Games discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

styles1005

Games discussion

Post by styles1005 »

Ok, so I seem to recall that there was a topic a while back in here that had people posting lists of freeware games/just games in general that they enjoyed. I guess the autopruner got it, because I don't see it anymore. I'd like to restart the topic, mainly for selfish reasons; I just uninstalled Dragon Age: Origins from my computer and have been looking for some games to waste my 10 gigs of free space on. :P

I'll start off:

Freeware:

Battle for Wesnoth - Of course!

UFO: Alien Invasion - I found it interesting, even if I never got past a couple of months into the campaign.

Commercial:

Command and Conquer: Generals

C&C:G: Zero Hour - The expansion to the above, adding new campaigns for all of the sides, "Generals" with modified versions of their sides, and a single-player "Challenge" mode that allowed you to choose a general and battle the others on premade maps (Kassad, the stealth general, was particularly annoying.)
Last edited by Gambit on October 26th, 2011, 12:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Stickified.
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Freeware Games

Post by Pentarctagon »

The Age of Empires series has been pretty good so far, though tbh i would recommend AoE 2 over AoE 3. Partially that's because I dislike its use of stealthed units, afaik you can't save multiplayer games, but mostly because you can have a max of 2 teams or do a free-for-all (they also really didn't put a lot of effort into the ai. the only difference between difficulties is how fast they gather resources compared to the human player.). Also, on AoE 2, if you have 2+ people pick the same color and civilization, you both get to control the same player in the game :lol2:

Age of Mythology is also very good (imo much better than AoE):
1. The ai has multiple strategies, as well as multiple settings
2. for single/multi-player it has 12 slots instead of 8
3. if for some reason save-files don't matchup, the game will download the correct file from the host computer.
4. it has more unit variety with 'hero' units, 'myth' units, and even some flying units.
5. etc.

Stronghold Crusader is good, not so much from a combat system point of view (it stalemates way too easily), but from a realistic perspective its awesome without becoming overly complicated.

@C&C Generals: Also a great game, possibly my favorite, though it is a bit glitchy (i often get OOS for multiplayer, sometimes it crashes with a 'serious error', and one map has indestructible buildings :roll: ).
btw, what general do you play as?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Pentarctagon wrote:The Age of Empires series has been pretty good so far, though tbh i would recommend AoE 2 over AoE 3. Partially that's because I dislike its use of stealthed units, afaik you can't save multiplayer games, but mostly because you can have a max of 2 teams or do a free-for-all (they also really didn't put a lot of effort into the ai. the only difference between difficulties is how fast they gather resources compared to the human player.). Also, on AoE 2, if you have 2+ people pick the same color and civilization, you both get to control the same player in the game :lol2:

Age of Mythology is also very good (imo much better than AoE):
1. The ai has multiple strategies, as well as multiple settings
2. for single/multi-player it has 12 slots instead of 8
3. if for some reason save-files don't matchup, the game will download the correct file from the host computer.
4. it has more unit variety with 'hero' units, 'myth' units, and even some flying units.
5. etc.

Stronghold Crusader is good, not so much from a combat system point of view (it stalemates way too easily), but from a realistic perspective its awesome without becoming overly complicated.

@C&C Generals: Also a great game, possibly my favorite, though it is a bit glitchy (i often get OOS for multiplayer, sometimes it crashes with a 'serious error', and one map has indestructible buildings :roll: ).
btw, what general do you play as?
Yeah I'd recommend 2 over 3 as well... Mythology never played but would love to..... UFO alien invasion love it.... Try the Marathon Remakes there awesome... IMO there's nothing like blasting aliens.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

If you're looking for a challenge (mental not reflex), don't mind sandboxes, and have a taste for bottled crazy awesome you can try Dwarven Fortress.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

It freezes on a mac... Angban and Nethack are great... If you want even more of a challenge play ADVENT.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

When I play it I play it on a mac and it's never frozen for me.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Frogger5

Re: Games

Post by Frogger5 »

Wolfenstien Enemy Territory. :twisted:
I'm hooked. Massive fun.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

I used to love AoE and AoM, but after playing Starcraft I realized how horribly shallow and undynamic they are. There are a lot of great games you can play on emulators. You should check that out.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Freeware:
- Battle for Wesnoth
- Hedgewars
- Cube 2
- Cave Story
- Iji
- Nifflas's games (WADF, Knytt, Khytt Stories)

Commercial:
- AoM
- Cortex Command
- Warcraft 3
- Heroes 5
- Doom 3
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent (massive scary :twisted: )
Last edited by hhyloc on October 5th, 2010, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

-busy chatting in the other window.

Write more later.

Hooked on retro rpgs, currently Ariman's Prophesy or something.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

If you're looking into retro rpgs you could try Exit Fate.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Freeware:
- [acronym=Made you look!]BfW[/acronym] (Duhh)
- Frogatto (It's really fun. Plus, guess who wrote it... :D)
- Mahjong (which comes w/ Ubuntu)

Commercial:
- Jetfighter V (nice, but sort of shallow.)
- Heroes III complete (since my PC's aren't strong enough to run V)
- C&C: Red Alert 2 (Which is better than Generals IMO)
- Warcraft 3 (+TFT)
- Myst and its sequels

@styles1005: Tvtropes categorized Kassad (on General's Challenge) as That one Level, so it seems you're not the only one who hated/hates him.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

It's gaining momentum!

@Pentarctagon: I like Granger and Tao. Mainly Granger - you get what I refer to as the "Big Booms" - carpet bombing, A10s, airstrikes in general - sooner, partially in USA in general and partially due to Granger's gaining carpet bombing from the Strategy Center. I don't remember if other generals do that too, though. Anyway, I like the Point Defense Lasers - helps greatly with wearing down enemy defenses.

@M_C: I like retro games in general. I don't know if it could even be classed as nostalgia, since I'm not old enough to have played any of them in their own time.

@sur.nhm (dangit, I keep thinking of it as .hnm!): Hmm . . . never heard of Myst, but even the name sounds like one of those expensive games with fancy graphics that they charge you $50 for. Not my style - I like games more when I've spent little to nothing on them. Anyway, I liked Red Alert some too, but I had to play it on my mom's old computer (hadn't figured out how to use Compatibility Mode yet,) so it froze up about every 5 seconds, which sort of ruined my enjoyment of it.

Also, I wanted to try a game called WolfQuest, but was put off by the fact that they want personal information. Does anybody know what they use this for?
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

We've had two such topics actually. One was dedicated specifically to freeware games, which you guys might find helpful and the other was games in general that included freeware games.

As for a general game I'm going to throw a hat in for the Touhou* series again because scrolling shooters are fun and this series in particular is so ridiculously inspirational it's an utter testament to its quality.

Unfortunately there's a number of small little problems related to it never being officially released into the English speaking world. The Touhou Wiki's a good English resource for getting more information, including where to get the games, demos and translation patches, if you guys are interested.

*Touhou 08: Imperishable Night Spoilers.
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

styles1005 wrote:[...]
@sur.nhm (dangit, I keep thinking of it as .hnm!): Hmm . . . never heard of Myst, but even the name sounds like one of those expensive games with fancy graphics that they charge you $50 for. Not my style - I like games more when I've spent little to nothing on them. Anyway, I liked Red Alert some too, but I had to play it on my mom's old computer (hadn't figured out how to use Compatibility Mode yet,) so it froze up about every 5 seconds, which sort of ruined my enjoyment of it.
[...]
your waaaaay off the mark. See for yourself.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.