Time Travel/Chaos Question

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hulavuta

Re: Time Travel/Chaos Question

Post by Hulavuta »

Alarantalara wrote:General Relativity is a theory with experimental evidence. Unfortunately, it allows for a variety of interesting universes depending on how the equations are set up. Generally, the models are of very simple universes, but the consequences of these simple models are assumed to remain true in the more complex real universe. Actually confirming the existence of a closed timelike curve would be difficult, given that the models have them occurring in difficult to examine places like the inside of black holes.

So they are a consequence of a working theory, but hard to confirm. If you could show they cannot exist, then you would have found a flaw in General Relativity and thus would cause great excitement in the world of physics.
lolwut
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Alarantalara was referring to the theoretical basis for closed timelike curves, which could allow for reverse time travel on the subatomic level. General relativity IS that basis. General relativity is a superbly brilliant theory that describes the universe on a cosmological scale very well.

I am not educated enough on the mathematics behind closed timelike curves to give it a proper analysis. However I can point out that the same article referred to a conflict with quantum mechanics, so it is far from a certainty.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Insinuator wrote:quantum mechanics... far from a certainty.
Haha. I just find that funny.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

MCP wrote:
Insinuator wrote:quantum mechanics... far from a certainty.
Haha. I just find that funny.
:lol2: Same here.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!