Changelog in the game

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

Should the changelog be visible from within the game?

No
43%
Heck no
57%

Total votes: 21

Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Many games (and other apps) have version notes which come with the update/patch (or full install if it isn't an update or patch). Wesnoth has this as well.. AND also allows the notes to be read online. The notes are hardly hidden away. It is there to see and easy to find for anyone who wishes to read it.

To add.. I'd say that adding this to the application itself is not only unnecessary, but also possibly complicating. The less options and buttons, the better (without lessening the game itself, of course). The notes are not required to play or understand Wesnoth. And should one search for it.. as I wrote: it's easy to find the log in the documents folder/directory.

-edit- One could always add a note where to find the log in the read me file.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I've done my best to argue for this and support is underwhelming. :)

I still think it should be done, but if everyone else is against the idea I'll let it rest.

Usual drill; this thread left open so people can post new (and relevant) perspectives, ideas or insights only
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

As a partial compromise, perhaps it could be added to the Windows installer. WIndows users being, of course, the primary group that's too dumb to find it on their own. (Aside from Mac users who probably wouldn't benefit from it anyway, given that they're all illiterate.) :)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

xtifr wrote:As a partial compromise, perhaps it could be added to the Windows installer. Windows users being, of course, the primary group that's too dumb to find it on their own.
Newer Linux distros are basically as easy to install and run as Windows is; Linux has it's fair share of "Joe Average" users too. Thanks for the attempt at compromise, but I don't think we should get into platform-specific help. Wesnoth runs the same on all platforms so it should have the same in-game help on all platforms.

BTW, it's not really a 'dumb' thing, it's an 'ease of access' thing. Lazy !=stupid.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

irrevenant wrote:
xtifr wrote:As a partial compromise, perhaps it could be added to the Windows installer. Windows users being, of course, the primary group that's too dumb to find it on their own.
Newer Linux distros are basically as easy to install and run as Windows is; Linux has it's fair share of "Joe Average" users too. Thanks for the attempt at compromise, but I don't think we should get into platform-specific help. Wesnoth runs the same on all platforms so it should have the same in-game help on all platforms.

BTW, it's not really a 'dumb' thing, it's an 'ease of access' thing. Lazy !=stupid.
Indeed, but it seems as if you're saying people should read it rather than make it easily available to those who wish to read it. Those who wish to read it will (in most cases) actively search for it. And those who search for it will easily be able to find it.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

For users with internet access, a hyperlink to Changelog in the Windows Start menu is IMHO easy enough. And it adds maybe 100B to distribution...
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Viliam wrote:For users with internet access, a hyperlink to Changelog in the Windows Start menu is IMHO easy enough. And it adds maybe 100B to distribution...
The point (which I forgot to actually make :oops:) is that version changes is a useful thing to check while you're in the middle of a game ("Urk, looks like the Footpad's damage has changed; I wonder what else is different?"). Ideally you don't want to flip back to the OS and surf the web while you're playing.

Which isn't to say it's a bad idea; I think it's worth doing. It just isn't a substitute for HighHole's initial idea because it doesn't address the same issue.