GOG.com

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dunno

GOG.com

Post by Dunno »

I was recently introduced to gog by my friend and I must say, I'm impressed. Have you guys ever heard about it? It's basically a web game store, but it's not your typical garbage like steam. First of all, they sell DRM-free games, which means no activation codes, no additional software, no on-line registration for every game, nothing. You just buy it, and it's yours. You can re-download, back-up and copy it any times you want :D
More importantly, they sell lots of oldies from 90s like Duke Nukem 3D, Sim City 2000, Worms (yes, the original one!), Deus Ex and many more. It's like heaven for gamers born in the 90s. All the games I was brought up on I can buy now for 6 bucks :D
Anyway, enough advertising for one post. Gog is important because it's finally a hope for gamers like myself, who want to restore the old ways in the game industry. And that is no DRMs, no downloadable content you have to pay for, and, of course, well made games for a reasonable price. I thought wesnoth forum might be a good place to encourage this revolution since we all are fans of a great free game with no fishy stuff. So if you too have nostalgia for good old games with no bs, don't hesitate, log in and support this project :D
Btw, you get a couple of free games after registering, which is awesome. Oops, there I go again :oops:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Madlok

Re: GOG.com

Post by Madlok »

And old DOS games are ready to launch on windows (via preconfigured dosbox) player don't need to know anything about emulations.
Last edited by Madlok on April 21st, 2012, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quick bats are quick.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GOG.com

Post by Crendgrim »

Yes, I also recently learned about it, and I am very curious how this will evolve. When CD Projekt RED said they would not release any more games under DRM, I was very impressed by that move, and liked them even more than I did before (they actually created awesome games, didn't they? ;) ). However, GoG is yet another subject – they are taking the term "DRM-free" to a whole new level. I do hope other companies follow them, and I also hope that not many people will misuse what CD Projekt RED created. It's an opportunity to show the big companies that we don't like their DRM's.
Another point is that DRM-free games will work a lot better on Wine, so this is also a good sign for Linux gaming.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!