Wesnoth movie plan

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AxalaraFlame

Wesnoth movie plan

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Just a quick and free-style questionaire: If you were to make a wesnoth movie, what would it be like?
1. Choronological or a series of episodes made according to descending order of popularity?
2. Focus on human history development, in which situation we use YW and BW all across all episodes, or focus on varies of races in different movies?
3. One really damned epic movie, or a series of movies?
4. Focus on wars and big scenes, or personal stories like Malin or Delfador?
5. How much would you invest? Don't worry just say it because it is off topic stuff.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: Wesnoth movie plan

Post by Blarumyrran »

The only type of Wesnoth movie I'd like would be a comedy, or a movie that could fit into wesnoth but invokes the setting only very slightly. Much of wesnoth wouldn't fit at all into a movie, eg a well-placed Sea Serpent with a "Rarrg!" dialogue may be funny in Wesnoth but would come off as stupid in film.
Last edited by Blarumyrran on November 4th, 2012, 1:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Blarumyrran wrote:The only type of Wesnoth movie I'd like would be a comedy, or a movie that could fit into wesnoth but invokes the setting only very slightly.
Oh... :o
I was thinking to make it an epic like LoTR. Given the campaigns and histroy we have, I suppose we could have 4 episodes, started from Haldric lands on Great Continuent, the war with Mal-Ravanal, the creation of the second sun, the fall of the third sun.
Just imagine how glorious it would be :mrgreen:

But end up with a comedy? Well...then that comedy must be served for wesnoth communities only, and made simply for fun.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I'd make it LotR-looking and Bond-paced.

Of course I'd take the HttT plot, as it is
- best known
- classic
- lots of plot for scarcely-clad eye-candy actress
- lots of opportunities for sequels, prequels, spin-offs

It would contain:
- personal stories
- romance
- action (duels, small skirmishes, few climatic big battles)
- humor

Budget: around 100M US$
I have a cunning plan.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I think the issue with Heir to the Throne is that every scenario is just fighting, and not much happens except for the fighting. If you skip over the fighting, then they're just moving quickly from place to place without much plot happening (at least until the latter scenarios of the campaign) What I mean is that there would need to be a lot of fighting taken out, and a lot of new dialogue put in, or else an adaptation of HttT would be incredibly repetitive. Which isn't to say it can't be done, but it would require a lot of fixing up.

I think Descent into Darkness would actually work well in that case, as most of the battles tend to be pretty important to the plot. In almost every battle, something important happens, whether it is the death of a main character, or an important phase in Malin's training, or the stealing of the book, etc.

In any case, I think it would be cool to have an epic montage of Malin's development into a fully realized Necromancer. I'm thinking Batman Begins style.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

@Hulavuta, movies with low plot content full of fighting are actually surprisingly popular. (though I agree with you)

1. Chronological, with a possible few glimpses into the future, or into the past.

2. Well, it'd follow NR's storyline, so that kinda answers itself.

3. A saga, definitely.

4. A good mix of both. (LotR is a good example of the kind of balance I'd want)

And a great musical score too. Good enough that it'd be worth listening to even without the movie. (most of the Wesnoth music would work)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I wouldn't, to be honest. Video game movies are, as a rule, terrible.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

thespaceinvader wrote:I wouldn't, to be honest. Video game movies are, as a rule, terrible.
And that’s why it should be a parody of Wesnoth campaigns and videogame movie adaptations in general!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

What if I simply wanna make a movie of wesnoth, due to have the passion and love and resources? That is why I start this topic, no matter how terrible it might be
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

thespaceinvader wrote:I wouldn't, to be honest. Video game movies are, as a rule, terrible.
I will agree with yuo there. (I personally think that the NR plot might make a good movie though)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Make it follow the story of a campaign that contains too much chatting and a lot of unimportant fights that can be omitted. You won't need more than 3-4 battles, that isn't more than in LotR.

If I was to make a film from HttT, it would be something like this:
1. Orcs drive Konrad (a boy with a little skill about swordfighting) and Dumbledore away from the forest, with a small warband of elves.
2. Dumbledore teaches Konrad to cast a few spells, explains a lot of things to him (with a bunch of his lies), some elves teach him to fight better.
3. When fording the river, they meet Li'Sar. The combat is focused on a duel between Konrad and Li'Sar, where Li'Sar badly wounds Konrad, but Dumbledore saves him from the finishing blow. Later, Li'Sar's forces are driven away.
4. Seeking for the Sceptre of Fire, they enter the caves, chat with the dwarves, get encircled by trolls and other creep, and have to unite with Li'Sar. Pursued by flaming spirits, they get the Sceptre of Fire, elude the enemies and flee into the caves.
5. Li'Sar, Konrad and Dumbledore would visit an elvish town, chat a there a lot, explaining a lot of things.
6. Finally, there would be an epic battle for Weldyn, where they lay siege to the town, attack the castle, Li'Sar disarms the queen, but she starts crying that she cannot kill her mother, so Dumbledore does it instead.
7. Konrad marries Li'Sar.

Music: I would throw there some Amon Amarth, AxalaraFlame mentioned high budget.
Actors: Seeking for audience, there should be actually people that would attract people. Konrad would be somebody to attract young girls and gays (a.k.a. Pattinson), Li'Sar somebody to attract guys (a.k.a. Emma Watson), Dumbledore would be an old funny man (a.k.a. Lesley Nielsen (if he was alive, R.I.P.)), Asheviere would be an older, but still relatively attractive person (to fit the fantasy stereotype of evil queens).

Or a film made from IftU:
1. Elves get attacked and flee from their valley.
2. Still fleeing, they enter a dark cave, and while proceeding through its dark corners with fear, they find Malin. Malin tries to fight, but cannot handle Alindé and a load of fighters, and joins them.
3. They walk deeper into the caves, meet some demons, flee them, find Elynia, but because the demons are still on their tail, they flee into the dwarvish town, where many things get explained. They fend off one attack, but realise the second cannot be handled, so Alindé after shedding some tears decides to redeem her sins and collapse the caves on the enemies.
4. With the dwarves, they travel the land and enter the Dark Hive, run from enemies coming from all sides, until they find Shadow Master and defeat him.
5. They flee the collapsing mountain, and say some final words.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

TheScribe wrote:
I will agree with yuo there. (I personally think that the NR plot might make a good movie though)
If you mean the kind of movie that Blarumyrran proposed, then I agree.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I didn't understand from your op that you actually want to make a movie.

Probably you should decide on a story-line and a genre first. I think a comedy about BfW might work, making fun of fantasy cliches, bad campaign writing, bad playing/players habits...

Maybe you could start with clips to see if there's an audience/how it responds.
Dugi wrote:Dumbledor
I strongly advise against using this name! :lol2:
I have a cunning plan.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

nuorc wrote:I strongly advise against using this name! :lol2:
Wait... his name was Delfador, right?
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

@dugi
If I were to make of movie of HttT, I am gonna to name him DumDum. :lol2: Who the heck would be named so foolishly as "Delfador"? Delta-father?!

Anyway, back to the topic. I would want to make it chornologically if I could, and it shall start from the begining.
The first movie would be named as "Wesnoth Dawn", like Tiberian Dawn. FYI, the following episodes would be Wesnoth War, Wesnoth Sun, Wesnoth Twilight, et cetera. This story would start from TRoW, where the founding fathers fought lich lords and won the vast lands south of Wesmere to build their countries.

As dugi mentioned, we don't need many fights, but we need epic fights, and lots of cliches of these bothersome characters. Few skirmishes, and one really huge finale would suffice.
Backaround:
Start from the homecountry of Green Isle. Everything was so peaceful for centries on the island, until one day, some really intelligent and curious humans discovered something forbidden by the law of nature--the necromance. The citystates on the Isle split in two factions. One is wesfolk, their people are led by immortal lords of undead, enjoying the technology of undead doing all the jobs for them and serve them as slaves (skeletons cleaning your room, heyheyhey). Other countries hate necromance, and they form up and alliance as well. The war of two factions lasts a long time just like Spartans vs Athens, but none could prevail...until one prince of a citystate rises. To prove his worth and power, he start a war against all lich lords on the island, and he had nearly cleared out all of their menace. Lich lords saw their defeat is inevitable, so their leader, Jevyan, opened a portal to the FarNorth, inducing orcs to come en masse. But orcs are free willed. They are harming not only the lawful humans but the wesfolks as well. Some wesfolks realize that their own living is threathened, so they choose to betray their lich lords and escape.