idea

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
hunz

New support-ability idea

Post by hunz »

Wesnoth have some support abilities (heals, cure, leadership), my idea is to increase this list.

Making a new ability that acts like a "long-range leadership" (just like, it affects only nearby units).
When your turn starts, every unit that is near the unit with this ability will receive a boost on fighting skill just like it's fighting under leadership.
It lasts until the start of your's next turn.

Example:
Your turn starts, one of your units is standing next to the unit that have this support ability and receive the "boost" from it. The unit moves towards the enemy and attack it - the unit will fight like it's under leadership. You end your turn.
Enemy turn starts, it attacks your unit (still with boost stats - still fight like it's under leadership). Enemy turn ends.
Your turn starts, the unit lost the boost stat and will fight normally until it's received again.

* Having your unit under the boost stats or in the side of a leadership unit will be the same - having both won't give any bonus.

This will guide Wesnoth's support-units to another level.
I don't know which units should have this ability, but I guess it's a good idea to improve gameplay.

My suggestions for this ability's name is "Yell" or "Warcry" so it won't look too magical - just like an "encouraging" to the unit.

Hugs,
Peace.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

An interesting spin off of this would be an ability like "great leadership" or "epic leadership" or something like that. The idea would be to give leadership a greater range, but for ever hex away, the leadership acts as it were a level lower. For example:
A level 4 leader
1 hex away gives leadership to 3 and below
2 hexes away gives leadership to 2 and below
3 hexes away gives leadership to 1 and below
4 hexes away gives leadership to level 0

More of a UMC idea than mainline wesnoth, for the great commander of all the troops, it would be interesting to hear if it can be done.
Sorry for the meaningless post
nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

Lionhearted
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
hunz

Post by hunz »

Did any dev. read this?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

This seems like an idea that someone might try add for their campaign... On the other hand, long range leadership is not remotely practical to implement in WML.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Elvish Pillager wrote:[...] On the other hand, long range leadership is not remotely practical to implement in WML.
I haven't written WML for ages. IIRC, you can check when an unit is about to attack, then check if there's a leader in some radius; after that, apply a temporary bonus to the unit's attack, and remove it when the attack has been done (event implemented in 1.1.x?) or when a new turn starts.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Shadow Master wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:[...] On the other hand, long range leadership is not remotely practical to implement in WML.
I haven't written WML for ages. IIRC, you can check when an unit is about to attack, then check if there's a leader in some radius; after that, apply a temporary bonus to the unit's attack, and remove it when the attack has been done (event implemented in 1.1.x?) or when a new turn starts.
Nope, wouldn't work. It's really not practical, unless you're content with every move that makes a unit either leave a leadership radius or enter it invalidating your undo ability.