Long live democracy

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dunno

Long live democracy

Post by Dunno »

As a Polish patriot, I have a very strong urge to remind everyone about victory over communism. Exactly 22 years ago, in Poland, the first free parliamentary election in a communist country was held and it started the fall of the communism. Sorry, Germans, we were first :wink:
Sadly enough, 22 years ago, on the other side of the world, thousands of innocent people were killed in a brutal pacification of anti-communistic demonstrations...
We all should remember about every life sacrificed in fight for freedom. Do not ever think that democracy is something granted and easy to achieve.
Solidarity-High noon, 6th June 1989
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
boru

Re: Long live democracy

Post by boru »

The Solidarity movement truly changed the face of the world. Congratulations Poland! :D
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Nice. 8) Happy non-communism day, Poland! :D
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Eclypse

Post by Eclypse »

As an idea communism can't be blame for anything, the problem is that the society wasn't ready to it, and isn't ready now.
So, it is better to say that is is a day of victory over the regime that was installed.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

You've got yourself the title of Necromancer, sir. :lol2:
On topic, I agree to your post, communism isn't evil like people might think. The problem with communism is that it require certain prerequisites (economy, society, people,..) and it's almost impossible to achieve in this time. Communism have bad reputation because of many corrupted regimes and it's totalitarian leaders (and propaganda).
And communism doesn't mean anti-democracy or anti-freedom, true communism will encourage democracy, although I doubt that we even have a true communism regime in this world.
R.I.P
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Eclypse wrote:As an idea communism can't be blame for anything, the problem is that the society wasn't ready to it, and isn't ready now.
So, it is better to say that is is a day of victory over the regime that was installed.
Are you a spambot?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Eh, I don't think he is a spambot. But if he was then my reply will be pointless.
R.I.P
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Communism will never work as long as humans are selfish.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

hhyloc wrote:Eh, I don't think he is a spambot.
Yeah well, some spammers like to take any (usually old) topic like this and post a seemingly fitting response and edit it (or their signature) later to insert links. The difference between their registration time and the post(s) often gives their intentions away. And they can come up with pretty funny responses at times, too! (I know one spammer that reacted hilariously at the “You have been banned from this board” screen and took the time to send me an interesting email in response.)

I have decided to use this topic as bait this time (it was resurrected by another spammer before) to observe their reaction at my replies, if any. FOR SCIENCE!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

shadowmaster wrote:
hhyloc wrote:Eh, I don't think he is a spambot.
Yeah well, some spammers like to take any (usually old) topic like this and post a seemingly fitting response and edit it (or their signature) later to insert links. The difference between their registration time and the post(s) often gives their intentions away. And they can come up with pretty funny responses at times, too! (I know one spammer that reacted hilariously at the “You have been banned from this board” screen and took the time to send me an interesting email in response.)

I have decided to use this topic as bait this time (it was resurrected by another spammer before) to observe their reaction at my replies, if any. FOR SCIENCE!

FOR GREAT JUSTICE
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Hulavuta wrote:
shadowmaster wrote: Yeah well, some spammers like to take any (usually old) topic like this and post a seemingly fitting response and edit it (or their signature) later to insert links. The difference between their registration time and the post(s) often gives their intentions away. And they can come up with pretty funny responses at times, too! (I know one spammer that reacted hilariously at the “You have been banned from this board” screen and took the time to send me an interesting email in response.)

FOR GREAT JUSTICE
And all thanks to Solidarity Movement! :lol2:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

I personally love Democracy. Give a big "Yahoo!" to the red, white, and blue!
Communism isn't a terrible thing, as long as the people living there don't mind it and if it was unanimously voted in as the country's political stance. Although I do disapprove of it.
Last edited by Great_Mage_Atari on August 23rd, 2011, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boru

Post by boru »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:I personally love Democracy. Give a big "Yahoo!" to the red, white, and blue!
Communism isn't a terrible thing, as long as the people living there don't mind it and if it was unanimously voted in as the country's political stance.
Reading some of the history of communism in Poland would inform you whether it was "unanimously voted for" or brought about by murder and brute force.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Eclypse

Post by Eclypse »

shadowmaster wrote:
Eclypse wrote:As an idea communism can't be blame for anything, the problem is that the society wasn't ready to it, and isn't ready now.
Are you a spambot?
No, I'm not a spambot. But I'm a bit surprised that my comment caused such a hot off-topic dispute ...
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Ok, people here misunderstand too much it seems. Communism is bad. It is. But as long as the people want it, why not? Now, if it is put into effect by brute force, then it's terrible. Absolutely terrible.
I'm all for a Democracy. I love it, I live it. Communism is terrible so long as the people living under it disapprove.
As for my last post, it was not directed specifically towards Poland.