Humble Indy Bundle #2

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bigkahuna

Re: Humble Indy Bundle #2

Post by bigkahuna »

boru wrote:Machinarium looks great, you find junk and use it to solve problems.
I played the demo and it was really nice. A lot better than other games of that kind. Maybe it's worth my two cents :lol2:
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I picked this up though I've only tried one game I havn't mentioned before which was Braid.

Braid has a powerful set-up to create difficult brain teasers and I'm impressed by the gameplay. I hate the story/thematics to the point where if they weren't skippable (so far) I might be unwilling to put up with them for the gameplay (though, as it is I suspect this is a problem few other people would share).

EDIT: Of course, the curse of my curiosity makes me read them all anyway to check to see if they get any better later (they haven't) but at least this way I know it's all my own fault.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

bigkahuna wrote:
boru wrote:Machinarium looks great, you find junk and use it to solve problems.
I played the demo and it was really nice. A lot better than other games of that kind. Maybe it's worth my two cents :lol2:
I also played the demo, although it's been a while. I thought it was okay gameplay-wise, but the replay value (as with the game's entire genre) leaves plenty to be desired. I may have tried Revenge of the Titans before, but I honestly can't remember.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
boru

Post by boru »

I played Machanarium through to the end yesterday. It really is great and you end up actually caring about the main character. Some very funny and very poignant moments here. I like how the robot will reminisce about his life while you're trying to work out the puzzles. He also has some very funny fidgets. The puzzles are mostly at just the right level of difficulty, where it doesn't all fall into place just by clicking, but difficult enough that you get a nice sense of satisfaction from working them out. Except for the ones that are so difficult you can't really tell what the puzzle actually is. Unless you're psychic you'll need to consult a walkthrough now and then. The stuff with the owl and the cat and the guy on the ladder ... well, you'll see when you get to it. But overall it's a really great game.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

boru wrote:The stuff with the owl and the cat and the guy on the ladder
GAAHHHH!!!

I needed help on that entire section, plus the wires, plus a couple other things that aren't even hinted at very well. Besides that, Machinarium is [so far] a great game. I like how you control the character and have to use his mechanics in order to do things; the mindlessly clicking around the screen in other games of that genre gets quite boring...

Braid I can't play because the system reqs are too high. My graphics aren't really that good.

Osmos is okay, more of an arcade game/Ipod game.

Revenge of the Titans... Really processor hungry, quite slow (everything is in uber slow motion on purpose). Plus, there is no tutorial to get you started. Mediocre tower defense game.

Haven't tried Cortex Command yet.
Join the new R2D forum!
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

Maybe I'm missing the point but when I checked out my download link today it said "You can now redeem your Humble Indie Bundle #2 games on Steam and Desura!" and I think it's kinda neat... Except I'm wondering why I would want to do that exactly when I can download directly from their site...? I mean I guess there might be "achievements" for all that counts for and a kind of portability but then again for that last bit they are DRM free and directly downloadable from the Bundle site, allegedly forever...

Edit: Also is it just me or has the timer been extended back to five days?
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
ancestral
Developer

Post by ancestral »

Yes, Steam for another convenience, and yes, it has been extended at least through xmas.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
boru

Post by boru »

Tonepoet wrote:Maybe I'm missing the point but when I checked out my download link today it said "You can now redeem your Humble Indie Bundle #2 games on Steam and Desura!" and I think it's kinda neat... Except I'm wondering why I would want to do that exactly when I can download directly from their site...?
Say you have a Windows desktop and a Mac laptop. You download and pay for a few games on Windows, then you take your laptop somewhere and wish you could play a game. With Steam, you could just log on and play the games you paid for there. Not everything on Steam is cross-platform, but a lot of it is.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Wewt! I just got the Humble Bundle #1 as a bonus for buying the second one, so I decided to give my thoughts (in case anyone else did too).

Samarost2 - the usual randomly click around so something will happen game, nothing too special here.

Penumbra (Overture) - haven't tried it, looks like an interesting horror game/Innovative RPG with nice graphics. Looks dark (as in morbid), though. To be expected from a horror game I suppose.

Gish - Interesting Tarball (literally) game, get to use the special features of the tarball to go through slidescroll dungeons and such.

WorldOfGoo - I like this one a lot :) Ipod Touch/Ipad style game. Use the goo to create structures to make it to the pipes. Some interesting and innovative ways to do it, I liked the gameplay a lot.

Aquaria - This one is pretty good so far. Looks promising, great graphics, nice sounds/music/has voiceovers. I believe there are some mods to it also. The gameplay is... different. You move around without attacking, exploring the area, using songs as protection/interaction spells, and cooking things for health. The storyline is interesting so far but confusing. I'll enjoy seeing how it develops. visions/their way of explaining things just ends up making you more confused.

Lugaru - This one I also like. It is moddable (albeit on a much, much smaller scale and higher difficulty than Wesnoth). It is a 3D model game with a bunch of... ninja... bunnies. I was really surprised :lol2: I started the main (and only, but there are cool mods with other campaigns) campaign which is fairly difficult. It has an extensive combat system (HAVE to do the tutorial) and a fairly intelligent AI. All in all a good game.
Join the new R2D forum!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

bigkahuna wrote:Lugaru - This one I also like. It is moddable (albeit on a much, much smaller scale and higher difficulty than Wesnoth). It is a 3D model game with a bunch of... ninja... bunnies. I was really surprised I started the main (and only, but there are cool mods with other campaigns) campaign which is fairly difficult. It has an extensive combat system (HAVE to do the tutorial) and a fairly intelligent AI. All in all a good game.
I love, love, love their approach to their combat system in that game. I've played the demo several times through, and while the graphics could use some love, all in all it's a pretty innovative and fun game.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

bigkahuna wrote: Aquaria - This one is pretty good so far. Looks promising, great graphics, nice sounds/music/has voiceovers. I believe there are some mods to it also. The gameplay is... different. You move around without attacking, exploring the area, using songs as protection/interaction spells, and cooking things for health. The storyline is interesting so far but confusing. I'll enjoy seeing how it develops. visions/their way of explaining things just ends up making you more confused.
You get the ability to fight fairly early and from then on it gets more difficult. Very much a game focused on exploration though as most fights are easy if you come with enough of the right stuff cooked up (after you figure out how to hurt them which can be tough for some of the optional fights).
Spoiler:
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."