choosing race in MP hidden

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
witek

choosing race in MP hidden

Post by witek »

Would be nice to have it, so my opponent doeasnt take i.e. loy when saw my choosing drakes. Would it be much work to implement it? Or only I find that feature useful.
elricz

Post by elricz »

I think this is the drawback of not going random, you get the advantage of playing with your preferred race, but your enemies knows it and can play accordingly. I like it the way it is now.
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

This is a different matter. He says that if he chooses a faction, then the enemy chooses another faction that he thinks is best against his opponent's faction - IE he takes drakes, his opponent takes loy.

Well whatever, theoritically you should be able to beat the loy because everything is balanced etc.. So if you both choose your race, it is handicapping for you both
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Under that circumstance he probably is going to do the spearman horsman thing. If I saw my opponent do that I would go extra heavy on saurians, and clashers.
JW

Post by JW »

Don't play with people that try to counter your faction as host. I think that's garbage.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

IMO, it's a good suggestion. It's unavoidable in hot-seat, of course, but over the 'net there's no reason why the other players should know in advance what faction you've chosen.

There could be an option on the game-creation screen to enable and disable visibility of faction choices.
JW

Post by JW »

irrevenant wrote:IMO, it's a good suggestion. It's unavoidable in hot-seat, of course, but over the 'net there's no reason why the other players should know in advance what faction you've chosen.

There could be an option on the game-creation screen to enable and disable visibility of faction choices.
That doesn't help. If factions aren't visible then the host could change a players faction with out them knowing it.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

JW wrote:
irrevenant wrote:IMO, it's a good suggestion. It's unavoidable in hot-seat, of course, but over the 'net there's no reason why the other players should know in advance what faction you've chosen.

That doesn't help. If factions aren't visible then the host could change a players faction with out them knowing it.
Well, the player would damn well know? :o
JW

Post by JW »

zookeeper wrote:
JW wrote:That doesn't help. If factions aren't visible then the host could change a players faction with out them knowing it.
Well, the player would damn well know? :o
I guess that's true, but I was thinking that if it's more than 2 people then the other people wouldn't know.

Also, the host could change the player's faction, the player requests to be changed back, the host asks "which faction", then the host knows the players faction anyway.

I mean, changing the visibility options isn't going to make it less easy for the host to mess with a player to get an advantage. At least if picks are visible then everyone knows what the host is doing.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Does the host have to have the ability to choose (and/or see) a player's faction?

It seems to me that, most of the time, a player should have the freedom to choose their own faction.

In fact, I can think of occasions when the scenario should assign factions, but I can't think of a time when it should be the host's perogative...
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

Then that would have to be changed too for this idea to work.
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

What about join as observer & placed in slot?

Note that this is currently done when the lobby is crowded and joining directly gets that well-known error message.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Konrad II wrote:Then that would have to be changed too for this idea to work.
IMO, it should be - at least as default. I hadn't realised that the host could override the player's preferences.

Again, if a given MP scenario calls for particular factions that can (and should) be built into the scenario anyway...
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

Maybe, when the other more important things are done, the game join menu could be changed, so that you first join the game and then thant you are able to chose race as you like.

(like it is in warcraft or starcraft)

-> first join as random

-> then everyone can chose the race
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

How about this:

When you join the game, you can choose a faction "Hidden". When the game is started, before the first round all players who chose "Hidden" must choose their faction. The choice is not displayed to others. After they all choose, the game starts.

This way it is possible to make your faction unknown also in hotseat game.

If you do not care about hotseat game, there is one more simple way. Next to your faction choice have a checkbox "hide your choice". If that checkbox is clicked, opponent does not see what you are selecting.