Unknown Horizons

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unknown Horizons

Post by Crendgrim »

Anonymissimus wrote: Build only a single one of each of the "settlement-centric" buildings, such as marketplace, church etc. Build all of them together in the centre of the settlement. Arrange houses around them so that the covered area is filled up in such a way that every house can at least ascend a single time. Don't build any of the farms, factories etc in that area. Build farms at the coast of the isle instead. Built factories who need the goods produced by them next to them so that the farms are covered by that factory's reach.
So far it is as I'm doing it (and I'm used to do in Anno 1602, too).
Anonymissimus wrote:Set factories and farms which are currently not needed "to sleep".
Most of the time I need most factories, but when I see that I've got too much of a product, I already do so.
Anonymissimus wrote:Set the tax rate (this exists only in some versions of the anno series...) so that, unless your people shall ascend, are *almost* unhappy (so that they almost descend).
atomicbomb wrote:
  • Do everything to advance to second increment, everything's easier if you have an access to farm.
  • Reduce taxes to the lowest to boost settler numbers, it will raise your income
Your advices are interfering here :P
Actually, I tend to try to level them up to Level 2 to get access to farm, wool, bricks etc. and then raise the taxes, so my inhabitants won't get too fast to Level 3. I have problems to manage their needs on Lv2 already, because I have too less money :?
atomicbomb wrote:
  • Build houses first, then build food producer buildings, that'll help you to control the money flow.
Also an interesting idea which is worth to try. I always tried to have enough food around (I ran out of it several times).
atomicbomb wrote:
  • Trick your workers and farmers by removing roads, so they won't store on random storage. This will boost your production.
I don't exactly understand what you mean here ... is it important where my goods are stored? So, should I try to forbid clay pits to bring the clay to the storage and instead directly to the brick factory?
atomicbomb wrote:Example savegame file if you're using the current bleeding edge version : http://db.tt/n69S4Mz
Now I have to figure out how to load this. :P Won't be that hard, I guess. Else I'll ask :)

So .. thanks a lot for your advice. I'll try some of it in hope that my money won't get down to zero any more :P

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Crendgrim:
Don't know what's your problem. Tried the tutorial a bit - on the middle tax rate (which seems to allow population growth, but not ascension), the tax income exceeds maintenance costs easily even though I built both the fisherman and the hunter. This was way different in anno1503 sometimes where one had to built lots of houses until positive balance. The highest rate works probably only if you fullfill all requirements. So only thing you have to do is wait (instead of building stuff and spending money for it), but since no competitors are there that's no problem. Also you should always sell not needed goods (stuff which you can produce infinitely).
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Version 2011.01 was just released. Lots of new features.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Anonymissimus:
Okay, maybe I tried to play too "fast" ... :?

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

I don't exactly understand what you mean here ... is it important where my goods are stored? So, should I try to forbid clay pits to bring the clay to the storage and instead directly to the brick factory?
They can't do that, they must store the clay in storage first and then brickmakers will take the clay from the storages.
The workers and farmers are stupid, sometimes they will store products into far storages instead into nearest one, so I tricked them, I removed their access to far storages by deleting roads, so they will store it in right place.
If you figured out how to load my savefile, you'll find a settlement with 196K gold. It also has a good city pattern.

No money, huh? take a look at this! http://db.tt/jBaDsK6 <<Edit
Last edited by atomicbomb on April 20th, 2011, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Storages don't actually do what the name implies. The storage is all shared.

See when your producers get full they stop working. And they're unable to take whatever they have produced and give it to your town. Storages might actually be called "collectors". They spawn people that go out and empty your producers out and take the stuff into town so that they can continue to produce, and so that you can use the materials produced.