My try for a troll magic unit: the troll shaman

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Wush

My try for a troll magic unit: the troll shaman

Post by Wush »

Well on severeal ocassions, while looking trough topics, it seemed to me that people try to think of a magic unit fitting for the troll race.
So I took some effort thinking about it and it seemed to me that a form of shamanic magic would fit trolls best, so i asked myself what does shamanic do and how could it be used in a battle? The answer seems to me that the most original and fitting form of a shaman would be someone who summons the spirits of animals and totems and helps them manifest in our world.
So I had the following picture in my mind:
Wearing a necklace of animal tooths and small bones as well as a fur cape around his neck, a large troll stands upright several strange tattoes covering his body, his arms stick in the skulls of dire wolves, which eyes are glowing red and are engulfed in they transparent manifestation of their spirits.

They troll shaman atatcks by using these Wolf ghost against his enemy, as a fitting effect for this attack I though of an ability called "rabies" (or ghost rabies like someone in irc named it).
A unit inflicted with rabies will do 20% more damage however also suffer 20% of the maximal damage he could inflict whenever attacking or retaliating.(So this situation would always be to his disadvantage as he always suffer the damage but does not always hit)

I think such magic would be quite fitting for a troll, as he can regenerate he does not care much for the additional damage he will suffer.
Rabies could of course behealed the same way as poison is healed.

Down below I add my first experiments with attaching the skull to the trolls arm, not really god but its a start.
Attachments
Trollschamane3.png
Trollschamane3.png (5.2 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Hmm....I don't really like the idea of skulls on his arm. Maybe the skulls can be used as shoulderguards?. When they're on his arm it looks kinda stupid. I also think your attack "rabies" needs to have a better name
Other than that sounds good. :)
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Already exists in campaigns such as UtBS.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Wush

Post by Wush »

What already exists? A troll magic user? Well but its not official yet so i can give it a try right?

Oh and dragonmaster the skulls are on his hand so he cann attack with them, as I originally planned that as a melee attack, but well this could also be transformed in a range attack, then the skulls could just float around, but I think skulls as gloves would be more stylish (maybe smaller skulls would be better for that?)
Last edited by Wush on April 8th, 2006, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JW

Post by JW »

It looks like that troll needs to eat a sandwhich. He's all skin and bones!
Wush

Post by Wush »

^^ well I somehow tried to mix him together from other troll pics and he really became a little small.(well a trollshaman would not be to muscular right?) Maybe someone other then me will give it a try, it might neeed some time until my pics become good enough.

Well i made one more hunky and tried to resize the skull, I think if i make a smaller better oriented skull it should look goodon the hand, as if he has wolf heads instead of fists :)
Attachments
trollschmane4.png
trollschmane4.png (5.18 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

If I were you I'd use neorice's new sprites that will be included soon. These troll graphics are a little outdated.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

AArgh! When I see those skulls on his hands it looks like he's gonna do a puppet show. I really think he looks stupid. If you really like your idea, don't listen to me but I would rather give him a staff with animal spirits around it
cataphractos

Post by cataphractos »

Dragon Master wrote:AArgh! When I see those skulls on his hands it looks like he's gonna do a puppet show.
Me too, but I like the idea of a Troll shaman.
Dragon Master wrote:I would rather give him a staff with animal spirits around it
Sounds nice :roll: But what about this: a troll shaman wearing wolf bones? I mean wolf skull as helmet, ribs and bones bound to his rib cage and to his arms.
Slow and steady wins the race.
...but he could regret it...
Wush

Post by Wush »

how about i let them hover over his hands with some kind of chain connected to his arms, oh and i willsearch for the new sprites immediately

oh or if he equips the bone , the spirit couls just fly around him?

... [censored] they are really good but there are not enough positions yet ,so its hard to keep the same standard as neorice

:/ pretty hard to make it look good as you can see -->
Attachments
trollschmane4.png
trollschmane4.png (5.28 KiB) Viewed 3316 times