What Operating System do You Use?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

uncleshelby

Re: What Operating System do You Use?

Post by uncleshelby »

Crushmaster wrote:I'm always either on an XP computer or a Windows 7 computer...Both pretty good operating systems, in my opinion.
Owww...
Timshel
MCP

Post by MCP »

uncleshelby wrote:
Crushmaster wrote:I'm always either on an XP computer or a Windows 7 computer...Both pretty good operating systems, in my opinion.
Owww...
uncleshelby wrote: If you post on this thread and say something sucks/you hate it, please explain.

I've used (or been forced to use) in the past 6 months:
Windows XP and 7
OS X 10.6
Red Hat, some broken crappy version that hasn't been updated in 3 years.
Cent OS, some very nice not broken and not crappy version.
iOS, some version that works on my ipod touch.
Android, I borrowed someone's tablet, they got upset when they couldn't play with their new toy.
Mint Linux, on a netbook.
Ubuntu, virtual machine for something or other.
The PS3 OS, does that even count?
Solaris, So f-ing ugly.
One Laptop Per Child OS, the social networking built into the OS is pretty neat. Security? Here have access to everything I do!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

uncleshelby wrote:
Owww...
Meh, IMO Windows is fine for the average person who just wants to do simple tasks like get online sometimes and use email. Macs are more for those who are media-obsessed (have a ton of music or something) or do artsy stuff like music composition or digital art. Linux I can't say anything about, because I've never tried it. And, of course, the above is just my personal opinion. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
blueknight1758

Post by blueknight1758 »

I use windows 7 FTW
(prepares for windows related critique)
For what I use ie. Gaming I cannot think of a better OS because macs have bad gaming press and Linux seems to complicated to me.
I also use the IOS on my iPod touch which seems pretty reliable.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

IMO, Windows is (fairly) good for anyone who just wants to use it for basic stuff (like artisticdude said), and gaming, but only because there are so many games that will only work on Windows. Mac, I haven't tried since I was 10 years old, so i have no opinion. But I have heard that it's good for art.
blueknight1758 wrote:Linux seems to complicated to me.
Linux is really much easier once you get used to it. And if you Google a problem, you're likely to come up with hundreds of solutions.
Timshel
blueknight1758

Post by blueknight1758 »

My school is packed full of macs and my house has a custom built pc in with windows and my opinion is:
Macs: Great for media editing and pictures as well as ease of use.
Windows: Great for basic use and gaming but lacks on the great media section.
And from my small experience Linux: Great for having full complete control over your system.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

What I forgot to mention, I'm running Lubuntu 11.04 on both my laptop and my wife's netbook. I like that distribution more and more because of it's performance and simplicity.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

I personally LOVE XP for its ease and coding (plus I jusd modded it to look like WIN 7. But the only bad thing now is that updates will stop shortly, forcing some to upgrade in the near future. That being said, WIN 7 is epic, blowing away Vista ( which was a scorn on Microsoft).
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

XP is good for coding? I hope you're kidding.

At least it hasn't been in my experience.
Timshel
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

I'm Win XP user as well, and I also think it's good for coding. Don't kill me please.
Well, I actually never put my hands on anything but Windows for some reason, so my opinion may seriously lack objectivity.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

uncleshelby wrote:XP is good for coding? I hope you're kidding.
I thought we already learned he is.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

shadowmaster wrote:
uncleshelby wrote:XP is good for coding? I hope you're kidding.
I thought we already learned he is.
So very true. Up until about 2 posts ago :lol2:
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

blueknight1758 wrote: For what I use ie. Gaming I cannot think of a better OS because macs have bad gaming press and Linux seems to complicated to me.
Is this still true?

I'm not really a gamer (since with a handful of exceptions, they stopped making decent games nearly a decade ago), but of the select few I do play, I find they all run better under WINE than they do on Windows. Hell, most old Windows software won't run on modern Windows at all.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

artisticdude wrote:
monochromatic wrote:I'm kind of hating that I upgraded.
Any specific reason? I'm asking because I've been thinking about upgrading, but they don't offer physical disks anymore... it has to be downloaded (which is hard for those of us with an average of 32kb per sec download speed). :annoyed: And I really don't want to waste all that bandwidth on an update I'd dislike anyway. :P
Well, it's still rather buggy. Many popular still haven't updated their apps for Lion, so that adds another layer of bugginess. Also, if you don't have at least 4GB of RAM, don't get it. Lion is pretty memory-intensive.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

averyimaginativename wrote:I'm not really a gamer (since with a handful of exceptions, they stopped making decent games nearly a decade ago), but of the select few I do play, I find they all run better under WINE than they do on Windows. Hell, most old Windows software won't run on modern Windows at all.
Old software indeed. Wine really lacks in support for DX9, DX10 and DX11 based games, and people who are not using NVIDIA or AMD’s proprietary drivers will invariably miss some OpenGL features that may be supported by their hardware as well.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.