non-castle "keep"

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
deonjo

Post by deonjo »

Maybe a keep could be called a "command post" or point, and can be represented by a Banner, like those scroll kinds that we have for the maps now, or by other stuff like lafgs, or skulls ect... I personally think that a banner would especially cool. If you have the undeead, then maybe we can create a certain kind of banner it changes to, once an undead leader occupies the "command point." the banner can change styles and color depending on what type of unit is residing on the point, or what color team. But, perhaps it might seem a little wierd to have a yellow banner representing the undead. But it might be cool.

However, i think the glowing tiles for recruit scares would be cool, because then they do not have to be connected, and yet you can still recruit from them, and know you can.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

The problem with glowing tiles is that it's not clear what they mean. It could mean anything from a power-up to the ground being toxic! (Ooh, toxic terrain - now there's an interesting idea...)

I think probably the best suggestion so far is a small standard banner.
gabe

Post by gabe »

A bigger banner for the keep and smaller banners for the recruit hexes
happy timezone traveler
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I think this is a great idea. I dont think a lack of tiles should be basic to dismiss the idea, you could just overlay a red flag or similar to denote that this is a special place, or even make it invisible and intro it at scenario start - i just dont think that it should be waited too long for proper tiles :P
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Seems to me the hexes you can recruit on should just be marked by being dirt that has been trampled down underfoot - it would be a lot smoother than the actual dirt tiles, but it wouldn't be a road tile.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

turin wrote:Seems to me the hexes you can recruit on should just be marked by being dirt that has been trampled down underfoot - it would be a lot smoother than the actual dirt tiles, but it wouldn't be a road tile.
So, elves wouldn't ever recruit in forest (as an example)? How about mermen or nagas recruiting in the water? Dwarves in the mountains?

Granted race-specific muster points gets WAY more complicated (and pretty much impossible to balance), but the point here is terrain-independent recruitment points, not just one more terrain available for recruiting (yay, castles and dirt instead of just castles...).

For a campaign with lots of mixed unit types, I could easily see the desire for a muster point with multiple recruitment point terrain types: water, forest, hills, and grasslands. (Not that you HAVE to recruit a unit on its favored terrain type, but it would make for good story-telling for, say, a large alliance of races to have their HQ at a place where all races are comfortable).
Insert nifty witticism here... if only I had one.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Sorry for the thread-necromancy, but I've been pulled away from Wesnoth for a while, and I wondered if there had been any development on this idea.

Any updates?
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

deoxy wrote:Sorry for the thread-necromancy, but I've been pulled away from Wesnoth for a while, and I wondered if there had been any development on this idea.

Any updates?
I a month ago (or so) played the campaign Ilyain the illusionist (or similar), and there one of the first levels have a "dirt-like" recruitment place.
Look the WML to see how this is made.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

deoxy wrote:Sorry for the thread-necromancy, but I've been pulled away from Wesnoth for a while, and I wondered if there had been any development on this idea.

Any updates?
The idea is perfectly acceptable; the holdup is getting good images. This isn't a high priority for me (in fact, I have so many other things I'm working on that I'm pretty much never gonna get to it).

Anyone else is free to work on images, but they _must_ be as good as the other images in-game. Also, be careful not to have conflicting concepts - you'll need to have something that doesn't visually look like it gives defense, and it shouldn't have a flag (since that would be confused with villages).
Erk
Art Contributor

Post by Erk »

If i can get back into doing graphics I could try doing a banner and a loosely fenced-off grassy region to represent a Muster Point. I don't see why they would behave differently from a castle. Making it castle-style is like 10 minutes of graphics work. Just a flag for the base and some kind of fence or cordoned-off area.

Heh. I wanna use "police line do not cross" tape. Doh.
Warning: I am not reliable.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Erk wrote:If i can get back into doing graphics I could try doing a banner and a loosely fenced-off grassy region to represent a Muster Point. I don't see why they would behave differently from a castle. Making it castle-style is like 10 minutes of graphics work. Just a flag for the base and some kind of fence or cordoned-off area.

Heh. I wanna use "police line do not cross" tape. Doh.
Some kind of cordon would be nice, but the whole point of this is to make it "terrain independent", so just making a third muster point (grassland, as you mentioned), while nice, still isn't quite what's needed.

But I'm glad to see the interest! Hmm, might start a thread over in the graphics area...
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Would it be possible to use the WML to allow only one or two units to be recruited at a muster point, but to allow it to be recruited at any adjacent hex to the muster point?
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
Erk
Art Contributor

Post by Erk »

CG, trouble is the more you add of that kind of rule, the more players have to remember. Wesnoth is built around easy to remember.

If the castle-less castle were done as a transparency it would be easily ported to nearly any kind of terrain. That's how it should be done anyway. Then it can be installed for desert, grass, hill, dirt, etc... only forest is missing for elves, and getting a "muster area" in the forest to show from the air is going to be tough no matter how you slice it.
Warning: I am not reliable.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

This is a significant change and just a suggestion, but perhaps the "encampment" could be a candidate for making into a non-castle keep. At the moment, it duplicates the function of the castle hexes, and it's always been a bugbear of mine that an encampment gives the same amount of defence as a castle.

But it's just an idea.