Kony 2012

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Limabean

Kony 2012

Post by Limabean »

Joseph Kony is the leader of the LRA, a rebel group originally operating in Uganda that has now spread to other parts of Africa. Kony maintains his power by kidnapping children and turning them into child soldiers. His reign of terror has gone on for decades. He has taken roughly 30,000 children over that time, and murdered countless more innocent people.

Watch this video, take the pledge, share it with whoever you can, and help bring this criminal to justice.

Kony 2012
Gwynnedrion

Re: Kony 2012

Post by Gwynnedrion »

The video is dated from 2003. Also Invisible Children is listed as a scam group in Uganda. Can't really reply very accuretly atm but just wanted to post this quick reply since it has gone viral already.
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Gwynnedrion wrote:The video is dated from 2003. Also Invisible Children is listed as a scam group in Uganda. Can't really reply very accuretly atm but just wanted to post this quick reply since it has gone viral already.
Yeah but... so what?

They've made people a little more aware of some horrible stuff that goes on. Stuff that goes on simply because nobody has cared enough to stop it. Stuff that nobody has cared about simply because it happens so far away from them and they never knew.

The way I see it, even if InvisibleChildren secretly club baby seals to death and drink their blood, that doesn't diminish this campaign.
The backlash against the group that started this campaign is unfortunately killing the campaign itself. Now allowing it to grow any larger. This is a darn shame.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Aye. But what really cheeses me off is the people saying, "it's been going on for years now, why has everyone suddenly become activists and there's a huge fuss." There's nothing wrong, or bad about everyone becoming aware of an issue, no matter how long it has been around. But there is everything wrong and bad about a guy who abducts children and turns them into soldiers and sex slaves.

Edit: And I agree with Gambit.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Furthermore, one of the biggest complaints I'm hearing is:

"The kids only get 31% of the money."

How exactly would you like them to get this money to the children? The children who have been kidnapped. If they could find them and give them money, then this wouldn't be a problem at all. The critics are kind of missing the entire point.

InvisibleChildren cannot directly help the kids. So yes, they spend most of their money on these videos. That's all they can do. Raise awareness. Make people care. Lobby politicians.

What exactly would people like them to do so that 100% of the money goes "directly" to the cause? Hire assassins? Buy some tanks?
Frankly, I'm amazed they managed to find ways to spend a third of the money "directly". I've been sitting here thinking about it. The only idea I can come up with is that they must help ex-victims reintegrate or something.

Also it's shocking I know, but charities need offices, and people to work in them. And if they give speeches they need plane tickets.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

They actually respond thoroughly to nearly all the criticism that has been flying around.
http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-web ... iques.html

these are the three ways we achieve that mission. Each is essential: 1) Document and make the world aware of the LRA. This includes making documentary films and touring these films around the world so that they are seen for free by millions of people. 2) Channeling the energy and awareness from informed viewers of IC films into large scale advocacy campaigns that have mobilized the international community to stop the LRA and protect civilians. 3) Operate programs on the ground in the LRA-affected areas to provide protection, rehabilitation and development assistance.
As you will see, we spend roughly one third of our money on each of these three goals. This three-prong approach is what makes invisible children unique. Some organizations focus exclusively on documenting human rights abuses, some focus exclusively on international advocacy or awareness, and some focus exclusively on, on-the-ground development. We do all three. At the same time. This comprehensive model is intentional and has shown to be very effective.