Many games update endlessly, finally I lost my interest.

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gaojicainiao

Many games update endlessly, finally I lost my interest.

Post by gaojicainiao »

There are too many good computer games, I liked them before.

But many games update endlessly, which make them have more content, and of course more complex.

I used to love Minecraft, but it had more and more kinds of monsters and blocks, made me confused. 3 more kinds of stones are enough annoying.
Finally, I lost the interest.

I used to love Stardew Valley. Yes, more and more items, monsters...
Finally, I lost the interest.

I have never liked League of Legends and other games like this. If I know a game have too many heros, I will have zero interest to it.
Though the rule is easy, the content is still complex.

I love Dead by Daylight for now, but I can see the future. When someone day, it has too many killer, items and abilities, I will lose interest.

As of Wesnoth, I want to say: I don't like dunefolk, if it will become the seventh faction, I will lose interest to wesnoth. :annoyed: I think seven factions are too many. And obviously, it is too difficult to adjust the balance between the seventh faction and other six factions. Isn't it?

What about you? May you talk about wesnoth, may you talk about other games.
MathBrush

Re: Many games update endlessly, finally I lost my interest.

Post by MathBrush »

What do you think about Terraria? They added another difficulty setting and two more bosses, but then they said 'no updates ever again.' Have you played it?
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

As of Wesnoth, I want to say: I don't like dunefolk, if it will become the seventh faction, I will lose interest to wesnoth. :annoyed: I think seven factions are too many. And obviously, it is too difficult to adjust the balance between the seventh faction and other six factions. Isn't it?
Then I guess you have lost interest. Dunefolk are part of the core MP now. Also, they are not part of Default Era, but exist as their own "Default + Dunefolk" era.

Since we're discussing games, let me say something about my once favorite game, Guild Wars 2. I liked it a lot and played it religiously from 2015 to 2018. However, my interest declined since I disliked the playerbase's discriminations towards my favourite class, Necromancer/Reaper/Scourge, and their obsession with being slaves to the "meta". I play for fun, not for being forced to be some banner slave or harrier guardian. So, I eventually uninstalled. Never went back.

I used to have World of Warcraft addiction. My friends and I played on the Firestorm private server. It was buggy but we still liked it. However, there was too much lore to do and the later things became rather gear-dependent. The BGs were rather one-sided so gave up on that. I still cannot understand why all the alliance players were absolute pros while the horde players seemed clueless at common teamwork practices and game mechanics.

I am waiting for the release of Blue Protocol, expected Summer 2022.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

I don't like dunefolk, but not for the reasons you mentioned, 6 factions was better cause they are even, you can like play 3 vs 3, then they were like 3 "good ones" and 3 "evil ones", in fact in older versions of Wesnoth you could play a game mode called forces of darkness Vs forces of light or something like that (Lyalists,Elves and Dwarves against Orcs,Drakes and Undeads), I think it was removed cause balancing reasons.
Where is DuneFolk in this scenario, for the other fantasy facyioms, you can figure out looking at the various canonical fantasy tales, storiea, lore ecc.
Plus, for me they are too similar to dwarves (high def on hills, they dont use magic, a bit more expensive than other factions but with more resistances (and, like Dwarves, they had also a flying bird bud worser and less cool than Griffins) so just a bad copy of an already existing one.
If they keep Dunefolk (that's just an "unfantasy" another himan faction, with Dwarven characteristics), then they should ad an another faction, so at least they will be again even and you can play 4 vs 4 without having mirror factipns.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I don't like dunefolk, but not for the reasons you mentioned, 6 factions was better cause they are even, you can like play 3 vs 3, then they were like 3 "good ones" and 3 "evil ones", in fact in older versions of Wesnoth you could play a game mode called forces of darkness Vs forces of light or something like that (Lyalists,Elves and Dwarves against Orcs,Drakes and Undeads), I think it was removed cause balancing reasons.
Not sure what you imply with this. Default Era in 1.15.x is still the same 6 factions. The Dunefolk got added in a separate era "Default + Dunefolk" era. If you don't like the faction, don't play that era. Simple.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
gaojicainiao

Post by gaojicainiao »

MathBrush wrote: July 27th, 2021, 4:33 pm What do you think about Terraria? They added another difficulty setting and two more bosses, but then they said 'no updates ever again.' Have you played it?
I have played it. Years ago and just now.

It does updates, but less stable version.

I have never liked it. It does need strong hardware. You know, programs written by java is strong but slow. Both my computer and I am dizzy to it.
I would be dizzy even I can play it with 144Hz FPS. :(

I like minetest, it runs fast, low CPU and memory usage, just a little bit hard to find lava.

PS: Oops! Sorry, I thought you were talking about Terasology.

As for Terraria, I know about it and have watched videos about it. I don't like it. Seems complex for me. And I don't like ugly monsters.
Last edited by gaojicainiao on July 28th, 2021, 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
gaojicainiao

Post by gaojicainiao »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: July 27th, 2021, 4:52 pm
Then I guess you have lost interest. Dunefolk are part of the core MP now. Also, they are not part of Default Era, but exist as their own "Default + Dunefolk" era.
I have not lost interest yet. Because they are still not part of Default Era. :) It seems my expression is wrong. :doh: I should say “if it belong to Default Era someone day, I will lose interest to wesnoth.”

To tell the truth, other Chinese players are same to me, they haven't show much interest to Dunefolk, and hardly play it.
gaojicainiao

Post by gaojicainiao »

gaojicainiao wrote: July 27th, 2021, 4:21 pm I love Dead by Daylight for now, but I can see the future. When someone day, it has too many killer, items and abilities, I will lose interest.
Ouch! I never thought that would came so soon!

An update recently make survivors invincible under planks, they can cure themselves under planks without getting hurt by normal attack. :augh:

I lost the interest.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

I like the Khalifate (errr...) but then again I love add-on eras and factions. I also love maps. On the other hand I don't really care for campaigns, survivals or playing vs humans.

Good thing Wes has a lot of diversity. Something for everyone.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

By Lord-Knightmare:
Not sure what you imply with this. Default Era in 1.15.x is still the same 6 factions. The Dunefolk got added in a separate era "Default + Dunefolk" era. If you don't like the faction, don't play that era. Simple
I was only giving my opinion on them, and I was actually refering to the Default+Dunefolk era and to a possible future in wich the faction could be added to the plain default era.
And as you stated (Don't play that era), this is in fact what I did, I dont play Default+Dunefolk.
Beside, its not me that started this discussion, I just gave my point of view, to who started this thread, its not that the point ?

I surely don't need stupid and bvious suggestions, like, simply don't play it, I mean after over a decade that I'm involved in this game, I can figure out these, things alone, so your comnet was redundant.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Two options: either games update, or they don't.
Some updates are necessary for balance and bug fixes.
Some players like new content, and get bored if they don't get it.
Most developers like generating new content, and will leave a volunteer project if they can't add new twiddles.

Conversely some players like a long-term stable gaming environment.

Both of these viewpoints are legitimate, but it's activity that keeps a game ticking over.
Maintaining a project is valuable, but it just isn't as glamorous. Once there's no new activity,
a game falls into maintenance mode. When the maintainers go on to other things, the game
starts to decay.

With rare exceptions like chess, games that don't grow and change over time eventually die.
Even games that do grow and change, the changes slow down and eventually stop, and then
they die too.

Depending on how good and stable and fun they are in their final form, they last a greater or
lesser amount of time after reaching stability.

We might get dunefolk as a seventh core faction, but there is no discernable chance of an
eighth faction ever showing up. Wesnoth is basically complete. I think losing interest /now/
just because the dunefolk might be fully integrated shows poor timing. That's one last little
thing, and it's almost certainly the last big thing the game will see. And IMO as a story-maker
it's a legitimate and useful addition.

But if you can forgive that last hurrah, Wesnoth will then stay stable and playable for as long
as there's computers able to run it. It's 18 years old already - that's already exceptionally
long-lived. The idea that updates are 'endless' is a fallacy. Wesnoth for one has pretty much
reached the end of its major updates. It's given millions of hours' enjoyment to tens of
thousands of people. Wesnoth is what a successful, mature project looks like.

DDR

Post by DDR »

It's nice to see the endless updates really flesh out a game sometimes, but yeah, you do loose interest after a while. I'll replay something occasionally for a major content drop, such as Satisfactory, but really I figure it's just a take what you want when you want situation. It's weird. 🤔

For something like Wesnoth I'm glad you don't have to update, you can play the old versions if you want.