Games discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dunno

Re: What games are you playing right now?

Post by Dunno »

I guess it all comes down to de gustibus non disputandum est, then
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

If Minecraft had "good graphics" you wouldn't be able to play it. The cubishness makes it accessible. Imagine how impossible it would be to create a good looking building in an engine like this.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Doesn't anybody play Super Mario Bros. anymore? You know, the old 8-bit days?
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Gambit wrote:If Minecraft had "good graphics" you wouldn't be able to play it. The cubishness makes it accessible. Imagine how impossible it would be to create a good looking building in an engine like this.
QFT.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Gambit wrote:If Minecraft had "good graphics" you wouldn't be able to play it. The cubishness makes it accessible. Imagine how impossible it would be to create a good looking building in an engine like this.
whoa, whoa, I didn't say anything about cubic landscape. I always try to see art in every video game. That's why my favorite games have good plot and/or good graphics and/or good music. And of course gameplay which is just a matter of taste. I don't like gameplay of minecraft, because I simply don't. It's boring to me just like classical music. Some people love it and I don't. But minecraft is not only boring to me, it doesn't include anything I mentioned above, thus it's not a game for me. That's all. I'm not saying minecraft is crap and everyone who likes it is a moron, I understand you like this kind of gameplay and cubicness is a part of gameplay.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Dunno wrote:I don't like gameplay of minecraft, because I simply don't.
Then we must force you to convert! :twisted:

...No seriously, I get what you're saying. To each his own. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

honestly, minecraft is really fun for the first week, and then once you have a diamond house, two statues of yourself, a castle, a mansion on a mountain, and hundreds of sadistic traps to kill monsters for stuff, there is nothing to do.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

That takes you a week? I've been playing for 2 weeks, and I haven't found gold yet.
Timshel
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Boldek wrote:honestly, minecraft is really fun for the first week, and then once you have a diamond house, two statues of yourself, a castle, a mansion on a mountain, and hundreds of sadistic traps to kill monsters for stuff, there is nothing to do.
That is soooooooo wrong. :o Maybe theres nothing left that you want to do, but the possibilities of what you can build on Minecraft are endless.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

honestly, pong is really fun for the first week, and then once you have [...], there is nothing to do.
That is soooooooo wrong. :o Maybe theres nothing left that you want to do, but the possible different sequences of up-key and down-key presses are endless.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

What your saying here is highly subjective, just because one person doesn't have the ideas, creativity, skill, etc to build beyond what Boldek said, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. In fact, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of decent* Minecraft players do.
I am living proof of that. I've played Minecraft for almost a year now, and haven't run out of ideas. And for a better known example, look at the Yogscast. Doesn't look like they have "nothing left to do" to me.
By saying that you run out of things to do after a week, is pretty much denying that half the Minecraft community exists. Why? Because people keep getting new ideas, and keep creating stuff that hasn't been done yet.

*By decent I mean players who enjoy Minecraft and aren't totally rubbish at it.

Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Frogger5 wrote:What your saying here is highly subjective, just because one person doesn't have the ideas, creativity, skill, etc to build beyond what Boldek said, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't
Are you suggesting that someone in this thread has claimed that no person has an interest in Minecraft greater than that of Boldek? Can you elaborate on that?
enchilado

Post by enchilado »

Frogger5 wrote:By decent I mean players who enjoy Minecraft and aren't totally rubbish at it.
I don't think you can be rubbish at Minecraft.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

enchilado wrote:
Frogger5 wrote:By decent I mean players who enjoy Minecraft and aren't totally rubbish at it.
I don't think you can be rubbish at Minecraft.
haha good point :lol2:
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Frogger5 wrote:What your saying here is highly subjective, just because one person doesn't have the ideas, creativity, skill, etc to build beyond what Boldek said, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. In fact, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of decent* Minecraft players do.
I am living proof of that. I've played Minecraft for almost a year now, and haven't run out of ideas. And for a better known example, look at the Yogscast. Doesn't look like they have "nothing left to do" to me.
By saying that you run out of things to do after a week, is pretty much denying that half the Minecraft community exists. Why? Because people keep getting new ideas, and keep creating stuff that hasn't been done yet.

*By decent I mean players who enjoy Minecraft and aren't totally rubbish at it.
okay, so you can build yourself Edoras, or a functioning grand piano, or Hogwarts, or a mountain made out of gold, or a city, but the adventure of requiring tools and wares and armor and ores is gone. people complain that building is tricky, so they put it on peaceful and use cheats. that right there is what I am talking about. after 1.8, people complained that endermen were ruining their buildings, so they put it on peaceful all the time to help their building time and preserve the structures. so it just becomes a game where you just build, and build, and build. how many people even watch those showcases of your X statue and say: 'wow! I have never thought of that before! why didn't I build X statue?'
of course people thought of it before, they* just liked to play on normal becuase it's fun to kill things while you build.
uncleshelby wrote:That takes you a week? I've been playing for 2 weeks, and I haven't found gold yet.
if you find redstone, or lapis lazumi, you should be in the neighborhood. unlike diamonds, my hunch is that gold is usually exposed. you find diamonds by simply getting to the caves that are on the bottom with lava, it should be there (I once wandered into a cave early in a game, didn't even have iron yet, and wandered all the way down until I found a cave with 21 diamonds just lying over the place. I was like screaming my head off when a second later I fell into a lava pool.)

*Boldek thinks fly mod, peaceful, and builder are a boring combination.

edit when I mean week, I meant the week of playing a world. I have been playing for a two months.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild