Shroud/Fog-piercing units (Split from Super Speedy Units)

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Besides, they wouldn't see everything. Only the terrains where there movement is set to 0. An Elvish Seer could have movement 0 on forests, Saurian Diviner could have it in Swamps, Dwarvish Mystic in mountains, Mermaid Eye in water, etc....
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Hey, that is a cool idea, Maeglin Dubh. I think I'll steal it for my campaign. *Starts making some weird mage-branch units*
hey.
Garion

Post by Garion »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Besides, they wouldn't see everything. Only the terrains where there movement is set to 0. An Elvish Seer could have movement 0 on forests, Saurian Diviner could have it in Swamps, Dwarvish Mystic in mountains, Mermaid Eye in water, etc....
To return momentarily to this, that plan creates a very weird situation in which an Elvish Seer can see through an infinite number of forest hexes without being able to enter the forest.

If he starts on a castle hex, he can move freely around the castle and even into adjacent grassland, or hills, or whatever else. And if he's adjacent to a forest, he can see everything in it.

But he can't enter a forest hex. That's insanely counterintuitive.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

These units seem useful, but why should elves be the only ones with seers? Someone before mentioned seers for each faction, which means we would have to define what faction gets what terrain. as far as I see it

Drakes--->lava?
Orcs------>mountains
Undead--->Swamp
Rebels---->Forest
Knaglan alliance->Cave
Federation->plains?roads?
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I thought the idea here was spotters, not insane assassination units. Perhaps the thread should be split? The idea behind the spotters was that we couldn't care less if they can move. The advantage gained by seeing -everything- in a foggy or clouded scenario makes up for the lack of movement.... Besides, you won't be buying many of these.
Naeddyr

Re: Super Speedy units

Post by Naeddyr »

Dragon Master wrote:Has anyone ever thought of making a unit requiring zero movement on a certain terrain?
The original post was just about semi-teleporting units. It's only incidental that Wesnoth works so strange with movement zero.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

For some reason they didn't move this post when they split the thread, so I did it myself.
Last edited by Kestenvarn on April 8th, 2006, 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:I thought the idea here was spotters, not insane assassination units.
The original idea was units that were ultra-speedy on a particular terrain (hence the thread title). When Dragon Master tried to simulate this by using a 0MP terrain cost it caused the 'seer' side-effect which is now under discussion.
Maeglin Dubh wrote:Perhaps the thread should be split?
Good idea, that...