Great Mage suggestion

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Agreed there - it always mystified me that the lowliest of dark magicians gets 2 different magical attack types, and the greatest mages in wesnoth get only one.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I've been thinking the same thing, perhaps allow him to do arcane or something. I've always pointed out that a Dark Adept is more useful than a Great Mage in magic because if a Great Mage comes across a drake alone it's dead and for the same price (assuming you directly bought and didn't recall) you could get several DAs to kill the drake. Meanwhile, DAs don't really have a magical weakness since generally a unit is weak to either cold or arcane.

Great Mages having a secondary, weaker arcane damage would allow them to not kill some units and White Mages and Elvish Sorceresses do arcane so it's hardly an uncommon light magic.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Kens_Mom

Post by Kens_Mom »

Aethaeryn wrote:I've always pointed out that a Dark Adept is more useful than a Great Mage in magic because if a Great Mage comes across a drake alone it's dead and for the same price (assuming you directly bought and didn't recall) you could get several DAs to kill the drake.
That example is a bit extreme, since the drakes resist both the ranged and melee attacks of the Great Mage while extremely weak to the DA's cold damage.
Aethaeryn wrote:Great Mages having a secondary, weaker arcane damage would allow them to not kill some units and White Mages and Elvish Sorceresses do arcane so it's hardly an uncommon light magic.
This would be a bit redundant, since the only situation where fire is resisted and arcane isn't is against the drakes, in which case you're probably better off advancing your Mages into White Mages.
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Actually, I'm sort of used to Great Mages having only the two attacks that mages start off with. It makes them the "unspecialized and strong" form of mages. I wouldn't want the Great Mage have more attacks than their advancefroms. Adding a simple weapon special would be great, though. Giving them magical melee would solve all problems, IMO.
Changeling

Post by Changeling »

peet wrote:I actually pretty much never level to the Arch Mage/ Great Mage anymore. The Silver Mage's teleport is too useful, and the problem with the Great Mage is that he pretty much kills everything. It may seem strange that I'm complaining, but I prefer to let my high level units support my lower level units to allow them to level up. I want the lower level units to make the final kills. That is pretty difficult with a Great Mage, since the Great mage seems to kill everyone, wasting those XP on a unit that cannot level any more. As a result I always go to the Silver Mage line.

If the Great Mage had a second spell option that did less damage I'd actually be more likely to try to get them.
I think Peet has a good point. Maybe the Great Mage should have a different attack (I am in favor of lightning) that leaves only 1 HP, so that other units can get the XP.
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Changeling wrote: I think Peet has a good point. Maybe the Great Mage should have a different attack (I am in favor of lightning) that leaves only 1 HP, so that other units can get the XP.
You know, you call that "torture" and it's nothing that fits with a Great Mage. lol.
Changeling

Post by Changeling »

CIB wrote:
Changeling wrote: I think Peet has a good point. Maybe the Great Mage should have a different attack (I am in favor of lightning) that leaves only 1 HP, so that other units can get the XP.
You know, you call that "torture" and it's nothing that fits with a Great Mage. lol.
Ah, but old men are sadistic.
Kens_Mom

Post by Kens_Mom »

How about a weaker attack with slow? That should help low level units get kills. Though I'm not quite sure how to make sense of it. Maybe a very, very weak cold/arcane attack?

Personally though, I'm perfectly fine with the Great Mage having only a single ranged attack.
Raemon

Post by Raemon »

How about a better movetype or more moves? We can always set the AMLA to 200-300 XP or something. It's annoying sometimes how slow the Great Mage is.
I'm a newbie. Don't listen to what I say.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Raemon wrote:How about a better movetype or more moves? We can always set the AMLA to 200-300 XP or something. It's annoying sometimes how slow the Great Mage is.
Which brings us around again to Levitation. There's a couple of versions of this floating about[1]. I like the idea of reducing all movement costs by 1 to a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 2.

[1] pun unintended.
Isen

Post by Isen »

I think the current set-up works best flavour-wise. Comparing a Great Mage to a Sylph is misleading given the lifespan of the two involved. The latter had centuries to perfect their art, the former decades. It is only fitting that the elves had time to master gimmicks such as flight while humans had to rely on the essentials: brute force.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

I vote for either making the great mage's melee attack magical or for giving it an additional cold attack that does about the same damage, but has less strikes.
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

Let's compromise:

melee (8-2) slows Magical
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I vote not giving great mages a slowing magical attack, they are hard enough to kill without them slowing down your melle attackers.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'd vote for a low-damage slowing ranged attack rather than a slowing melee. Then they can only slow one melee fighter per turn...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.