Pokémon

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Astoria
Inactive Developer

Pokémon

Post by Astoria »

The official Pokémon discussion thread™.

So, i herd you liek mudkipz.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Dugi

Re: Pokémon

Post by Dugi »

I kinda stayed off the main boom when Pokémon came, I was a primary school kid, and seeing people buying Pokémon stickers just to collect them all (that was quite impossible as the 151-158 ones were almost impossible to find), and all this madness of wasting money kinda made me boycott this.

But all changed when my family moved into another town and I had to travel to school by bus. I needed some games for mobile to spend the time of boredom of sitting in bus and waiting for it. Usually, the games for mobile were games that you completed in several hours and was done replaying in a few more hours. But once I found an emulator for GameBoy Color with Pokémon Crystal. And this was really a game for long hours.

I played it a lot, collected like 180 Pokémons (it didn't support trading with other mobiles via bluetooth, so I could not get many types, that sucked), had about 4 Pokémons on level 100, but then I noticed that I wasted many unique pokémon without giving them the right vitamins to reach their full potential, I wasted TMs on Pokémon with low stats, I decided to restart, but never reach what I reached before.

Then I started playing Diablo II online, and had another game for long times :lol2:

Good old times, hahaha.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I played the original games a lot, but I dislike the newer ones. Not because they're bad in and of themselves, but because they all follow the exact. same. plot. with some slight additions/tweaks.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I feel sort of the same as Pentarctagon. The cartridge games do get sort of repetitive. I got White 2 and mainly just rushed through the main part of the game so that I could play the Battle Subway and the World Tournament.

It was my first Generation V game so I was looking forward to the new full-body back sprites and idle animations, and they didn't disappoint. (Except for Tyranitar's. :cry: They changed the back sprite of Tyranitar from BW1 to BW2, and the BW2 version looks so [censored] and herp derpy)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

I have admittedly only ever played Diamond and White, because I got into the franchise pretty late (and I only did because everybody in school talked about it). However, I got hooked quickly, at first because "awesome I can catch cool things", then "cool it's also a strategy game in a way", and somewhen I started battling/teambuilding competitively, which has provided me hundreds hours of gameplay since then. Lately, I have mostly been using simulators though.

I wonder how long the franchise will be continued? There may still be lots of ideas left, but seeing how many people are already complaining about how ridiculous the newer games are...
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I played the original games a lot, but I dislike the newer ones. Not because they're bad in and of themselves, but because they all follow the exact. same. plot. with some slight additions/tweaks.
I found the latest games to be the best games yet. The graphics were very good, the music was the best out of all the games IMO (also applies to BW), the region was quite large, plus the large regional pokédex and the addition of the PWT made it fun for long-time pokéfans. Also the plot was arguably better than the last few games. Also, they did many things to make the game more fun for competitive players as well, and, being one of them, I really enjoy that.

On another subject, what are your favorite pokémon?
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Hard to say, I liked more kinds... Alakazam (psychic, recover, barrier), Mewtwo (power!), Jynx (kiss, dream eater, ice beam, psychic), Misdreavus (shadow ball, hypnosis, pure ghost has almost no weaknesses),... mostly the both devastative and tricky psychic ones.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Dugi wrote:
Hard to say, I liked more kinds... Alakazam (psychic, recover, barrier), Mewtwo (power!), Jynx (kiss, dream eater, ice beam, psychic), Misdreavus (shadow ball, hypnosis, pure ghost has almost no weaknesses),... mostly the both devastative and tricky psychic ones.
Jynx... :augh:

OT: Blastoise, Ninetales, Arcanine, Politoed, Kingdra, Tyranitar, Grovyle, Masquerain, Salamence, Kyogre, Empoleon, Staraptor, Honchkrow, Glaceon, Servine, Dewott, Samurott,Tranquill, Excadrill, Reuniclus, Jellicent, Reshiram.
Last edited by Astoria on December 13th, 2012, 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I used to like stuff like Scizor and Tyranitar until I started playing competitively and saw how they were used by just about everybody... :augh: Mewtwo is also in my top 3 and fortunately, seeing as he is in ubers, you don't hear about him nearly as often as Ttar and Scizor.

If I had to list my favorite Pokemon of each type:

Normal: Porygon-Z
Fighting: Machamp
Flying: Honchkrow (maybe Charizard)
Poison: Venusaur
Ground: Rhyperior
Rock: Rampardos
Bug: Scizor
Ghost: Dusknoir (maybe Giratina?)
Steel: Skarmory
Fire: Ninetales (Maybe Houndoom)
Water: Blastoise
Grass: Torterra (Maybe Abomasnow)
Electric: Pikachu of course!
Psychic: Mewtwo (Maybe Reuniclus)
Ice: Glaceon
Dragon: Kingdra
Dark: Tyranitar
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Jynx...
What's your problem with this one? 60% chance to make the victim fall asleep, then dream eater with drain and attack 100 and for other cases ice beam or psychic, both with high attack and accord with the type. And if you play with one, it does not look so bad when looking from backwards (on Pokémon Crystal).

And hulavuta reminded me that I also liked Scizor and Tyranitar for their sheer strength.
Ivir_Baggins

Post by Ivir_Baggins »

The only Pokemon game I completed (beating the Champ) was Sapphire. I do still have Yellow though, as well as a genuine GBC.