What do you do in the real world?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Daravel

What do you do in the real world?

Post by Daravel »

I couldn't find a topic similar to this and my interest has been piqued.
I have been wondering what everyone does in the real world, what exciting lives does everyone lead?

I shall start (and I'm boring, so we can build from this!).
I am just finishing my masters in Forensic Psychology and hope to begin working for the Ministry of Defence or as an assistant psychologist in a prison/hospital (interview on wednesday!).
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: What do you do in the real world?

Post by Sapient »

As for me, in the "real world" I am also a programmer. With my last job I supported business software for field technicians who use handheld computers, but this year I started work for a medical software company and I'm finally in an official developer role! Also I am a Christian, not the fake kind, but I really follow and spread Jesus's teachings. I mention that because it is a full time job and far more important than anything else I do.

Good luck on the interview. I read that a lot more people are interested in forensic work nowadays due to the popularity of TV shows such as CSI. What made you want to work in that field?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Why thank you! :)
I haven't seen any of the forensic/crime series that are popular these days (apart from half an hour of "lie to me" which is the least factual crime show I know of - none of what he does is possible). CSI is more forensic scientists, who are far cleverer than I am!
Forensic psychologists tend to work in prisons, secure prisons (for mental health offenders) and the community; their focus is on identifying causes of offending and developing interventions to combat those. We deal with the most severe types of offenders. We don't solve crimes, we can't tell if you're lying and we definitely can't read your mind! My personal goal is to work in preventing young people from offeding or re-offending in a community role.

Not to devolve this into relgious discussion, but does that mean you are a creationist? I work with a couple of creationists and we had some good debates on various topics!
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Well, I'm currently very excited about upcoming Euro 2012 in Poland. I signed up for a volunteer, and got qualified. It's gonna be something new for me, finally I'll be able to test my skillz of engrish in real life, without my old pal, Google Translate. I'm also very curious how everything will come out, I truly hope it won't be a total disaster. Hopefully Poland will make a good impression on guests.
Finally, Russians will find decent parters to get drunk with, and Germans will learn the meaning of beautiful women :D

And about christianity and creationism, I myself believe that God did create the universe, but not in seven days. If we assume that God created universe, it's easy to imagine he knew/invented physics and there was no need for Him to break the laws He set himself just to speed up the evolution. That would be irrational.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I personally have a degree in jazz trumpet and am doing a master's degree as trumpet teacher. I play in a swing/dixieland band and teach trumpet part-time in a college.

As far as religion goes, I got apostasied this year. While I understand the need/necessity of a certain form spirituality, I'm generally an independent guy and am allergic to the whole concept of religion. Although I believe in some form of soul and afterlife and that Jesus might have existed (although not exactly as related in the bible imho) I don't believe in a sentient god or in paradise (or even worse, hell). So to be brief, I consider myself an agnostic.

Hope this doesn't get dragged into a religious topic and locked, I guess I shouldn't have added to it.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

I'm a writer (fiction for magazines, mainly) and parent of a two-year-old daughter.

On religion, I'm pretty agnostic (though I lean slightly in favour of the existence of some kind of deity). I don't accept a literal interpretation of Genesis, but I'm happy with the idea that God (or, potentially, Gods), may have caused and to some extent directed the Big Bang (perhaps tweaking certain parameters to ensure a universe where life was likely to arise)
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
Valinor

Post by Valinor »

Present occupation: Student (Studying computer networking)

Also: Christian, literal 7-day, young earth, creationist.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

(My actual job title is pretty damn awesome, but I can’t reveal it.) It’s actually a hybrid technician/customer service role, so most of the time I talk to people with computer issues. Diagnosis and consultation is free, and any software work is free too, which is amazing for our customers. The company I work with is highly innovative and an industry leader. I’ve been there over 6 years, and on the whole it’s good, I’m compensated well, though I’m considering a change in the future. My girlfriend also works at the same place, and I can easily commute by light rail.
Last edited by ancestral on May 20th, 2012, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Occupation: Assistant'sAssistant/Secondary Gopher/Special Operations/Grunt Worker
So, it's basically a fancy name for "works on vegetable farm, but is not too skilled at picking leeks, so they send him to get things and bring them places, or to do anything that can be done without picking leeks." :D I'm also taking some college classes so for this quarter I'm also a journalist. And on the secondary one, something like Sapient's plus valinor's minus the full time job part, at least it sounds like that if I explain it.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
lipk

Post by lipk »

I personally have a degree in jazz trumpet and am doing a master's degree as trumpet teacher. I play in a swing/dixieland band and teach trumpet part-time in a college.
I play the trumpet, too! However, I hate jazz :P
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I am studying theoretical physics.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

"works on vegetable farm, but is not too skilled at picking leeks, so they send him to get things and bring them places, or to do anything that can be done without picking leeks."
I have recently grown to love leeks.
alexanderthegre

Post by alexanderthegre »

lipk wrote: However, I hate jazz :P
*gasp* :shock:

Anyway, I'm a student who does bass gigs every once in a while.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I have to say, "hating jazz" would be like saying you "hate rock," jazz is pretty varied from corny garden variety jazz to crazy experimental stuff. It's a pretty far-reaching genre.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Crow_T wrote: I have recently grown to love leeks.
I know, right?! They're great in everything, and don't give you as bad of breath as onions.
Crow_T wrote:I have to say, "hating jazz" would be like saying you "hate rock," jazz is pretty varied from corny garden variety jazz to crazy experimental stuff. It's a pretty far-reaching genre.
I don't know, I seriously have met people who hate rock. As in, every single kind. Though that could just be because they have no musical taste (I can't say). :hmm:
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!