Keep focus if the unit can still move

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

"Keep focus if the unit can STILL move"

If an unit has used its moves and cannot attack, of course focus should be removed. But if it still has more moves, it would really like to have the unit still in focus, alowing me to press space and actually be done with the unit, without any need for havocing my precious time limit cycling trough units I already have moved a second time...

Please.
Artis

Post by Artis »

Silence of Echo wrote:I think it would be a hassle to have to remove the focus every time you move a unit and are done with it.
There are usualy three things you would want to do after moving a unit, if it still has usable movement points left:
  1. Select a different unit to move by clicking on it, you would still be able to do that.
  2. Go to the next unit by pressing 'N', you would still be able to do that.
  3. Go to the next unit and tell that you are done with the current one by pressing 'Space', you can't currently do that without selecting the unit you just moved again.
Artis

Post by Artis »

turin wrote:"Focus" = the unit is selected, right?
Right, the unit shouldn't lose the selection if it still can do something.
scott

Post by scott »

Artis wrote:
Silence of Echo wrote:I think it would be a hassle to have to remove the focus every time you move a unit and are done with it.
There are usualy three things you would want to do after moving a unit, if it still has usable movement points left:
  1. Select a different unit to move by clicking on it, you would still be able to do that.
  2. Go to the next unit by pressing 'N', you would still be able to do that.
  3. Go to the next unit and tell that you are done with the current one by pressing 'Space', you can't currently do that without selecting the unit you just moved again.
4. (most of the time) Look at the battlefield and mouse-over units to plan my next move. Having the focus active, with half the screen dark and footprints following the cursor, is pretty much the most annoying thing the game could do after a move.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Silence of Echo

Post by Silence of Echo »

scott wrote: 4. (most of the time) Look at the battlefield and mouse-over units to plan my next move. Having the focus active, with half the screen dark and footprints following the cursor, is pretty much the most annoying thing the game could do after a move.
Agreed.
Artis

Post by Artis »

scott wrote:4. (most of the time) Look at the battlefield and mouse-over units to plan my next move. Having the focus active, with half the screen dark and footprints following the cursor, is pretty much the most annoying thing the game could do after a move.
I guess I see a turn in a very different light then you do, but it would be good at least to have an option.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Oh, this what you meant...

Well - i dont need such feature, and if it was default, it would be annoying.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

scott wrote:4. (most of the time) Look at the battlefield and mouse-over units to plan my next move. Having the focus active, with half the screen dark and footprints following the cursor, is pretty much the most annoying thing the game could do after a move.
You can always deselect any unit with a right-click.
Most players use "N" to cycle thought their units, usually to make sure all units have moved. This idea will only affect units that might still move, units you with the current system also have to be bothered by a second time while cycling through your units. I don't see how giving you a chance to end the turn for these units at once make things more complicated.

To make even mote people happy we could add a key to "end unit turn and leave" to suplement space that "end unit turn and select next". This way you can end a units turn (eg after using parts of its movement) without jumping around on the map. This way everyone might be happy?
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

YbeRn00b wrote:You can always deselect any unit with a right-click.
You can always reselect the unit with a left click as you are very likely with your pointer over said unit.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
scott

Post by scott »

YbeRn00b wrote:To make even mote people happy we could add a key to "end unit turn and leave" to suplement space that "end unit turn and select next". This way you can end a units turn (eg after using parts of its movement) without jumping around on the map. This way everyone might be happy?
Possibly... I always double-check all of the movement-remaining units anyway. Sometimes new opportunities show up, sometimes an attack didn't go as well as I hoped so I need to expose/finish off/protect a unit, and sometimes I left a unit with moves left with the intention of using it after other moves and forgot about it. I don't see that changing with this option. Normally options are categorically bad, but I'll keep an open mind about user interaction-type options (or hotkeys).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
BigNailCow

Post by BigNailCow »

Consider if you are only moving a unit 1 or 2 hexes so you can fit another unit there. You have no other purpose for the unit (yet), so you don't need to move it again, and you'd have to manually cancel focus. This will happen more times than, say, moving a unit to a village and then off of it, and I can't think of another reason why this would need to be implemented.
pierre

My opinion

Post by pierre »

Hi,

I was following the discussion, and I think I understand the problem: one can easily get lost when he has to press 100 times 'n' to find the units that can still move.

according to the programmers: "any improvement that doesn't make the gameplay easier should not be implemented" ; so the idea to add an option is not attractive.

I think the best solution would be to improve the 'n' function:
right now, it only moves the focus to the next unit, next meaning in the down-right direction on the map.

the units should be ordered in a more clever way. for example the ones closest to the ennemy at first, and then the ones that stay in a village because they need to be healed at last... ok, this order is the most important, and I don't go into details now; it requires some thinking!

and then, while pressing 'n', a list of units that still need to move could appear somewhere, so one can easily follow what happens when pressing 'n' fast and many times. (it really disturbs me when the view is jumping from one side of the map to another...)