Osama Bin Laden is Dead

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Osama Bin Laden is Dead

Post by Gambit »

Hulavuta wrote:new news about the assault.
Sigh. Apparently we need to wait for the government to get its story straight before we continue discussing this. xD
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Crushmaster wrote:
8680 wrote:What does that have to do with anything?
He meant to put an "S", rather than a "B." After all, their names are quite close in terms of the letters that make them up.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
what's this? :P
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Um, I WAS talking about Obama. Obama wasn't armed.

Oh by the way Osama Bin Laden wasn't armed either. Not really important but just thought I'd share it.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Mountain_King wrote:
Crushmaster wrote: He meant to put an "S", rather than a "B." After all, their names are quite close in terms of the letters that make them up.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
what's this? :P
Ouch. Poor guy. :|
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
boru

Post by boru »

An AP reporter once asked Barack Obama to his face what he would do with "The Taliban and Obama Bin Laden still at large."

I think that one wins.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Crushmaster wrote: he was a ruthless murderer, totally depraved like the rest of the unredeemed sons of Adam
Wait hold up how has no one talked about this? WHAT THE [censored] DOES THIS MEAN?

Are you saying that everyone who has not been batpised to wash away original sin is "totally depraved"?

thems fighting words
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

My opinion: OBL deserved to die, many times over. Not that I think people should rejoice over anyone's death, but I take satisfaction (not joy) in knowing that he was killed. Murderers who have done far, far lesser crimes here in the US have received the death penalty, so I strongly disagree that such an extremely depraved mass murderer like OBL should have been allowed to live in exile. Furthermore, he long ago surrendered his right to any sort of trial, in my opinion. The man was evil, period.

I heard the body was buried at sea, although I haven't confirmed that. Seems rather suspicious to me...

The amount of Obama/Osama mixups ( http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/05/a_ ... p_oba.html ) is really astounding, although understandable.

Edit: Blast auto-correct.
Last edited by artisticdude on May 4th, 2011, 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Just ignore religious fundamentalism (of any religion). It will go away. We certainly don't want to start a fight over it. Then I'd have to lock this lovely thread.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

actually he's saying that anyone who has not accepted Jesus as their savior is totally depraved. Yeah, so? Moving on...
artisticdude wrote: The amount of Obama/Osama mixups ( http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/05/a_ ... p_oba.html ) is really astounding, although understandable.
I'll have to favorite this page. :lol2:
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Oh by the way Osama Bin Laden wasn't armed either.
But he knew Kung Fu, that's why they were forced to shoot him.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
johndh

Post by johndh »

Why is it so wrong to be happy that Osama bin Laden is dead? The man was a complete monster and the world is better off without having people like him living in it. Maybe we could have captured him and jailed him, but this man's very existence was a threat. Even having a trial would have been merely a formality, as we all know the verdict. When you're in a firefight with an armed enemy force, you don't stop to try to cuff them. You shoot until the other guys stop shooting back. My only two points of contention about killing him are that we didn't get to interrogate him, so we missed out on a lot of potential information, and that his followers have the chance to glorify his death since he apparently went down fighting.

With that said, I don't think this was that big of a victory. It was something that needed to be done, but another leader will soon take his place as long as long as others share his hatred. It's not possible to fight ideas by killing individuals. -isms and -ists are not the same, and killing the -ists doesn't stop the -isms. If we want to really fight terrorism, we have to change the mindset that prompts so many people to hate and murder. Attack the root of the problem, because covering up the symptoms does nothing to cure the disease. In fact, it only makes it worse.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Moribund wrote:
Crushmaster wrote: he was a ruthless murderer, totally depraved like the rest of the unredeemed sons of Adam
Wait hold up how has no one talked about this? WHAT THE [censored] DOES THIS MEAN?

Are you saying that everyone who has not been batpised to wash away original sin is "totally depraved"?

thems fighting words
No, I'm saying that ALL humans are totally depraved, and that unless they repent of their sins and trust Christ alone (hence, two of the three verses below in my signature) for salvation, they will have to personally pay for their sins, and thus will be, at the end of time, cast into the lake of fire for all eternity.

If you wish to discuss it in-depth, please, PM me. I would be glad to talk with you.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Slightly off topic:
Spoiler:
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Personally, I regard the alternatives to the death penelty as being a ton worse.
Spoiler:
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Why is it so wrong to be happy that Osama bin Laden is dead?
Are you equally happy about the way it was conducted? The operation was not authorised by the Pakistani government, it had no mandate by the UN, it was entirely illegal. If Cuba would fly some of their special forces into Miami and kill some of the Cuban terrorists US is harbouring there (though considered freedom fighters by the US since the civilians they murdered were evil commies), it would be considered an act of war. Cuba would be wiped off the map in a matter of days and the world would applaud.

If bin Laden had been captured instead, his identity verified by DNA and then shot in the head without a trial, it would not have been any less legal or moral than what was done now, but then at least the Americans would have known for sure who they were killing.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.