Bootable Wesnoth CD

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
moxlon69

Post by moxlon69 »

I think that the two biggest problems with making a LiveCD version of Wesnoth would be disk writes. I'm not entirely sure how the Linux version of the game operates, as my main system doesn't run linux, and I don't play games on my server..But, the Windows version uses cached files, and, saving your progress would be hard when the data is on CD. You would probably have to incorporate drivers into the linux distribution to mount whatever native filesystem exists on the machine you are booting the CD on (ntfs comes to mind, because a lot of linux distributions don't fully support ntfs, and some don't directly support it at all..and a lot of machines run windows NT/XP). I'm sure it's doable..but, as the game caches data to hard drive during normal play, even if you disable saving and autosave, the disk caching portion of the game would have to be modified/removed.. and I'm sure that would have a negative impact on performance/gameplay.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I believe that instead of using a cache, a liveCD treats the ram like a swap partition. Could be wrong though.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

AFAIK, live CD's create some kind of virtual partition.
But it could also be a possibility to mount an USB-stick as /home/user
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon