Sliding on ice

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Can be done in WML, too.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

My idea can't be done in WML! ;)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
kiet

Post by kiet »

Isn´t that why units move so slow on ice,since it´s so slippy?
Well,the sliding on ice function isn´t so useful,what does it do for good anyway? :?
bioman

Post by bioman »

kiet wrote:Isn´t that why units move so slow on ice,since it´s so slippy?
Well,the sliding on ice function isn´t so useful,what does it do for good anyway? :?
You could, as already mentioned, make some very varied scenarios/campaigns with it - just imagine Wesnoth Hockey or something. ;)

Anyway, I like the sound of it - and the whole scale argument sort of doesn't work when not very much is to scale in Wesnoth in the first place.

Also, not many maps use ice in great areas so its not as if a unit would slide very far.
kiet

Post by kiet »

Hmm..............Wesnoth Hockey,we have Wesbowl already but this can be fun too.
However,implenting this on a scenario may be good,but not for the whole game.
Doesn´t units move slowly to prevent themselves from sliding? :roll:
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

The scale argument is moot since as far as I know a hero is still only one unit. And cant represent, what was said - one full square equaling miles.
It would be different if you'd mean every unit would be accompanied by body guards, but before you claim that the "scale" discussion of one square is valid, then lets make it simple:

- How large is one square, and where is this defined?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

shevegen wrote:- How large is one square, and where is this defined?
There is no defined square size, it can vary from 1 meter to 1 mile, and the number of units represented can vary from 1 to 1,000 (I always assume that Heros have bodyguards), everything is up to the discresion of the scenario/campaign designer, and your imagination.
toms

Post by toms »

You basically can make maps in much different scales. I would for an example say, at dungeon/building maps, one hex is not very much.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ranger M wrote:There is no defined square size, it can vary from 1 meter to 1 mile, and the number of units represented can vary from 1 to 1,000 (I always assume that Heros have bodyguards), everything is up to the discresion of the scenario/campaign designer, and your imagination.
Exactly. In town scenarios, it is probably only 1-3 meters, although it might be more like 10 m. In river-crossing scenarios like the Ford of Abez, it is probably still only 10-20 m. But in big scenarios like Xenophobia, it could be half a mile, two miles.

This IS the official definition. If you don't like it... you'll live.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
kiet

Post by kiet »

But the best thing to do is to not think about it at all,just play and have fun. :)
Anyway,I have always wondered a thing,how can your and the enemie leader talk with each other if it´s a mile between them?
I several scenarios,if they want to speak with each other,they might send a unit that deliver a message instead.
But no.............That would make the game too boring seeing an enemie unit near your keep every scenario.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

It would also be boring to watch the enemy unit travel unharmed all the way to your keep. I think some campaign should make you have to wait for messengers so that there are periods of misunderstanding resulting in killing possible allies and assassins disguised as messengers. That was a bit OT
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

turin wrote:
Ranger M wrote:There is no defined square size, it can vary from 1 meter to 1 mile, and the number of units represented can vary from 1 to 1,000 (I always assume that Heros have bodyguards), everything is up to the discretion of the scenario/campaign designer, and your imagination.
Exactly. In town scenarios, it is probably only 1-3 meters, although it might be more like 10 m. In river-crossing scenarios like the Ford of Abez, it is probably still only 10-20 m. But in big scenarios like Xenophobia, it could be half a mile, two miles.
This IS the official definition. If you don't like it... you'll live.
Turin, I trust you're just referring to the hex-size comment being official policy, not the one about the unit icon representing multiple individuals?

It would be somewhat ludicrous to have a single icon represent up to 1,000 horsemen units all called Dacyn and all with (eg.) Strong, Resilient traits. :? The units have unique names for a reason.

WINHoMM.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

irrevenant wrote:It would be somewhat ludicrous to have a single icon represent up to 1,000 horsemen units all called Dacyn and all with (eg.) Strong, Resilient traits. :? The units have unique names for a reason.

WINHoMM.
Yeah, but I doubt that Konrad fought each battle in HttT with (figures out the average that I used) about 13 soldiers, so each unit must be more than one in that case (the traits could easily be considered a average of all the units traits, so a unit with strong has a significant amount of its unit being stronger than normal, so they as a whole do more damage)
scott

Post by scott »

irrevenant wrote: Turin, I trust you're just referring to the hex-size comment being official policy, not the one about the unit icon representing multiple individuals?

It would be somewhat ludicrous to have a single icon represent up to 1,000 horsemen units all called Dacyn and all with (eg.) Strong, Resilient traits. :? The units have unique names for a reason.

WINHoMM.
Both aspects of scale have always been intentionally ambiguous. In the case of units, your arguments are explained away when it's appropriate to think of a unit as a platoon, company, or battalion-size group of soldiers, and applicable when a soldier is a single unit.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

irrevenant wrote:Turin, I trust you're just referring to the hex-size comment being official policy, not the one about the unit icon representing multiple individuals?
Err... right. Although I don't think the Wesnoth official policy rules out multiple units in a hex either.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm