Sliding on ice

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
highhole

Sliding on ice

Post by highhole »

I hope this is the right forum for my idea:

Whats about if the units are able to move on ice but aren't able to controll where they move?

Unit want's to move on ice:
1 hex: They don't move
2 hexes: they move 1 hex
3 hexes: they move 3 hexes
4 hexes: they move 5 hexes
5 hexes: they move 6 hexes
6 hexes: they move 8 hexes

If a unit moves from a stable (grassland, castle, wood, sand, etc.) terrain on ice they slide, too.
If the next hex is a terrain where the unit isn't able to move it lost 20 hit points.

Only a unit with the abilities "icewalking" cane move usual at ice.
Error: no bug found
scott

Post by scott »

Hexes are possibly miles across. I have never seen somebody slide a mile.

Besides, what's to stop you from aiming short? If you want to move 5 hexes, try for 4. What do you do if there are units in the way? Bowl over everyone? 20 HP? No way.
Last edited by scott on June 6th, 2006, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
highhole

Post by highhole »

scott wrote:Hexes are possibly miles across. I have never seen somebody slide a mile.
:shock: Wow! A building which is bigger than a mile! The Great-Tree must be like a mountain! :P
Error: no bug found
scott

Post by scott »

highhole wrote:
scott wrote:Hexes are possibly miles across. I have never seen somebody slide a mile.
:shock: Wow! A building which is bigger than a mile! The Great-Tree must be like a mountain! :P
The house is an abstraction that represents the entire village. Ever wonder why a house was called a village? Ever see a mountain the size of a tree? Units are also abstractions that could represent a single man or a group of men. Hero units are semi-exceptions to this non-rule.

I would rather not rehash the scale discussion, so OWFRA.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

...and maybe if unit hits an enemy unit, it automatically makes a melee attack. :wink:

Something similar, just a bit different, could IMHO be relatively easy to implement in WML. When unit ends movement on ice, it is randomly moved by 1 hex.

I am not sure how exactly is WML able to support this:

- how to tell when unit has "ended" movement? zero movement points left? then not using the last movement point would prevent the random moving (but maybe it is OK; it means that unit walks slowly and carefully on ice)

- is it possible to have a WML event only at the end of movement, or can it be after each hex?

- is WML event triggered after movement but before the attack on enemy unit, if player orders movement and attack in single click? what happens with attack command if unit is moved to another hex (a) adjacent (b) not adjacent to enemy unit it originally had to attack?

This is the problem... before we accept the cool ideas, we must also think about consequences... how would they interract with existing rules.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Scenario fodder.
Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

Viliam wrote:Something similar, just a bit different, could IMHO be relatively easy to implement in WML. When unit ends movement on ice, it is randomly moved by 1 hex.
I have very little knowledge of WML, but I think that putting in the rules for adjacent enemy units, if the square it slides to is a non-ice tile, and so on seems like it would be hard. Just my 2 cents.
My name is Ozymandias, King of kings,
Look on my works, Ye Mighty, And despair!
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
romnajin wrote:She's a hippy nature girl that lives with animals, she's not supposed to be sexy, you can save that for the high elves.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Kestenvarn wrote:Scenario fodder.
agreed
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Different idea:

If, in one turn, you move into an ice hex, you cannot leave that hex except by moving the same direction.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Nobody wrote:Very silly idea.
I agree.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

If you agree with nobody, then does nobody agree with you? :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

...should I take that as meaning you think the idea is a good one?
:P
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

No no no, please no. Come on this makes no sense at all. Its not just a sillly idea, it is borderline [censored]. On top of the entirely valid scale argument this is a turn based game where a turn is aproximately 4 hours. Even if it were possible to slide on ice that long, don't you think the units would just stop and turn around automatically and adjust.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
JW

Post by JW »

I agree that this is not a good idea (for mainline), though it may be fun for a campaign (set on a small scale).
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I'm letting this go as scenario fodder, as mentioned. But it's on close watch.

Two full pages. Once I see a three, if it isn't worth pursuing, it's locked.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.