Setting defend attacks

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Kamahawk

Setting defend attacks

Post by Kamahawk »

Allow the player to set wich attack a unit defends with if it has multiple attacks of the same range. Its stupid that the Shyde defends with her ensnare attack when she has a more powerfull thorn attack. The same with Konrad defending with his bow when he has the scepter (or Sword of Fire).
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I think it should just be set up such as the unit use her/his best attack. Right now the AI seems to use the first one on the list of the unit description. Maybe the best attack should be place first in the list in all the cases. In the case of the Shyde the snare can be better in some situation since it slows the enemy and reduce the number of attack by 1.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yes, I think a better solution would be to just try to get the best weapon to be chosen automatically. Perhaps using the same algorithm as the default weapon selection in the attack dialog.

For things like the Shyde though, it is difficult to choose - especially since the slow attack can actually stop the attacker from hitting so many times on that very attack, making the Shyde take less damage.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Yeah both of the shydes attacks are equal...

It still sucks that konrad deffends with his bow.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I have implemented a simple algorithm which should make the AI a little more intelligent about choosing which weapon to defend with.

i.e. Konrad will not defend with his bow when he has the Scepter ;)

Although, it would be good to make it so that Konrad stops having a bow attack at all once he gets the Scepter.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

What about Knights, for example?

My assumption is that their Lance would be auto-chosen... but what if I don't want charge? What if my Knight is low on hp?
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Gafgarion wrote: My assumption is that their Lance would be auto-chosen... but what if I don't want charge? What if my Knight is low on hp?
You can never charge on defense -- it's an offensive only move. If you look at your horsemen, you will see that they do half as much damage when defending as they do when attacking.

Using a lance defensively would likely not be as good as using one's sword (unless perhaps you were fighting someone particularly susceptible to piercing attacks, like another horseman).

David
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Dave wrote:
Gafgarion wrote: My assumption is that their Lance would be auto-chosen... but what if I don't want charge? What if my Knight is low on hp?
You can never charge on defense -- it's an offensive only move. If you look at your horsemen, you will see that they do half as much damage when defending as they do when attacking.

Using a lance defensively would likely not be as good as using one's sword (unless perhaps you were fighting someone particularly susceptible to piercing attacks, like another horseman).

David
Hmm really? hasn't seemed like that... Oh well, probably just my imagination.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry