Games discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheScribe

Re: Games discussion

Post by TheScribe »

I recently got Minecraft. It's quite enjoyable. (though I don't quite see how people get so addicted to it)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

TheScribe wrote:I recently got Minecraft. It's quite enjoyable. (though I don't quite see how people get so addicted to it)
My Minecraft experience:
1. Build a castle
2. Meh
3. Build a bigger castle
4. Meh
5. Try to build a castle on a castle
6. give up
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

I've only played about five minutes of Minecraft, and it will stay that way since now I can defend Notch online without being called a notch/minecraft fanboy.
Evropi

Post by Evropi »

Blarumyrran wrote:I've only played about five minutes of Minecraft, and it will stay that way since now I can defend Notch online without being called a notch/minecraft fanboy.
Don't you mean attack Notch?

I've done the same. Unbearably boring game. I just can't do games where you are dropped in a massive sandbox and given no aim. Roguelikes for instance (ToME4 :D), while allowing lots of freedom and side-tracking, still have an ultimate goal. It's why I like Dwarf Fortress' adventurer mode but don't find Fortress mode very fun. I can't do without a goal of some sort. I like scripted games (as long as they allow freedom in gameplay--note that separation), okay? That's why I love Wesnoth.
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Well, if you really want a goal you could try to take down the ender dragon...
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Evropi wrote:Don't you mean attack Notch?
... no, that wouldn't make any sense, why would I be called a minecraft fanboy if I attacked notch?
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I actually liked Garry's Mod despite of hating minecraft. Building a massive catapult out of containers and lanterns that shoot cars at zombies was pretty fun :D

edit: I've bought myself Assassin's Creed III yesterday. And I must say, I'm very impressed! Since 3rd part of a trilogy is usually the worst (e.g Mass Effect) I was surprised by how good AC 3 is. They actually improved the game instead of copying everything from previous parts. And graphics are absolutely astonishing; especially the snow. I think it's the first game that managed to animate snow so it looks like real snow, not like white concrete. Moreover, the gameplay finally requires more thought and skullduggery, contrary to AC 2. In AC 2 your character was a walking tank equipped with shrapnel bombs, shock bombs, smoke bombs, pistols, crossbows, throwing knives, poisoned knives, hidden blades, long swords, short swords, etc, etc. And you didn't even need any of these, since your health was ridiculously high and you could steal your opponent's weapon with one click.
If you're still wondering if the game is worth buying - well, it certainly is. You have my word on that.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I am failing to understand what is minecraft about. You just build things from some bricks... I think it would be more beneficial if minecraft players came to a sandpit and had fun with children and together, kinda like an improved multiplayer.
Skyrim toolset is better for building a country, IMO :lol2:

I like mostly RPG games, I like thinking about character builds when not playing.
My favourite game was Diablo II, but Diablo III was a scam, no character building :augh: . I also liked Skyrim, but with proper build planning, my first character became a megadestroyer that could kill the final boss with two blows.
I am actually playing mostly Neverwinter Nights 2, the D&D character system is excellent. Classes, feats, skills, attributes, spells, quite balanced damages, excellent multiclass combining... flawless. Just if the gear was more interesting there, like in Diablo II.

If I need just to play something mindlessly, I play Oni, an older, anime-styled game, combining shootouts and hand-to-hand fight games (weapons have low damage and ammo is more rare than in Resident Evil). It is super hard (on easy difficulty, other difficulties are even worse, many people could not even complete the first mission), usually forcing you to think a lot about using the terrain, fighting them one-by-one... as a result, my brain will not have any rest I wanted :lol2:

I tried Assassin's Creed, but I always somehow wanted it to be more RPG-like to be the game I play mainly, and it is quite easy compared to Oni.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

The last game I really enjoyed was Bastion, yeah it's a button-smasher but pretty cool just the same, the character is very customizable, and there is a good story, told while you are playing, as well.
lipk

Post by lipk »

I've just finished Trine 2. I really hope they will release the DLC for Linux as well.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I am currently having a lot of fun playing Happy Wars. It's really good for a free download.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Marche

Post by Marche »

Recently I've been playing this game called Battle for Wesnoth...

Picked up White 2 today, about to see how fifth gen goes. Also got a headset, so I can truly experience the 'joys' of online multiplayer.
Shut up! I'm not tough; I'm not strong!

You shouldn't hold back so much. Always thinking with your head--denying what you want!
Seldam

Post by Seldam »

At the moment I play Battle for Wesnoth. It's a nice game, but I don't like a few things on it (luck for example, but they had this topic already).
Competitive games are the funniest anyway.

I played Warcraft 3 (an RTS) for 2 years but with the time even this legendary game loses the brilliance.
League of Legends was also fun, but after a time you get annoyed by the low-level-skill.
Minecraft can be a lot of fun too, but you need a few friends. Alone it is boring.

I love strategy games, however I am losing the interest for gaming. With 2013 I will focus on more important things.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I am losing the interest for gaming. With 2013 I will focus on more important things.
I feel the same way, been gaming since the atari 2600, so it's all come and gone. I tend to like Wesnoth though because it is a canvas for outside creativity, and that keeps it interesting. Plus you can't go wrong with the theme ;)

Anyhow, I'd love to play the Zelda series, but the cost of a console for one game is not worth it!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Freeware:

1. Battle for Wesnoth
2. Xonotic
3. Warzone 2100
4. Planeshift
5. Wolf Quest RPG

Commericial:

1. Jets n' Guns
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium