Don't say it! (you'll kill one)

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Don't say it! (you'll kill one)

Post by Iris »

BTW, everyone's missing a far more controversial point that's hidden at the start of the thread.
Midnight_Carnival wrote:I do. I'm 27, male and apparently sane
I don't believe MC is sane. I don't believe anyone here is sane. Otherwise, why are all of us wasting our lives on a fantasy-themed computer game instead of doing, you know, "Real Life" stuff? :P
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

:o Thread derailer! :x :evil:

^joke
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

shadowmaster wrote:Otherwise, why are all of us wasting our lives on a fantasy-themed computer game instead of doing, you know, "Real Life" stuff? :P
Because time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time :)
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
boru

Post by boru »

I have never read an old folktale about a human/fairy encounter that ended well for the human. Has anyone else? (note: Pokemon episodes don't count as old folktales :P )
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Tons of folk tales in Chinese demimythology that involves transformative spirits that go from animal form to beautiful female form. The protagonists of these tales usually end up immortal, with immortal, beautiful wives, or both.

I'll dig up a book of them and translate some if anyone's interested.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Russian fairy tales often end with happily ever after a hero saves/helps some kind of magical creature that turns out to be a beautiful woman, so that could count depending on your definition of fairy. (hardly ever a normal fairy though)

What about Peter Pan and tinkerbell? (if you count that as a folktale, of course)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Zerovirus wrote:Tons of folk tales in Chinese demimythology that involves transformative spirits that go from animal form to beautiful female form. The protagonists of these tales usually end up immortal, with immortal, beautiful wives, or both.
Interesting.

Western European folk tales tend to be the complete opposite, i.e. as horrible as they can get for the protagonists.

(See also: The Fair Folk.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
boru

Post by boru »

The Asian (including Russian) tradition is very different from the Western fairy tale. Dragons, for example, bring good luck and scare away evil, while in the West, they were considered the epitome of evil.

Next year, Peter Pan will celebrate its centenary. Folk tales go back a thousand years or more.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Dragons are rather misnomers. The West heard of the oriental dragon, thought "wow we can't really find an equivalent, so let's just call it the scariest thing evar" and titled them Oriental Dragons. If I had my way they'd be known as Great Serpents or Divine Serpents; it'd better represent their nature anyways.
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

shadowmaster wrote:Western European folk tales tend to be the complete opposite, i.e. as horrible as they can get for the protagonists.
I guess this has something to do with early christian propaganda, trying to show that the old religions are bad for you :).
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Huumy (as possibly perceived by some people) wrote:I guess this has something to do with <religion>, trying to show that <other beliefs/religions> are bad for you.
Hmm, 'kay...

Should I do this again, or lock the topic instead?

YOU decide! Let's hear the voice of the people!

*cheers from the crowd are heard*

Although IIRC there's some stuff in western tradition that predates Christianism or its apogee. :hmm:
On a related note, one of my many quirks is that while I'm interested in (or even fascinated by) historical matters like this, I rarely bother to do any research by myself. Yes, shame on me, etc.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

:doh: (Instead of continuing the religion talk)
Araja wrote:I believe that magic is a general term for anything we can't understand or explain.
Or in other words, the real life version of "A Wizard Did It".

I'm not saying strange things don't exist, I'm saying that they're only classed as magic until someone figures out what's actually going on.
Arthur C. Clarke got it perfectly in his third law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Hear hear.
Show an iPod to someone from the middle ages and see if they class it as magic.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Araja wrote:Hear hear.
Show an iPod to someone from the middle ages and see if they class it as magic.
How do you get there? Magic?
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You don't even need to go back to the middle ages for that one. You ask most people you meet how computers work and they will have not the faintest idea. It may as well be magic understood only by wizards involving arcane symbols and languages not known to them. The only real difference is that it isn't regarded as some inherently evil power.

EDIT: To be on topic, I see no reason for faeries not to exist however if they do I suspect that most of the lore manufactured for them is false. I have never seen one and see no reason to base any of my plans on the assumption that they do exist though.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."