Merry Christmas!

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PeterPorty
Translator

Merry Christmas!

Post by PeterPorty »

Well, hello everyone! I just came around to wish you all a happy christmas or whatever you're celebrating these dates; and in case you're not celebrating anything, I simply wish you a happy day. Hope all of you have lovely dinners with your families, go to the greatest party ever, enjoy that new anime you've been wanting to watch or finally buy that coat you've been eyeing all year; wish all your wishes come true and of course, may the RNG God be good to you this week.

Also, this thread is for discussing the best gifts you can possibly give to people, what you're giving your loved ones/what you've given or received in the past; what fun ways to celebrate, etc. General pro-tips to enjoying an awesome holiday!

Personally, being the poet that I am; I've been writing poetry for my friends in the ast couple of months to be able to give them some nice words with their gifts. The personal touch that 20 lines can give to an XBox game is priceless, IMHO, and will stay with them for ages after they've finished the storyline and got bored of multiplayer.

In any case, let me hear your ideas!

Love, Pete.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: Merry Christmas!

Post by Blarumyrran »

PeterPorty wrote:Personally, being the poet that I am; I've been writing poetry for my friends in the ast couple of months to be able to give them some nice words with their gifts. The personal touch that 20 lines can give to an XBox game is priceless, IMHO, and will stay with them for ages after they've finished the storyline and got bored of multiplayer.
At least I really hate such gifts; the receiver has something of a moral obligation to the giver to keep such memorabilia, and I hate keeping things that I don't use, especially memorabilia like old toys, notebooks and christmas cards (preferably burning them rather than just dumping). So I hate people who give me things that look like they come with a moral obligation to keep it, and I'm not at all alone in this. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you and all, so I only give consumables and very practical & unpersonal items as gifts & I'd advise everyone to do the same unless they know the receiver's attitude towards such really well.
Last edited by Blarumyrran on December 24th, 2012, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

The best gift is almost anything but underwear :lol2:
Jokes aside, no gift can match family love and kindness, obviously. And a friend's warm smile, it's worth over 1000 pairs of socks.
Merry Christmas!

ninja'd: Blarumyrran has a very good point, I never know what to do with stuff like this. It just lies on my desktop or in my drawer and I always eventually dump it. What's the point, it's better to just say friendly words instead of spamming one's drawer :P
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Marche

Post by Marche »

I for one would love some poetry as a gift (either with a new notebook or without, both have merit I think). That's an idea I might rob for my own gift-giving, if I knew the sort of person I'd have to get a good gift for. I also emphatically feel that cards most toys etc. are not worth the space they take up; over half my shelving space ends up being gifts I don't use or need, before I force myself to clean it out every year.

My family and I are having only a small celebration. Not bringing relatives or friends over or anything, mostly just life as usual - plus some happy decorations and such.

I just wish there was more snow here. I haven't seen a good dumping of it in years, despite living in a cold, cold place by the ocean. I'll just have to survive by watching some more seasonal movies. "Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings!"
Shut up! I'm not tough; I'm not strong!

You shouldn't hold back so much. Always thinking with your head--denying what you want!
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

"For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
-- Isaiah 9:6

Merry Christmas!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

It's now officially been Christmas for 5 minutes here in Florida :D

MERRY HAPPY
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
junoslord

Post by junoslord »

America-- Land of the Free, home of the Brave! "And now that we've taken care of the Braves we're coming after the Free."

"BANNED!!! What the hell do you mean BANNED? All I did was call one narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi moderator a narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi!"
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Blarumyrran wrote:
PeterPorty wrote:Personally, being the poet that I am; I've been writing poetry for my friends in the ast couple of months to be able to give them some nice words with their gifts. The personal touch that 20 lines can give to an XBox game is priceless, IMHO, and will stay with them for ages after they've finished the storyline and got bored of multiplayer.
At least I really hate such gifts; the receiver has something of a moral obligation to the giver to keep such memorabilia, and I hate keeping things that I don't use, especially memorabilia like old toys, notebooks and christmas cards (preferably burning them rather than just dumping). So I hate people who give me things that look like they come with a moral obligation to keep it, and I'm not at all alone in this. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you and all, so I only give consumables and very practical & unpersonal items as gifts & I'd advise everyone to do the same unless they know the receiver's attitude towards such really well.
I’m with you on the practical gifts. I’ve gotten plenty of junk, or gifts just to be gifts if you will, and I’d rather get something useful over something that I only might like. But if I get a gift and I have no intention to use it, it doesn’t bother me, and I like to think the giver of the gift shouldn’t care what I choose to do or not do with the gift, because it is, after all, my gift.

Things on my wish list, most food and drink, and money all work well for me.

Anyway, happy holidays to everyone here, whichever holidays you choose to celebrate this December and January.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Matthew 1:21
New King James Version (NKJV)
21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

Merry Christmas to all. :)
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Didn't expect Peter to make this thread. :p

Merry Christmas everyone!
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.