The History of Wesnoth Forums

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

atomicbomb

Re: The History of Wesnoth Forums

Post by atomicbomb »

Mountain_King wrote:ummmmmmm.....here?
:lol2:

Guys, if you found something that interesting or funny about the forums, feel free to post it in this thread. Please insert the reference too.
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Post by Zaroth »

Don't forget to make a strict HODOR opponent! (he may be accompanied by a casual HODORist who will actually understand and possibly translate what the strict one's saying for increased comedy value :-) ).

Bonus points if you twist the plot in such a way that some kind of negotiations or truce with him - choosing dialogue options between several intonations of HODOR to get him to understand you (after casual HODORist translator is mysteriously gone, dead, whatever) could be fun and randomly rewarding. :D
Last edited by Zaroth on March 22nd, 2011, 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

Zaroth wrote:Don't forget to make a strict HODOR opponent! (he may be accompanied by a casual HODORist who will actually understand what he's saying for increased comedy value ).

Bonus points if you twist the plot in such a way that some kind of negotiations or truce with him - choosing dialogue options between several intonations of HODOR to get him to understand you (after casual HODORist translator is mysteriously gone, dead, whatever) could be fun and randomly rewarding.
What's HODOR? :?:
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

This is HODOR!

It was linked in the previous post, but I couldn't resist
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Post by Zaroth »

@atomicbomb
To appreciate how awesome it is, watch at least a few replays from the linked topic (the recent ones should be from 1.8 release) or some replays by our strict HODORist on the ladder.
Well, maybe not strict by the original topic's definition, because he doesn't rename all his units to HODOR... But it's pretty troublesome to do. However, in WML it's not troublesome at all to make our strict HODORist AI have all his units named HODOR - so you should definitely do this!

A sketchy idea for a scenario (just a random one-shot encounter, to put in campaign during a long travel or between big battles): (these are the events the scenario is based on)
Spoiler:
Damn, I can even write the map & WML of this scenario, if you include it in the campaign afterwards :D

And as for big events in Wesnoth world: however unofficial, foundation of wesnoth ladder is IMHO a big event. After all, it's the home to the best 1v1 competetive Wesnoth players right now. It would probably be an overkill to make a whole scenario based on it - however, e.g. Dauntless can be a powerful neutral force if you need one ;-)

Well... I'm probably going a bit off-topic, since it's not about a campaign, but wesnoth forum history. So that's it from me for now, if you like it, I can post more of my ideas later in the correct thread.
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

Zaroth wrote:And as for big events in Wesnoth world: however unofficial, foundation of wesnoth ladder is IMHO a big event. After all, it's the home to the best 1v1 competetive Wesnoth players right now. It would probably be an overkill to make a whole scenario based on it - however, e.g. Dauntless can be a powerful neutral force if you need one
Thanks for your information! :D
Zaroth wrote:Well... I'm probably going a bit off-topic, since it's not about a campaign, but wesnoth forum history. So that's it from me for now, if you like it, I can post more of my ideas later in the correct thread.
Discuss history in this thread, and discuss about the campaign there.

EDIT: Wow, your scenario Idea's awesome! I'll try to implement that(of course if I can and if it would not unbalance the campaign)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Other memorable things:

Assasin, creator of Dark Elfs, and frequently banned for behavior

Dave being like God from The Dark Materials trilogy [used to be around doing things directly, but now he's kinda faded away, letting others run his kingdom (no word whether or not he is trapped in a big crystal though)].

Cuyo Quiz, a true class (website) clown

Religion threads in OT (see: crushmaster for more recent examples)

Doc Paterson/JW and their many alternate accounts.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Post by Zaroth »

Thrawn wrote:Dave being like God from The Dark Materials trilogy [used to be around doing things directly, but now he's kinda faded away, letting others run his kingdom (no word whether or not he is trapped in a big crystal though)].
It didn't occur to me until now that Wesnothians should be deists then - a supreme being created the universe and walked away.
Thrawn wrote:Doc Paterson/JW and their many alternate accounts.
Wait... just wait. But Doc and JW are not one person, right? :shock: Could you elaborate/give links, please?
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Fmunoz's Great Art Revamp as part of the Creation Myth!

And Dave said, "There shall be Light-" When Fmunoz butted in and said "Your Lighting Sucks, Let me do this."

And he did this, and it was good. Until Jetryl showed up. Then it was better.

(Wesnothian Creation Myth, Chapter 1:1)
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

bigkahuna wrote: The final blow came when the Council [of Developers] harnessed their power and banished Turuk's general [Noy] and his lieutenants [irrevenant, Maeglin Dubh, and such].
Wow... when did this happen?!?!?! I'm so in the dark about these things as I'm clearly not a developer and I guess someone forgot to give me the memo...
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Banning you would make a great April fools joke some year.
neki

Post by neki »

I suggest for this year's first of April you announce me as the new moderators' moderator :): that means I should have no power in moderating the players, but I should have unlimited powers in checking the mods are doing their job in a just way. That would be a bigger blast (for the people not having read this post already) than just simply banning Noy4 - that would only be my first step in the continuation of the joke :).

And I like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to Noy4 for calling him arrogant. I think a punishment was fair but a 3 weeks ban is a way overzealous decision considering also my involvement with the Wesnoth community. But no hard feelings, Noy, I'll happily wait out the whole 3 weeks ban.

Cheers!

neki
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Moving on...
Zerovirus wrote:Until Jetryl showed up. Then it was better.
That was much later in Wesnoth’s history IIRC. At least in Wesnoth 0.4.x I see no signs of Jet(h?)r[ey]l’s hand.

Also, you can’t talk about art advances without mentioning Jason Lutes, West, kitty and Eleazar! :P
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Zaroth wrote:
Thrawn wrote:Doc Paterson/JW and their many alternate accounts.
Wait... just wait. But Doc and JW are not one person, right? :shock: Could you elaborate/give links, please?
JW and Doc are different people. They each had alt accounts, like Croc Paterson, a host of "24" characters and other famous figures.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

shadowmaster wrote:Moving on...
Zerovirus wrote:Until Jetryl showed up. Then it was better.
That was much later in Wesnoth’s history IIRC. At least in Wesnoth 0.4.x I see no signs of Jet(h?)r[ey]l’s hand.

Also, you can’t talk about art advances without mentioning Jason Lutes, West, kitty and Eleazar! :P
And thus my ignorant sprite-focused myopia is revealed as the taint it is!