Rename the "Fighter" units?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Jetryl wrote:
Syntax_Error wrote:warrior is almost synonymous to fighter.
At least in my sense of the words, warrior seems a lot more potent than fighter. Fighter evokes an image of boxers, or sport-style martial artists (c.f. "prize fighter"); it also evokes an image of partisan combatants against an external aggressor (farmers rising up to fend off raiders, "indian fighters" being conscripted to fend of tribal agression).

Warrior, on the other hand, evokes an image of people who don't do play fighting, but whose livelihood is warfare; things like viking/barbarian warriors, like mongol raiders. Warrior has a far more savage/primitive connotation than soldier, at times; but in the same fell stroke, it also has a more honorable connotation than the modern soldiers, who lack several practices that warriors of old used to have, such as personal combat with an opponent, or even being able to see the people you're killing (many modern soldiers never set eyes on the victims of their weapons. For example: the thought of two champions in a medieval fight facing off against each other, while their compatriots (who aren't actively embroiled in melee) stand aside and watch, is reasonable - the thought of two modern soldiers having a "wild-west" style standoff is just preposterous.

So, a "fighter" would be someone who is normally a farmer, but ends up in soldiery temporarily; a "warrior" would be someone who's been holding a sword since he could walk.
both are commonly used in mythology and fantasy for someone often engaging in fight, especially melee one. but i think it is the "warrior" that has to change, ok maybe Fighter too. a level 2 drake could surely use a less common name. the same with nagas.

Drake Squire -> Drake Armiger (?) -> Drake Blademaster

Naga Shudra -> Naga Kshatrya -> Naga Raju

(as imo naga SHOULD have indian names, myrmidon feels strange. basically, Shudra = prole, Kshatrya = knight, Raju = ruler)
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

From what I recall from taking an "Introduction to Eastern Religions" class, Shudras and Kshatriyas are entirely different castes and one can't be promoted to the other. So it's probably not a good choice to use both for names on the same level-up scale.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

khamul wrote:
Rhuvaen wrote:Dwarvish "Clansman" clashes with the later Dwarvish "Lord". Clans are ruled by the head of the family, not by an aristocracy.
Fair point. I'm not sure that it matters, though.

Lord of the clans sounds fine to me.

I can't imagine that dwarves would form a regular army they are stronger than the average elve and human without training and they are probably more rare than humans so the will work most of the time and in case of war every member will grab a weapon and start to fight.

The dwarven guard line could be the exception because you always need some guys to guard the caves and someone who holds up the rules.

I like the direction of the proposal "Clanmember > Thane (or Thain) > Clanchief"
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
thissneppah wrote:Troll Warrior –> Troll Giant (A big troll, what more to say)
How about just "Giant"? :?
Most fantasy worlds consider giants to be a separate race to trolls. It might confuse people for a troll to become a giant - and it'd be nice to keep open the option of introducing a race of Giants...

Titlewise, I suggest "Troll Behemoth", "Troll Colossus" or maybe "Troll Hulk". The last one sounds most like a troll name but has pop culture associations that might be hard to shake.

Re: the Dwarves, I think "Dwarvish Clanlord" has a ring to it for the L3...
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

irrevenant wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote: How about just "Giant"? :?
Most fantasy worlds consider giants to be a separate race to trolls. It might confuse people for a troll to become a giant - and it'd be nice to keep open the option of introducing a race of Giants...

Titlewise, I suggest "Troll Behemoth", "Troll Colossus" or maybe "Troll Hulk". The last one sounds most like a troll name but has pop culture associations that might be hard to shake.
Agreed that there still might be Giants in the game.

I think looking for antonyms of whelp is a good idea. Hulk sounds good (not everyone is going to think of the incredible here). I think Troll Titan could work, plus it has alliteration.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Ken Oh wrote:
irrevenant wrote: Most fantasy worlds consider giants to be a separate race to trolls. It might confuse people for a troll to become a giant - and it'd be nice to keep open the option of introducing a race of Giants...

Agreed that there still might be Giants in the game.

I think looking for antonyms of whelp is a good idea. Hulk sounds good (not everyone is going to think of the incredible here). I think Troll Titan could work, plus it has alliteration.
titans are in mythology and also usually in fantasy (like that of HOMM and Warcraft) VERY intelligent beings, troll really doesnt fit.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Yes, the Titans of Greek mythos were like supermen, much bigger, much stronger, much smarter- much better in every way, and adding that to a troll seems to be just combining two fairly different mythical creatures... like creating a 'dwarf elf' if you would... I do like Troll Behemoth though, or perhaps Troll Juggernaut, as they do wear extra armor even if their resists aren't really improved...
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
unsung

Post by unsung »

Just replace elfish fighter with shieldman, or shield fighter, maybe put elvish in as well. swordfighter could be better, to keep with a scheme of naming base figters for their weapon, but someone would get it confused with the swordsman eventually.
Dwarf fighter? Dwarf axeman.
Merman fighter? Merman trident whatever.
You get the idea.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

as has already been stated in this thread, dwarf axeman is a problem, due to the fact that they use hammers as well...
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down