Osama Bin Laden is Dead

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Osama Bin Laden is Dead

Post by Velensk »

Cuba would be wiped off the map in a matter of days and the world would applaud.
I rather doubt it. Both parts but especially the second part.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Really? I can see us going nuclear (perhaps even literally) over such a thing.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

If so, then you'd be overreacting more than a tad. Then again, Americans seem pretty good at overreactions.

I will still doubt that the world would applaud.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I rather doubt it.
Let's see, US invaded Panama, in total violation of international law, allegedly to apprehend one man, Manuel Noriega. The body count of civilian casualties of this "police action" measured in thousands. Noriega was a brutal dictator and a drug lord, but he is also an ex-CIA man whose drug dealing had been ignored by US for decades.

US invaded Afghanistan, allegedly to apprehend one man, who has now 10 years later been caught in another country, where he probably was all along. The occupation still prevails, after countless of civilian deaths. An islamist regime was ousted as a by-product, but they were helped into power by US in the first place, and the replacement isn't all that much better, or really even all that different.

US invaded Iraq, because allegedly it threatened US with WMDs (it didn't) and was somehow involved in 9/11 (it wasn't). A brutal dictator was ousted as a by-product, but he used to be an important US ally.

Now, if some other country would send its military into US territory, to conduct an unauthorised military action and killing people on the way, what would you think would happen to the US president if he didn't order a full scale invasion into that country?
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I have no idea. However, I'm sure he'd survive it, though maybe not politically.

I really don't think he could survive nuking Cuba.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

nuking it? probably not, if only because of how extreme that would be. though I wouldn't be surprised if he would launch a crapload of conventional missiles at 'strategic sites' all over Cuba.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

In reply to Velenk's comment:
Spoiler:
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

And again
Spoiler:
johndh

Post by johndh »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:
Why is it so wrong to be happy that Osama bin Laden is dead?
Are you equally happy about the way it was conducted?
No idea. I would have to look into it. If it was done in a way that harmed our (the US's) relationship with the Pakistanis or that harmed noncombatants, then that is regrettable, but the fact that Osama bin Laden will never again harm anyone, is at least some small victory and something to be happy about.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Aaaaand, cue the ugly side of humanity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I4CsR591FM (Warning: mild language)

too long; didn't watch version: A teacher in Texas asked a Muslim student if she was sad that her "uncle" died.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I wonder if that teacher could show Pakistan on a map.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

So was that teacher stupid or just a prick? But they left out some information...like, why the teacher thought she was related to Bin Laden? Was the girl's last name coincidentally the same? Did the teacher actually think that she was related to him, or was it just a stereotype "all asians are related" kind of thing? Is there another article or link to the whole news story? I feel they left some things out...

Also, lol, 9th grade Algebra.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I would have to look into it. If it was done in a way that harmed our (the US's) relationship with the Pakistanis or that harmed noncombatants, then that is regrettable, but the fact that Osama bin Laden will never again harm anyone, is at least some small victory and something to be happy about.
I'm afraid there's more at stake than that. Pakistan is politically highly unstable and there are already large factions that do not like the way their government bends over for US and don't think they can be trusted with maintaining Pakistan's sovereignty (and for a good reason). This incidence will just throw petrol into that fire.

Also, the operation was a violation of international law. It has now been brought to light that actually, only one person at the compound was armed, and he was the first to die, so the rest of the casualties were not "killed in a firefight" but quite frankly executed. None of them had been sentenced to death in a court of law, not even in absentia, and the operation was not authorised be the Pakistani government. Now, why should this matter? After all, they were bad guys. For one thing, there is very little real enforcement system for international law, it is mostly upheld my a code of honour. If a powerful and influential nation like US is pissing all over the law, why should anyone else obey it?

Or turning it around, if US is breaking the international law whenever it pleases, it should not complain when somebody else does it, against US interests. If how US handled bin Laden was OK, to be logically and morally consistent, it should also be OK for Panama to send a kill team to take out George Bush, who ordered the illegal invasion into Panama that led to civilian death comparable to 9/11 (That the objective of the invasion was not to kill civilians is irrelevant. If you set a house on fire knowing there are people inside, and they die, you are as good as a murderer even if your objective was to commit an insurance fraud).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

tbh, what it really comes down to is if there is anyone who would actually try and do something about what the United States is doing/has done. with the way things are set up now, as well as with the US being one of the most powerful countries in the world at the moment, the options seem very limited.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Or turning it around, if US is breaking the international law whenever it pleases, it should not complain when somebody else does it, against US interests.
Good thing the US doesn't break international law "whenever it wishes".
Sgt. Groovy wrote: If how US handled bin Laden was OK, to be logically and morally consistent, it should also be OK for Panama to send a kill team to take out George Bush, who ordered the illegal invasion into Panama that led to civilian death comparable to 9/11 (That the objective of the invasion was not to kill civilians is irrelevant. If you set a house on fire knowing there are people inside, and they die, you are as good as a murderer even if your objective was to commit an insurance fraud).
If instead of bin Laden, it were someone else the US doesn't like, say Hugo Chavez or Gaddafi, you might have a point. Last I checked, bin Laden was not a leader of Pakistan.

Or maybe if Cuba tried to assassinate Luis Posada Carriles in Florida, that would be somewhat parallel.

Did the US violate Pakistan's territory? Only because Pakistan was harboring bin Laden. If he were in detention, different story. But he wasn't.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects