New terrain: forest village

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Alks

Post by Alks »

I'm for Haibane's variation. However, some few more details could be nice - just to make it clear, that this is a village not tree infested by woodpeckers. I don't know - maybe some pallisade.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

@Flach In similar vein, a Google image search for 'treehouse' gives a good variety of inspirational images. Unfortunately not many of them are shown from a viewing angle that could be used in-game.
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

If I find the time, I might make a more serious attempt at this, but I'm working on quite a few things already (art and coding for four separate factions, extremely complex coding for another era, portraits for another user's campaign which may not even happen, and bad attempts at sprites for EoM), so even if I do get around to it, someone else will likely have already done an equally good one. I do like this idea, though.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

Alks wrote:However, some few more details could be nice - just to make it clear, that this is a village not tree infested by woodpeckers. I don't know - maybe some pallisade.
Good point about woodpeckers :D
But I wouldn't make pallisade, that would be out of place here. We will try to make something about it, mb different colors.

@Simons Mith
It's nice to have many pictures, we have some too - unfortunately it's not so easy to convert them in few pixels (at least my friend says so and I believe him). So this is not so useful hint.

@Fiach Dubh
I don't like your idea, but you can convince me with final product. My ("hard working") friend makes one image per month, so it should be easy to be faster. Every good attempt is welcomed :P
If it's all a dream, now wake me up. If it's all real, just kill me.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Great! I had been waiting to have one of these for years!

BTW, has the Wesnoth tile system changed? I haven't really been around for a while, and last time I came here, people were debating about the matter.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Tux2B wrote:BTW, has the Wesnoth tile system changed? I haven't really been around for a while, and last time I came here, people were debating about the matter.
That project is still WIP and is in the final stage :)
(It won't be used in 1.2 but that was never intended.)
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I just realized there is a thread about it. I'll try to read through it.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

Just to bring this idea back (now when we have multiletter system), anyone would be willing and able to finally do it ?
It's a shame but obviously I'm not able, sorry :roll:
If it's all a dream, now wake me up. If it's all real, just kill me.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Haibane wrote:Just to bring this idea back (now when we have multiletter system), anyone would be willing and able to finally do it ?
It's a shame but obviously I'm not able, sorry :roll:
Not that I think that it will work.

I like the idea it will take four hexes though if I ever finish it but which hex will trigger the ownership of the town.

Infact I think it won't work for Wesnoth.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

if I understand how multi hex terrain work, there could be two different owners.. i.e it would work like two adjacent villages

unless you implement it like the elvish tree, in which case the choice is yours
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Boucman wrote:if I understand how multi hex terrain work, there could be two different owners.. i.e it would work like two adjacent villages
It has previously been suggested (by me :)) that it might be good to have some 'city' art as a graphical overlay for multiple adjacent villages.

IIRC, though it would look pretty darn cool (IMO), the idea kind of languished due to a general opinion that clusters of villages was probably unbalanced...
Drumbeat

Post by Drumbeat »

irrevenant wrote:
Boucman wrote:if I understand how multi hex terrain work, there could be two different owners.. i.e it would work like two adjacent villages
It has previously been suggested (by me :)) that it might be good to have some 'city' art as a graphical overlay for multiple adjacent villages.

IIRC, though it would look pretty darn cool (IMO), the idea kind of languished due to a general opinion that clusters of villages was probably unbalanced...
Would a multi-hex overlay work with "city Hall" being the active village hex for capture purposes and the rest treated as castle hexes with appropriate overlays?
DDR

Post by DDR »

So, the graphics for the city would work like the mountains do?

Also, I would like a true forest city... I think elves would not hack out a chunk of forest to build their cities in, but would build their cities around the forest, around the trees. (or not build cities at all?) I would love to help with the graphics, but I am a very poor artist...

If whoever draws the city in the end can leave the border the same as the forest, the same transitions to different terrains from the forest can be used, thus saving a lot of time.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Well the city I've drawn could be placed like a single town. the problem is it shoud stand on a 2 x 2 hex grasland else it will probably look ugly.

At the moment I'm not even really sure if I did hit the needed perspective right.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes