What Does Randomness Look Like?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

An insightful look into defining randomness, providing both anecdotal and historical references, like whether bombings in England during WWII were random or not. He also identifies models created by mathematicians which prove to be surprisingly accurate.

http://www.empiricalzeal.com/2012/12/21 ... look-like/
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
alluton

Re: What Does Randomness Look Like?

Post by alluton »

Intresting
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

so-called randomness always seemed a bit fishy to me
NoQ

Post by NoQ »

Excellent article!. Not sure about everywhere, but in our country students don't love statistics lessons very much ... anyway, that's one of the best popularization attempt i've ever seen.
The Flight of Drakes, Only Death Behind, ??? (not yet sure how the third part will be called).
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

dunno
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 2nd, 2017, 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

it might be interesting to have a sprite (and a unit) of that used in a campaign, such that slaying it results in turning off the RNG :P
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Blarumyrran wrote:
This is what randomness looks like. She hates you like she hates every player of Wesnoth.
I fear I have to disagree. The Random Number Goblin looks different.

PS: Now in an updated version, though it does not change the RNG.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

"I've seen randomness... randomness that you've seen. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what randomness means. Randomness. Randomness has a face... and you must make a friend of randomness. Randomness and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies."

"I remember when I was with the rebels. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying, he couldn't see. We went back there and the loyalists had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond arrow right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized - they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that."
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

You can always count on Blarumyrran for a WTF moment. :shock:
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Blarumyrran wrote:Image

"I've seen randomness... randomness that you've seen. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what randomness means. Randomness. Randomness has a face... and you must make a friend of randomness. Randomness and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies."

"I remember when I was with the rebels. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying, he couldn't see. We went back there and the loyalists had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond arrow right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized - they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that."
10/10.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Marche

Post by Marche »

Next thing you'll show me randomness in a handful of dust.
Shut up! I'm not tough; I'm not strong!

You shouldn't hold back so much. Always thinking with your head--denying what you want!
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Blarumyrran wrote:Image

"Did they say why, Kalenz, why they want to end my command?"

"I was sent on a secret quest, sire."

"It's no longer secret, is it? Did they tell you?"

"They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were random."

"Are my methods random?"

"I don't see any method at all, sire."
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

these are amazing! are they story screens from some campaigns?
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

That would be an... interesting, campaign.

No, Blarrumyrran cracked me up and I was just elaborating on the joke.

Hint:
Spoiler:
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon